Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to visit Briidlington, and I've liked being able to park for free, and get a free charge. Trouble is the last couple of months both chargers are in use every time I arrive. Being slow chargers people connect for hours.

Clearly it would be great if the powers that be put in a second post for another 2 evs. That doesn't seem a very likely prospect. The county council seems to have inherited this charging post from PopPoint about 18 months ago.

I'm afraid the free charging plus free parking while charging is probably too much of a good thing. If you live locally why wouldn't you do as much charging here as you could? Free electricity. I admit to being tempted to hook up on occasion when the post was actually out of order, as it often was when run by PodPoint.

Regretfully, if no extra chargers are forthcoming, I think the Council needs to consider withdrawing the free parking, or finding a way to charge some small fee for the power. Otherwise these posts aren't going to attract visitors because visitors aren't going to get a look in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is the problem with free charging, there should be a modest fee so those that can charge at home or elsewhere will do so. Tesco is most likely in line to get 4 Pod-Point AC sockets soon which will help, but they will also be free. At least there now is the paid-for rapid at Morrisons for those who need it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
To dissuade locals from plugging in to a free charger and walking home for the day it needs to be priced at least above what most home tariffs are, eg 15pence/kWh. Then only locals who genuinely did not have access to charge at home would use it, and tourists like yourself would get a fair go at it too. What are your options for Rapid charging in the area?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Tesco is most likely in line to get 4 Pod-Point AC sockets soon which will help, but they will also be free.
A lot of supermarkets now have ANPR cameras with a time limited policy so plugging in and walking away for the day wouldn't work. I doubt I'd bother plugging in at a supermarket anyway on a 7kW post, as I'd only get a few kWh of free electricity while shopping.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To dissuade locals from plugging in to a free charger and walking home for the day it needs to be priced at least above what most home tariffs are, eg 15pence/kWh. Then only locals who genuinely did not have access to charge at home would use it, and tourists like yourself would get a fair go at it too. What are your options for Rapid charging in the area?
Nothing closer than Scarborough.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I disagree, i think it should be slightly lower by say 1p, at say 12p/kwh so that those that need it as they dont have charging facilities at their abode, can use it. limiting parking to say 3hrs except overnight may be the way and maybe as suggested, another few points, even if it knocks it down to 3kw per point would be a good way to go.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I disagree, i think it should be slightly lower by say 1p, at say 12p/kwh so that those that need it as they dont have charging facilities at their abode, can use it. limiting parking to say 3hrs except overnight may be the way and maybe as suggested, another few points, even if it knocks it down to 3kw per point would be a good way to go.
Think it's already down the 3Kw per point

1 - 11 of 11 Posts