Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EVSEs with in the city boundaries are very limited and mostly only lamp post chargers and 7kw ones. In addition, the people planning these seem to think the unitary authority should only bother with the city centre and ignore the outskirts like Rottingdean and Portslade as currently the vast majority of chargers, existing and planned, are within 1km of the centre of the city. I keep telling them we need more rapids but there is little response. I understand that now they are planning a single lamp post charger for Rottingdean at 26p/kw!!! See Charging in Brighton & Hove for a map.

If you want more please email [email protected]
Mike

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
992 Posts
Try approaching businesses rather than the council. See if you can get private (Qpark, NCP and the like) car parks, hotels, pubs or supermarkets to consider it due to the demand in the area and what business it may lead to. You're wasting your time with the council as they seem to have already made up their minds. Brighton is an area that is well served by Electric Blue. And I know just how much EB like to install rapids so can guarantee you they will have put a decent amount of pressure on the council for permission to install some already. That's why I feel so sure little will change their minds at this point.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
73 Posts
Usually the role of a local council is to be a first enabler of new technology until the private sector takes over, my local council still has LPG fuelling sites from a previous scheme. Councils are not funded to provide more than a couple of chargers in each area so as 80698 says above, it is now the time for private companies who are now starting to be able to make a business case to roll out both pavement destination & rapid charging installations. Can I promote that Morrisons supermarket have been rolling out very useful rapid chargers to some of their sites, in UK rural towns these are sometimes the only rapid chargers for miles.

Reactions: MikeS

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Yes Brighton really is one of the worst. We are fortunate to have off street parking and our own charger but before we had it installed we had to rely on the single rapid at the Withdean. The few on-street chargers are often out of use and lamp post chargers blocked by ICEs (because they have no road markings).

·
Registered
319 Posts
Here in Weston super Mare, we have one rapid in a seafront multistorey car park, and one in a pub carpark on the outskirts of town near the M5. There are half a dozen 7kW chargers dotted around dealerships, which isn't a problem if you have a home charger, but very poor for a major tourist hot spot for the Midlands. (Even the supermarkets don't have chargers.)

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
427 Posts
With the green party taking control of the council (due to labour party resignations) one has to wonder how matters will change.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the green party taking control of the council (due to labour party resignations) one has to wonder how matters will change.
Given their last time in charge, probably for the worse!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts