Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to get a car with onto that has free charging with BP and Shell, this sounds great but is there anyone that lives in Bristol that can tell me what it's actually like using these two charge points ie if they are fast, reliable, usually available, etc

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,533 Posts
Here’s a list of chargers covered by the BP and Shell Cards. Use the Zap-Map app and select these networks to see what you would have access to in the Bristol area.

CYC (Charge Your Car)
BP Pulse
Shell Recharge
New Motion
Alfa Power
Chargepoint
Char.gy
E-Flux
ESB
EV Box
EVDriver
Fastned
Franklin LiFE
Grønn Kontakt
Has To Be
Ionity
LastMileSolutions
Osprey
Vattenfall
Virta

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here’s a list of chargers covered by the BP and Shell Cards. Use the Zap-Map app and select these networks to see what you would have access to in the Bristol area.

CYC (Charge Your Car)
BP Pulse
Shell Recharge
New Motion
Alfa Power
Chargepoint
Char.gy
E-Flux
ESB
EV Box
EVDriver
Fastned
Franklin LiFE
Grønn Kontakt
Has To Be
Ionity
LastMileSolutions
Osprey
Vattenfall
Virta
So I can filter in all of these on zap maps? And us any of them for free on the onto contract?
Also how do I know if one is available or do I just drive around till I find one not being used?

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,682 Posts
I'm wanting to get a car with onto that has free charging with BP and Shell, this sounds great but is there anyone that lives in Bristol that can tell me what it's actually like using these two charge points ie if they are fast, reliable, usually available, etc
Ignore the existence of BP Pulse if at all possible. The Shell card is generally a safe bet though. Looking at Bristol on Zap Map it seems a lot of the options are BP/Chargemaster (unreliable) and Geniepoint (not included with Onto)

Do you have the ability to plug in at home? The cars supplied by Onto all come with a 3-Pin 'granny' cable to use a regular plug socket. At least you will know you can always get a charge.

If BP Is your only option there and you really don't want to pay any extra costs for charging, just be VERY careful around them. Regularly check the status of them on Zap Map before you visit, make sure they are working before heading there, and have a plan B within your remaining battery range in case things go wrong.

So I can filter in all of these on zap maps? And us any of them for free on the onto contract?
Also how do I know if one is available or do I just drive around till I find one not being used?
Yes. You can set filters on the Zap Map app. That long list is all free and included between the two cards supplied by Onto. Some networks give live availability information to Zap Map too, but with others it is just a case of driving there to see if it is available or not.

·
3,533 Posts
There is also the BP Pulse app and Shell app that you can use to cross check Zap-Map status. You can read the comments of other users for any particular charge point that you’re interested in. You’ll also learn through personal experience which points you can rely on, and which you can’t. Remember public charging provision is only going to get better, so if you can make it work now, it’s only going to get easier. Where available, always choose sites where there are more than one charging device. This will lessen the chance of not being able to charge due to a faulty charger or the only one already being used.

Reactions: Dannick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is also the BP Pulse app and Shell app that you can use to cross check Zap-Map status. You can read the comments of other users for any particular charge point that you’re interested in. You’ll also learn through personal experience which points you can rely on, and which you can’t. Remember public charging provision is only going to get better, so if you can make it work now, it’s only going to get easier. Where available, always choose sites where there are more than one charging device. This will lessen the chance of not being able to charge due to a faulty charger or the only one already being used.
How long does it take to charge or top up? I'm only using it 2 or 3 times a day around town so hopefully I'll only need to charge once or twice a week but Im only guessing and would much appreciate if someone could advise me further

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,682 Posts
How long does it take to charge or top up? I'm only using it 2 or 3 times a day around town so hopefully I'll only need to charge once or twice a week but Im only guessing and would much appreciate if someone could advise me further
Which car are you wanting to get from Onto? And what would you say your mileage is in an average week?
Different cars have different ranges, battery capacities and charging speeds. If you can advise a little further we can hopefully give you a better idea of what to expect.

As a general rule you can expect to spend somewhere around 30-60 minutes at a rapid charger, or several hours on a regular AC Charging post. For the cheaper cars in the fleet a single full charge is probably going to get you somewhere around 150-200 miles to zero (but this does vary on many conditions including speed, driving style and weather for example)

·
Registered
BMW i3 120Ah w/ Onto
24 Posts
It's also potentially worth taking a look on zap-map for 'free' chargers. There are a few networks that have subsets of their network available for free charging, usually at 'destinations' like shopping centres.

While there don't look to be any right now in central Bristol, the Pod-Point Tesco network (sponsored in part by VW) is rolling out new stations every few weeks at the moment (see: Tesco Volkswagen EV Charging | UK National Rollout | Pod Point)

I was surprised to see two within a few miles of us (in London) where they install a couple of units which are mostly free - intended for while you shop but worth a look.

There are also similar setups with other chains - Waitrose and Asda both have some of their bigger shops with potentially free EV charging stations.

It's worth keeping in mind that anything 'free' is likely going to be busier so more of a bonus than anything else.

I'd also keep an eye out for 'Tesla Destination' chargers in zap-map; while the conditions around use can vary a lot, they're usually installed at businesses (e.g. restaurants, leisure centres or hotels) and often offered for free for customers, and I think almost always have one non-Tesla "Type 2" charger which can be used by any EV. In Bristol, there's one at the Redpoint Climbing Centre taking a quick look.

As above, the time taken to charge will vary with a few different factors, as will how far your chosen EV will get you on a single charge. That being said, low to medium speed start-stop driving around town is pretty optimal for EV range and better than motorway miles in that case.

Also, make sure (if you haven't already signed up) that you take advantage of someone's referral code with Onto -- you put it in when you sign up, and both you and the other person will get £50 worth of credit :)

·
3,533 Posts
Sainsbury’s East Filton worth checking out. Six 22kW Pod Points that are free to use. I’ve not been there recently, but comments in Zap-Map indicate they’re all working. You just need to download the app. You then plug in and the car will start charging. Confirm the charge with the app within 15 minutes and it charge for as long as you want. (Can’t remember if there are any parking restrictions there)

This would be particularly useful if you get a Renault Zoe as they are one of the few EVs that are able to charge at the full 22kW. And if you’re already a Sainsbury’s customer, even better!

Reactions: tyson

·
Registered
BMW i3 120Ah w/ Onto
24 Posts
Sainsbury’s East Filton worth checking out. Six 22kW Pod Points that are free to use. I’ve not been there recently, but comments in Zap-Map indicate they’re all working. You just need to download the app. You then plug in and the car will start charging. Confirm the charge with the app within 15 minutes and it charge for as long as you want. (Can’t remember if there are any parking restrictions there)

This would be particularly useful if you get a Renault Zoe as they are one of the few EVs that are able to charge at the full 22kW. And if you’re already a Sainsbury’s customer, even better!
Ah good shout checking out non-Tesco Pod-Point chargers. Indeed they look to have free charging setups at Lidl superstores (Horfield and Halls Road) as well as Cabot Circus shopping centre. As @E7EV says, you only need the Pod-Point app to 'activate' your charge session within 15 minutes of starting while you're stopped there to charge, but as always it's good to check out Zap-Map to see if anyone's reported it as broken recently, unless it's an opportunistic charge you're after :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts