Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am a founder at a Bristol based startup in the process of creating an app that will help ease charge anxiety and provide a lot of benefits for EV drivers.

We need EV owners views to assist with product development and who will also receive the opportunity to trial our solution.

We are principally looking for EV owners based in the South West and especially Bristol and Bath, however if you are very enthusiastic you are welcome to apply even if you are further afield anywhere in the UK.

I am pretty new to this site (I've been lurking for a bit getting clued up). There is a DM function so please use that to contact me. There will be no spamming etc, just questions initially, and soon a chance to try the beta trial.

In a few weeks I hope to be able to fully announce the project and provide you the website with background etc.

Thanks for your time.

Best,

EVH

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Do you want to actually tell us how you propose to 'ease charge anxiety'?

Let me help, what you need to do is:

Add an acknowledgement to the 'confirm charge' button on the pod point app

Make polar instant a bit less rubbish

Job done....

Reactions: mclarkie

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
Add an acknowledgement to the 'confirm charge' button on the pod point app
Not sure what app you use then Hugh.. but I always get that after I hit the button.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Not sure what app you use then Hugh.. but I always get that after I hit the button.
I know what you mean, I always get it too but it just seems like it is generated on the app side rather than from the post communication. It seems to happen a bit too quickly to give me any certainty that is has actually communicated with and confirmed the charge with the post. Unless it just sets a flag on the backend and the post checks that flag is set after 15 minutes...

Anyway, it works fine but it always leaves me in a little doubt as to whether it will actually 'work'...

Reactions: Pcoventry

·
Registered
199 Posts
I know what you mean, I always get it too but it just seems like it is generated on the app side rather than from the post communication. It seems to happen a bit too quickly to give me any certainty that is has actually communicated with and confirmed the charge with the post. Unless it just sets a flag on the backend and the post checks that flag is set after 15 minutes...

Anyway, it works fine but it always leaves me in a little doubt as to whether it will actually 'work'...
I'm pretty sure that you've just described how Pod-Point's system works. The chargepoint communicates with the back-end at the start of the session to let them know that someone's plugged in. The app communicates with the back-end, and it's the back-end that would remotely stop the charge after 15 minutes if not authenticated. If the comms are down, then it won't stop the charge after 15 minutes. They also send a message from the post to the back-end at the end of session, so they know how much kWh or duration to charge you for, if at all; and that's from the time at the start of the session, rather than from the time of authentication.
All in all, it's fairly foolproof, and I've only been let down once by one of Pod-Point's recent chargepoints, when the charge session finished after about an hour due to some fault.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts