Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to buy a SmartCar that is slow T2 charging only. Does not rapid charge unfortunately.

Would drive it home from Bristol area to South Scotland. Likely route would be M5, M42/A42 (passing by Birmingham), onto Nottingham area and up the M1/A1.

I know it would be a crappy trip, and take 2 days but putting that to one side, how easy would it be to get T2 charges on that route, at regular 50 mile intervals?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
By T2 I am assuming you mean Type 2. There are loads of that type of charger along your route. You should have, hopefully, no problems using the EcoT chargers and do you have a Polar Plus card? If not have you had your free trial yet? Just the length of time you'll have to sit on each charger bogles the imagination. You sure you don't want it delivered?

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
It might be better to do a non motorway route for some of it. Bimbling at 40-45 might be quicker than doing all motorway at 55-60. Roadworks areas are probably efficient though.

Plus motorway service areas will have 2 hour limits so you might get down to 40 mile hops. That's assuming it charges at 7kw though.

It's basically going to be like doing it in a twizy only at least it's water proof!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I think it would take much longer than 2 days since each stop would take about 3 hours and you'd need many of them. If its 600 miles say, thats 12 stops minimum which by itself is getting on for two days. And thats assuming they are on the way without diversions, and are working and accessible, eg working, not ICEd, or with another car charging (which likely to be there for several hours perhaps?)
Then add on driving time, another 2 days easy, and presumably some sleeping, and you are looking at closer to a week.
Add on the B&B/hotel costs and I'd have thought it would be cheaper to pay someone to transport it on a flatbed.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Neilew yep Type 2 charging only. I got a Polar Card last year with a 6 month trial and made good use of it. Might be able to get one in my wife's name next time.

@srichards I did a similar trip last year, in a 8yr old Imev with max 10kW of battery, which long story short, would not charge beyond 75-80% for most of the trip because of over heating protection kicking in. I did that on motorway roads, although it was a horrendous trip and a challenge. A bigger range SmartCar would be less challenging while on the road, but with the downside of the slow charging aspect.

@AnotherJoe I'd rest in the car (I know that won't be overly comfy!) or services stations. Trip would be meticulously planned with alternative backup options. Would also have advantage of built in sat nav which did not have last time did similar trip in I-Miev, 333 miles (should have been 265m mind you) in just over a day. See 265 miles in a iMIEV in 26hrs - a crazy trip

A flatbed would cost money and there is no challenge in that. Would be a similar trip this time, a bit over 300 miles, but with advantage of a better car and better range, just the slow charging only aspect to deal with.

265 miles in a iMIEV in 26hrs - a crazy trip

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Hmm i think google maps was telling me porkies it was saying 600 miles but I see now its 300.

Check out Aldi stores but dont stay parked for more than 2 hours !
Maybe staying off the motorway would help make the journey shorter and not add any time since you wont be doing 70.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts