Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am still sitting on the fence as to which EV to get, now or in a year, but I have contacted BG about getting a charging point for my home.

Problem is the adviser asked me for which car it need to be done.... Most likely model would be the Leaf, unless I go for a second hand Ampera. What should I go for ? Can it be easily changed if I get the wrong one ?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Welcome!

There is a way to ensure that you have the right charger installed.

There are two types... the first has a fixed, tethered cable and being fixed it can only be of just one standard... J1772 (Leaf, Ampera etc) or type 2 (Zoe, BMW i3 etc).

However, there is a better way...

You can get a charging station that does not have a fixed cable. Instead it has a type 2 socket and no cable at all. This means then that to use it you have to supply your own cable of the correct standard for the car you are charging. The beauty of this is that if you don't know what car you might get, or if you want to be able to charge all cars at your home, you can just buy the appropriate cable for the car you buy or your visitors can bring their own suitable cable.

You can get either a tethered or non-tethered charging station under the grant scheme so the choice is yours but if you go for untethered it may cost you a bit more as you then have to buy the cable separately at extra costs and they are £300-400... however, you then have the best in flexibility for you and your visitors.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts