Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just taken delivery of my Ampera and absolutly love it. I booked a British Gas Charge point and when they arrived they were unable to install it because they couldn't get an O2 signal for the data upload. Does anyone know any other organisations who who are doing this scheme who don't depend on an O2 signal. (We do get all the others but not O2)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a ChargeMaster/Polar unit fitted a couple of months ago, FOC but I paid a bit extra for a 32a unit but Idon't know what mobile network they use.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Chargemaster/Polar unit is the one I had fitted by BG and it uses the O2 network. The network coverage is the first thing they check before installation. If no one else can supply the information The office of Low Emission Vehicles have a list of approved systems but what network they use you would have to contact the supplier.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,611 Posts
I got my charging point through the Energy Saving Trust Scotland, sorry don't know where you are located. It was SSE that came and installed my Rolec unit, 32amp unit at no extra charge, and it is connected by Vodafone.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I don't know for certain but I wouldn't be surprised if all the charge stations that are approved under the free scheme use the same carrier... O2.

I am having a Rolec unit fitted in the next week or so and if they use O2 then there is a real chance that they will refuse to install here too as our O2 signal is very weak. I am hoping that it is better than my O2 phone signal suggest although that is usually indoors. I am sure it will be better on the outside garage wall.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,611 Posts
Hi Paul
On my installation there is a separate meter for monitoring charges, it is installed in next to the main consumer unit and it is this that has the usage transmitter installed, and that is where he checked reception, in the centre of the house and not at the Rolec unit. I seem to remember seeing photographs of someones installation, perhaps yours, with it installed inside a garage so hopefully you will get a good enough signal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts