Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I put a post on a FB page today about moving to Octopus. Someone immediately came back claiming British Gas was a cheaper tariff.

I went to their page (Save money with our EV tariff for your home charger - British Gas ) and there is a lot of guff about it but no rate! I tried to call in but after 10minutes listening to music i binned it. They seem to be offering 'bespoke' rates, per account, based upon what you did before, presuming average rates on 10KwH per charge session and 35% off peak usage.

I've searched this site but can't find the tariff although there is a load of annoyance at their various services.

What is the offer thats so special from them?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi,

I put a post on a FB page today about moving to Octopus. Someone immediately came back claiming British Gas was a cheaper tariff.

I went to their page (Save money with our EV tariff for your home charger - British Gas ) and there is a lot of guff about it but no rate! I tried to call in but after 10minutes listening to music i binned it. They seem to be offering 'bespoke' rates, per account, based upon what you did before, presuming average rates on 10KwH per charge session and 35% off peak usage.

I've searched this site but can't find the tariff although there is a load of annoyance at their various services.

What is the offer thats so special from them?
Have had a look as well...their website helpfully says "everything you need to know" about the tariff, I would expect this to include the cost but they do seem to have neglected that bit.

If it's cheaper than Octopus Agile has been over the past few months I will happily arrange to eat the proverbial hat. I've paid an average of 3.49p/kWh for the last month, and that's with no special attention to time of use for most things apart from charging the car and washing machine, and no solar or batteries either.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts

·
jim5452
172 Posts
Have had a look as well...their website helpfully says "everything you need to know" about the tariff, I would expect this to include the cost but they do seem to have neglected that bit.

If it's cheaper than Octopus Agile has been over the past few months I will happily arrange to eat the proverbial hat. I've paid an average of 3.49p/kWh for the last month, and that's with no special attention to time of use for most things apart from charging the car and washing machine, and no solar or batteries either.
I am sure your hat is safe!
I tried to justify getting a battery setup, but even allowing for charging it up to supply power between 4pm and 7pm it just did not add up while using AGILE, who knows what will the future hold if battery system gets cheaper or AGILE gets more expensive but at the moment there cannot be anything cheaper

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am on the edf tarrif, the only justification for edf over octopus is if you can't get a smart meter fitted. If like me you have a 3 phase supply and can't as yet have a smart meter, edf fudge the day and night rates to a 24h a day rate just under 12ppkwh.
Expensive compared to time of use tariff, but saves me money over the octopus dumb meter rate.

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am on the edf tarrif, the only justification for edf over octopus is if you can't get a smart meter fitted. If like me you have a 3 phase supply and can't as yet have a smart meter, edf fudge the day and night rates to a 24h a day rate just under 12ppkwh.
Expensive compared to time of use tariff, but saves me money over the octopus dumb meter rate.
You learn something everyday. So if you have 3phase you cant have a SMETS2.

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Octopus were fitting 3phase smart meters as of this year (but pre covid), I believe someone else has said they've started the installs again..
Octopus have told me this morning they still haven't started installs. I'd be glad to hear different. It's not them it is their sub contractors who have to agree with the COVID thing.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,880 Posts
Octopus have told me this morning they still haven't started installs. I'd be glad to hear different. It's not them it is their sub contractors who have to agree with the COVID thing.
May vary by area, but here's the post about installs starting again. Scroll up a bit on there to see posts about 3 phase installs starting..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Must admit I’ve struggled to find any off peak deal that would work for us.

we are with Green Energy, dual fuels, and pay 21 p a day standing charge and 14.5 per kw.

our milage in the EV (when it arrives) will be maybe 5000 miles a year (and even this assumes a doubling of Swmbo’s usual milage). So the amount of saving we might make at say 5p off peak is more than eaten up by the increased daily rate and much higher “on peak” charge they all seem to want.

I suppose if you are doing a lot of miles the break even point will be reached and passed, making it worthwhile. Just doesn’t seem to work for us.

unless you know differently (y) In which case I’m all ears!

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi I'm relatively new to the forum. i had a Tesla now I have an e-Niro being delivered on the 15th June.

I signed up to Octopus 2 days ago, I have economy 7 and they've told me today there is no plans to restart SMETS 2 installs at this point, but they are working hard at it etc etc etc & they'd let me know. Given some of the guff I've had from Kia customer services in the last week I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

It appears from this thread they are installing in some areas so I'll place a little pressure on them :oops:. not sure it will work.

I'll be stuck on the Octopus 12M Fixed May 2020 tariff until I ahve a smart meter installed.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
You learn something everyday. So if you have 3phase you cant have a SMETS2.
That may not be true very much longer. See Outgoing Power: Export Strength where in response to "Does this work with 3-phase meters and split-phase meters?" it says : "We’re rolling out 3-phase and split-phase smart meters in 2020 once we’ve completed testing these meters with our billing system and the DCC smart meter infrastructure. "

·
Registered
117 Posts
When pulling together a guide about tariffs I struggled to get info on British Gas. We have some figures as above, but I have a feeling they do vary. I've also seen many people saying "x tariff is cheaper than Octopus".

That's more than possible, but I've been very happy with Octopus prices. We moved to Go first and save a tonne and now we're on Agile and finding it even cheaper for now. We could go elsewhere, but Octopus' ethos, attitude, renewable energy and good customer service means we won't be leaving any time soon.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It appears from this thread they are installing in some areas so I'll place a little pressure on them :oops:. not sure it will work.

I'll be stuck on the Octopus 12M Fixed May 2020 tariff until I ahve a smart meter installed.
Octopus agreed to install my meter when I was able to assure them that the meter box was outside and easily accessible and there would be no need to come inside the house for any "safety checks" (which I assume meant checking Earth bonding which my house doesn't have or need).

I understand there is some sort of 'tracker' tariff that you could ask for without waiting for a 'smart' meter and which could work out cheaper than their 12M fix - except that they say it won't be offered if you have an Economy-7 meter.

Reactions: Mjkelly5a

·
Registered
188 Posts
If it’s any use at all for peoples intel, our podpoint has been put on hold due to our meter being under the stairs and therefore ’high risk’. Which suggests priority going to very simple installs and qualified installers refusing or charging more for high risk. Understandable but most annoying.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
349 Posts
... moving to Octopus.
Octopus is not the be all and end all for cheaper tariffs.
When it was time for me to review my energy tariff I used a comparison site, entered all the usage figures, and obtained a set of results. Looking closer there were another set of results that were available that the comparison site could not undertake the transfer for you. When I clicked to get these results I found a much cheaper non-EV tariff (with People's Energy). I undertook the transfer myself, and it went smoothly with no hiccups.
I appreciate that EV tariffs/costs vary with area, but please, Octopus is not the only cheaper supplier.
I have a very jaded view of energy tariffs; just think, if one company was that much cheaper everyone would be flocking to them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Octopus is not the be all and end all for cheaper tariffs.
When it was time for me to review my energy tariff I used a comparison site, entered all the usage figures, and obtained a set of results. Looking closer there were another set of results that were available that the comparison site could not undertake the transfer for you. When I clicked to get these results I found a much cheaper non-EV tariff (with People's Energy). I undertook the transfer myself, and it went smoothly with no hiccups.
I appreciate that EV tariffs/costs vary with area, but please, Octopus is not the only cheaper supplier.
I have a very jaded view of energy tariffs; just think, if one company was that much cheaper everyone would be flocking to them.
Really interesting and you're right Octopus is not the only good supplier out there, of course. Can I ask what the rates are for People's Energy that you were quoted?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts