Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pleasantly surprised when checking in for a Brittany Ferries crossing that the check-in agent correctly identified that I was driving an EV, and asked if I'd like to charge up on board.

I'd previously tweeted them to ask if it was a possibility and they'd said "no", but it turns out that they have 220V 16A blue commando sockets for refrigerated trucks to plug into during the crossing, and while they give the trucks priority, they often have some spare ones that they let us EV drivers use. Yay for Brittany Ferries!

On the outward journey, I'd just done a 100% range charge overnight before boarding, so I didn't bother, but on the way back, I asked for it at check-in. The request seemed to slightly bemuse the check-in staff on the French side, but she radioed over to the ship, told me who to ask for once I got there, and I was given a spot next to a 220V outlet. Top marks to them. Two of the crew then spent a good 10 minutes hunting out adaptors that I might be able to actually plug into!

However, that's where it all went pear-shaped. The Tesla UMC refused to play ball. With a commando —> schuko adaptor, I got a red light on the UMC, and got the same result even when the crew member opened up a store room and we plugged straight into the schuko socket there. With both sockets I was able to reverse the polarity of my connection, but it didn't help.

Has anyone got an idea what the problem might have been, and what I could do to diagnose it, solve it or work around it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Seems a bit hit and miss on the ferries, I know some have managed to charge and others haven't I wonder if the voltage is varying a lot on board or something else is upsetting the UMC.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I asked last september when booking by phone Portsmouth / St Malo but they said no after going off to ask, but also said other people had asked occasionally and management had noted this. So dont forget to pester them if you use the ferries, whether you need a charge or not.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I asked last september when booking by phone Portsmouth / St Malo but they said no after going off to ask
It seems like the official line is still "we don't offer that service", and they don't yet have any dedicated charge posts, but the staff on the ground are happy to help you make use of what they do happen to have available.

And yes, the more often it's mentioned to them, the sooner we're likely to get some proper facilities.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,252 Posts
I would guess it is doing a ground loop check and finding something out of spec.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Yep, the UMC is extremely fussy about earthing and won't play ball if anything is less than perfect.

Charging on the freight deck of ferries is a neat idea in theory but everyone I know who's tried it concluded it wasn't worth the hassle (and mostly it just doesn't work).

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Perhaps, but no way to be sure without trying it.

And 12h at 10A is still only saving you 15 minutes at a supercharger.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Many ships work with Phase-Neutral voltages of around 110-125v (to reduce the electric shock risk with so much wet earthed metal around) and derive a 220v supply by connecting Phase-Phase. This may confuse some EVSE's which if they detect a significant Neutral-Earth voltage consider there to be a fault, which might explain timsk's UMC's red light, as it would think there is a Neutral-Earth voltage of around 125v.

Do ships operate with an unearthed 'Neutral'? Can anyone with more experience with marine electrics comment further?

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Many ships work with Phase-Neutral voltages of around 110-125v (to reduce the electric shock risk with so much wet earthed metal around) and derive a 220v supply by connecting Phase-Phase. This may confuse some EVSE's which if they detect a significant Neutral-Earth voltage consider there to be a fault, which might explain timsk's UMC's red light, as it would think there is a Neutral-Earth voltage of around 125v.

Do ships operate with an unearthed 'Neutral'? Can anyone with more experience with marine electrics comment further?
Warships do run with a neutral unearthed. Don't know what the commercial marine practice is.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And 12h at 10A is still only saving you 15 minutes at a supercharger.
That's true, but in my case it'd mean being able to avoid a diversion to Rennes to use the only supercharger in Brittany, and instead head straight to my destination, and charge there.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many ships work with Phase-Neutral voltages of around 110-125v (to reduce the electric shock risk with so much wet earthed metal around) and derive a 220v supply by connecting Phase-Phase.
I believe that setup is routinely offered to households in Belgium — three phase at 115/220V rather than the 220/380V seen in the rest of Europe — but I'm not aware of any Tesla hardware that's designed for such a feed. I'd be up for trying it onboard if it existed!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I asked last year on the Plymouth to Santander route. Email stated no facilities.

I have booked to travel this September - will ask again. (Portsmouth - Bilbao then Santander Plymouth so two different ships).

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I believe that setup is routinely offered to households in Belgium — three phase at 115/220V rather than the 220/380V seen in the rest of Europe — but I'm not aware of any Tesla hardware that's designed for such a feed. I'd be up for trying it onboard if it existed!
I've heard that this sort of power configuration is common in parts of Norway, and that a special version of the UMC exists for that. No idea whether that's actually true, and if it is where you'd get one. All in all it still sounds like a lot of effort for very little benefit.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Five years ago I tried to charge the Roadster on the three phase red commando provided for refrigerated trailers on a ferry and got the same result. There was no neutral or possibly it was not at 0V but net result was there was not 240V phase to neutral.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts