Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally installed a Proclip for my phone today. I've been using these for a number of years, they are great quality. I was pleased to see they wasted no time getting one out for the RHD Ampera/Volt.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Thanks. Can the clips be changed? Sal has a different phone to me and we both drive the car. It would be good to be able to swap the holders over.

I am very interested in this though. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
68 Posts
Looks good, I'll definitely get one. Will be good to be able to look at Google map on the I-phone to get accurate guidance to awkward destinations when the Sat Nav let's me down!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Got it fitted now. I went for the left side version. It is great for the phone etc but a bit tight on the passenger knees.
I wonder if I should have it on the right.
6000 152mpg

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Well, as you can see from the date of my first post in this thread it has taken me the best part of a year to get around to buying a Brodit mount... in fact, I bought two... one for each car.

The good thing is that at the moment my other half and I have the same phones... Samsung galaxy S4... so we won't need the MoveClip as we won't need to switch holders. But I did wonder if the screw holes in the holder and the MoveClip were the same so that we could fit a MoveClip later if one of us changes phones?

Does anyone use a MoveClip?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Got it fitted now. I went for the left side version. It is great for the phone etc but a bit tight on the passenger knees.
I wonder if I should have it on the right.
6000 152mpg
On the Ampera I wondered whether it would snag on the passengers legs but as I drive the car more on my own than with a passenger I decided that I'd rather it that side than possibly snagging on my legs!

I have gone for the left mount and we will see if the other half complains!!!

On the Leaf I have gone for the left mount too so the wires for charging are less likely to snag me when driving.

·
Registered
991 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Cool! Thx Darren.

We both love our Galaxy S4 so I can't see us changing any time soon but you never know... ;)

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have my iPhone 5 and also need to use a Nexus 5 as we have some apps which require testing with each update. Also have an iPad mini and a Nexus 7. All have Brodit cradles, plus a cradle for my Ham radio handheld. The cradles aren't cheap, particularly if you opt for the Active (powered) type, but when you consider the cost of the device they're supporting it's money well spent IMHO.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Typical... we stay in all over Christmas and go away to visit my sister-in-law for one night and the Proclips come while I am away. So now I have to wait until Thursday, when the post office opens again, to get them.

Anyway, quite excited. I have one for each of the cars... Nissan Leaf on the centre console air vent and the Vauxhall Ampera on the left of the centre console.

I'll post some photos when I get them.

BTW, they would normally have arrived within a day or two but they were out of stock and had to order from Sweden. Not bad service consider that and time of year.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Nissan Leaf installed.

Installation is dead easy... screw the phone holder onto the proclip (2 mins), clip the proclip onto the car in its designated location... (30 secs). The whole installation took me less than 10 mins including reading instructions and I took my time to make sure it was positioned right.

Excellent bit of kit.

Now I can use LeafSpy properly without having to fiddle with the phone on the move :)

Now onto the Ampera...

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
OK, the Ampera one was almost as easy but as the Proclip was not pre-drilled I had to spend an extra couple of minutes screwing the holder onto the proclid with the sef-tapping screws. After that it installed into the Ampera as easily as the Leaf.

BTW, I have not used the adhesive strips that they suggest you use. I want to see if it will hold adequately without them first. If not then I shall remove the clip and replace it with the adhesive strips. 2 minute job I would guess!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Thats a good mounting position on the Leaf Paul, hardly have to move your eyes at all if using the phone as a Satnav for example. On the Ampera the mounting position is down low beside the transmission selector isn't it? Fine for use as a phone.. and OK using phone as a Satnav as long as you're using voice guidance - but not so easy to look at?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Agreed but it isn't that bad to be honest. Sure, it isn't as good as the Leaf but it is usable IMO with care.

The only think about the Ampera position is I am not sure how well the GPS signal will hold. Time will tell but the phone is definitely a better SatNav than the Ampera one IMO.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I've never bothered with the adhesive on any of my installs either, not had a problem yet. Shame there isn't a better option on the Ampera though, low down is fine for a hands-free but not ideal for using it for nav. The GPS signal shouldn't be an issue though, modern GPS chipsets are pretty sensitive now.

I've got my ProClips, all the charge network cards, and the tax disc arrived this morning, all I need is the car!! Not long now thankfully :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts