Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With just 9300 miles on the clock I was surprised when my 2018 plate GTE estate announced it needed an oil service.

It's a lease car so I duly booked it in as the car reached 9800 miles. The service desk said it would just take a couple of hours to do and then I could pick it up again. But three hours later I had a call to say they had spotted a gearbox oil leak and to get access had been forced to remove the entire engine (note sure if that is the ICE or the motor or both).

That was Friday and so on Monday they called to say the damage done meant an entire new gearbox was required - glad I took the offer of a courtesy car even if it is only a little Golf 7.5 oil burner.

In the days and weeks before all this there had been a couple of times when I thought the box was making some odd decisions - maybe changing down a little slower than expected or feeling slightly flat when pulling away from the occasional junction. To be honest I put all of that down to software and not hardware.

So I was interested to see if anyone else had experienced similar, or if your car is going in for service get them to check the gearbox levels, seals/gaskets as there has clearly been some shoddy QA at the VW plant.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Mine will be going in for its first oil service soon - it has just started giving me the reminders. I haven't notice any oil on my drive, but given what you've said I'll take a good look before it goes in so there are no surprises! The gearbox is behaving absolutely perfectly as far as I can tell.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,003 Posts
A leak is a leak. Leaks happen. Sounds like it is just foul luck in this case, rather than VW bungling.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I find DSG does take a few wrong turns in its decision to up/down change and holds on to gears necessarily which resorts in me having to grab a paddle to relieve the engine rpms bouncing off the red line. But on the whole I'll live with it v's stirring the box myself.

Ironically my local dealer has been hounding me to book the car in for a DSG oil change over the last two weeks. They know it was at 31,000 miles at the last service a few weeks ago (in which they overfilled the engine oil somewhat that the car didn't like it and had to revisit a day or two later!) They admit the gearbox oil doesn't need changing until 40,000 miles, I'll likely hit this marker late January. So odd they are chasing me in early given its a VW finance car (unless they wrongly think I am paying for it?)..........or they know something I/we don't?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So picked the car up last night (it has been ready for a couple of days, but I was out of the country on business). Delighted to say everything seems to be in order. I managed to have a quick chat with the head of the service department who told me they had not seen this before, but had heard about similar failures at such low mileages.

As my wife would say 'maybe it was built on Friday afternoon when everyone was trying to go home".

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update.
Got a call from the VW dealer who replaced the gearbox to say they had been asked to send it back to Germany for investigation.

I was then asked to bring the car back to the dealers so a 'small plastic part' could be fitted - still involved the box being taken out again so another two day visit.

My question is (which no one was able to answer): 'Was this small plastic part missing from my original gearbox or was this some sort of Apollo 13 hack which the VW boffins 3D printed and rushed to Blighty to prevent me needing another gearbox?'

Second question: 'Have I now got a small plastic part that you guys all need?'

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
After the thread we had about why EVs don't have gearboxes - I think you've answered that question for us.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,003 Posts
After the thread we had about why EVs don't have gearboxes - I think you've answered that question for us.
GTE isn't an EV, by a conventional definition. It is an electrified ICE hybrid, and has a conventional ICE gearbox with a motor wedged into it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I might be joining the club with you on this fault!

In today for a DSG Oil Service. A telephone call in the afternoon confirmed they have found oil leaking between the engine and gearbox. They are taking it apart and if it is the gearbox at fault they plan to replace the whole box and have it back to me in a week. Which isn't bad with two bank holidays in between!
The gear changes have been a little clunky recently, but nothing too major. Will update with the diagnosis.
Lex are dropping off a "big car" in the morning, which will be interesting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts