Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only charge at home using 13A socket. My yellow cable has some dark brown spots along it. Wondering if this indicates fault with cable or possible fire risk. Anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Maybe post some pics? Are you sure the dark spots aren't mold or dirt or some solvent? Does the cable get warm during charging? If not, the spots are probably not a problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are a couple of photos. I thought they might have been where the cable was on the floor in a small pool of water where the rain had dripped off the car in the garage. But some are near the charging plug and would never touch the floor when charging - see the second image where the brown spots are slightly out of focus because the phone focussed on the floor not the cable which is nearer.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,848 Posts
That does look like damage from overheating, as if the inner cores are burning their way out of the cable.

·
Registered
866 Posts
What Wonko said.

I take it you haven't modified the charger to charge at more than the 10 Amps? Buy another and discard that IIWY.

·
Premium Member
3,887 Posts
Yep, stop using it and take it back to the dealer if it’s inside warranty.

The dealer may argue that it’s an accessory and not covered by a warranty, but I’d try anyway!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, you've confirmed my concerns. It was supplied with the car. There's been no modification - I just plug it in to the usual domestic socket. I'll go to the dealer and ask for a replacement.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for pics. “Spots” certainly look like burn marks. Yes, you need a quality replacement cable.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If that is an overheating / burn mark then I would think trading standards would like a look at it. It should not be possible for a suitably specified cable to overheat when run at its design capacity so that IMO suggests there is serious problem. If any more appear then a recall could be needed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took the cable to the local dealer. They thought it was faulty and are sending it to VW. They think there is evidence that the cable had been run over. If so it was done at the original dealership - it was a demo car with 1007 miles on it when I bought it. There's no way I would have run over it the way I stash the cable after charging, but whether they believe me is another question.

I have to use a public charging station now as I've only got that cable. However as I've never done this before I'm looking forward to the experience. Just took a photo of the other cable to see what I need to know about selecting appropriate charging points. Already got zap-map on the phone and I've located 3 reasonably local points.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,540 Posts
Internal damage to the wire strands, for sure. From whatever cause.

·
Registered
34 Posts
One possibility is damage from a badly coiling the cable - a sharp bend can snap the strands.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts