Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car reminded me (in case I needed it) that it was cold this morning! The "Engine running due to temperature" warning came on 6 times in my 70 min, 45 mile commute which is a new experience for me.

Since the temperature and range dropped (now only an indicated 38 miles), I'm having to use some ICE juice to get to work :(

Question is, what exactly does firing up the engine for a minute or so do? And since it's burning my precious petrol (and since I've had my Ampera, I've got a bit 'precious' about NOT using petrol), is it most efficient just to accept it, switch to Hold mode, turn up the heating and make the most of it?

Any of you more seasoned Ampera owners give any advice?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Mine too this morning; just accept it...or get a BEV ;)

One of the few benefits of an ICE - heat as a by-product.

Reactions: nattydread

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
You can change the temperature that it starts the ICE at, somewhere in the car configuration options... Mine hasn't kicked in yet even though it was 2C this morning.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Mine kicked in at zero today. I figure the GM Engineers know what is best for the battery.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You can set the engine to come on at 'cold' (2c) or Very Cold (-10). I set mine to the latter setting when i got the car, my ICE has never come on in two winters.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Yep that's how I have mine set too. With the pre-heat option, the car's plenty warm enough by the time I get in so I don't see the need to run the ICE too...

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK - I accept that the engine starts when it's cold (or doesn't if you set it to the 'very cold' setting), but why does it come on? And if it's important, then how come you can switch it off by changing to the -10 setting? Just seems a bit strange to me...

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If the ICE runs, it can use the heat generated by it to more quickly heat the cabin, batteries etc, and better demist the interior of the car. I guess it means it uses less battery power than it otherwise would - as usual it's a trade-off of ICE vs battery. For reference, running the full windscreen demister and rear window demister with max aircon uses 6kW!

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I had mine set to very cold, but it still ran and used 8miles of petrol range out of a 40 mile journey ! I'm sure it felt cold, but wasn't even below 0.....

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
372 Posts
3 degrees here in Essex this morning. I preheated on elec and drove 12 miles - all elec with no ICE

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I was really frustrated with mine, as I arrived with about 11 miles of electric left, which is about what I should have used instead of the petrol!
Need to find the 'off' switch ;)

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Se
I was really frustrated with mine, as I arrived with about 11 miles of electric left, which is about what I should have used instead of the petrol!
Need to find the 'off' switch ;)
Set the engine heating to very cold. That's what I set the wife's Volt to, not come on yet! M

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi my Ampera ICE came on this morning for the first time since I've had it, didn't notice what the temp. was but had a frosty screen. The battery charge is now down to 30 miles, and the car is outside, anybody getting the same, more or less.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Hi my Ampera ICE came on this morning for the first time since I've had it, didn't notice what the temp. was but had a frosty screen. The battery charge is now down to 30 miles, and the car is outside, anybody getting the same, more or less.
Yup, pretty much mirrors my experience, range shows 36-39 miles on a charge, actual range is 29-36 miles with the heating, fans, seat, rear window on.

Not had the engine fire up again, so hopefully that gremlin is out of the system!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Engine came on a few times this morning because of the cold.

A question about pre-heating:

I have my car on delayed charge which finishes at 6.30am. I put my preheat on at 7.15am. When I came out at 7.30am the cycle had finished and the green light was on...which usually indicates charging.

Is it just indicating that a preheat has run or is it trying to top up the battery again? If so, how can it do that if I'm on delayed charge? Given that it's over-riding the 'delayed charge', how long will it take to get back to full battery/range?

What is the point of preheating (other than getting into a warm car) if you end up having to leave it to go cold again to ensure full range?

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Brooktop, I think you'll need to wait a couple of mins after pre-heating finishes before the light starts blinking again to show fully charged. A couple of times I've gone to the car after 10 mins (say 7.10) to find the display reading 'charging complete at 7.15

I pre-heated twice this morning (06.20 and again at 06:40 and by 7.10, the car was warm, free of ice and the seat was cosy. Significantly, despite the 'ICE' (aptly named for this morning), coming on several times, I did my 45 mile commute with 6 miles range left - and used only 0.25 galls over 11 miles running on ICE. That's a load more electric miles than I was anticipating. Perhaps pre-heating more than once when it's really frosty is a good idea?

But I still don't understand why we can switch the ICE to come on at 2C or -10C.... There has to be a reason why it's programmed to come on 'due to temperature': to save battery stress / prolong battery life? ensure engine oil doesn't thicken too much and cause engine damage when it fires up? So what's the consequence of switching from the 2C to the -10C setting? I wonder if GM Volt forum has any ideas...

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Had to do the wifes school run yesterday in her Volt. 2 x preheat , did the first 4 miles on Hold to heat the car up, turned heating down to eco 21 , cruise control @ 70 mph, careful accelerating and braking, total of a 35 mile return journey and still only got 24.5 miles battery range out of 10.2kwh used.

Mind you this is the coldest use so far since we got it in September, as it was -1 when we set off and only 2 when we returned.

Mind you at these temps the wife will use the battery range in 19 miles most likely!!!

M

1 - 20 of 48 Posts