Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon.

Since getting my PHEV, I've only been able to aquire a single quote for a home charge point and that pencilled out at 600 quid after the OLEV grant. Being in Scotland a further £300 claim back grant is available from our energy saving trust, but thats still about £300 installed.
This was for a podpoint non-tethered unit.

This seems a bit on the high side given that the rolec website advertises their unit for £295 installed (ok, its from 295) but thats with only the OLEV grant factored.

Now my car doesn't have a large battery and is already limited to 16amps by the onboard charger, so I'm only interested in getting a 16amp/3.4kW unit fitted.

My install is about as straightforward as they come, standard semi-detached with electrical incoming line in the cupboard under the stairs and we have a cellar with easy access for running cable to the front if the house. Car lives on the adjacent driveway.

Anyway, my question is, what have others in Scotland (Glasgow) paid for installs and who did you use?

I've two other enquiries I'm still waiting to return a quote.

At the moment I've jury rigged the 10amp granny charger to get by, and I am considering just mounting a weather proof box outside and fitting the granny charger within that with the plug from that running through the wall to a supply within the house. Even with the granny charger I'm only ever 3 hours from empty to full so its not a big deal.

Any advise or information gladly received.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
920 Posts
I bought a 2nd hand podpoint, wiring & main switch from ebay. Just needed a 20A cutout, some 20mm conduit and a bit of tinkering to make it work.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Cheapest option is switch to octopus use mine or someone’s free £50 credit and get the ohme commando for £199 then a local spark or diy if you can to complete it. Other than that you will be hard pressed to get under the £400 + grant plus all the faffing about to get the install done.

·
Registered
806 Posts
With the OLEV £500 and EST £300 top my Chargemaster didn't cost a penny.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't mind me asking, who did the install and when was that.
Judging by the Rolec £295 (OLEV) nationwide offer it should be possible to get an install in Scotland for very little.

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Since getting my PHEV, I've only been able to aquire a single quote for a home charge point and that pencilled out at 600 quid after the OLEV grant.
This was for a podpoint non-tethered unit.
Now my car doesn't have a large battery and is already limited to 16amps by the onboard charger, so I'm only interested in getting a 16amp/3.4kW unit fitted.
My install is about as straightforward as they come, standard semi-detached with electrical incoming line in the cupboard under the stairs and we have a cellar with easy access for running cable to the front if the house. Car lives on the adjacent driveway.
That all seems outrageously high.

Was it from Podpoint themselves or another supplier?

Can you publish the details of the quote - there must be some very expensive hardware in there?

There is an ongoing discussion as to whether the OLEV grant has encouraged excessive charges - it could be argued that the EST has gone even further.

FWIW a PodPoint on a standard installation is currently £800 - 900 gross. Did you opt for a 3.6 or 7.2 kW, thethered or not?

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, who did the install and when was that.
Judging by the Rolec £295 (OLEV) nationwide offer it should be possible to get an install in Scotland for very little.

Thanks

Andy
Just under a couple of years ago, untethered. Located in garage, straightforward install. Found charge master to be cheaper than local installers who were absolutely hopeless. So I had no home charging for three months...

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Re-reading the quote they've quoted a 32amp/7kW unit but I doubt that affects the price much.
Quote below with particulars cropped out. It was a local OLEV grant approved sparky outfit.
That is a "we don't want the job" quote. They are overcharging for the unit by £130+VAT, and £240+VAT labour - what on earth is their labour rate as that should be two hours work?
You'll find that any quote now will be more expensive than before due to the OLEV grant reducing to £350 and the new amendment to the regulations prompting a lot of installers to add an extra bit of kit. Even so, it should work out cheaper than that unless you have missed an important detail regarding the installation.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Re-reading the quote they've quoted a 32amp/7kW unit but I doubt that affects the price much.
Quote below with particulars cropped out. It was a local OLEV grant approved sparky outfit.
I think you will find if you get a quote directly from the company that makes the charger they tend to come in cheapest. Although possibly a bit more picky if it’s a more complicated install.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is a "we don't want the job" quote. They are overcharging for the unit by £130+VAT, and £240+VAT labour - what on earth is their labour rate as that should be two hours work?
That was my thoughts. Labour should be £180 a man/day. As you say its a mornings work for one guy. They're office is only a 20 minute drice from my house for which they are charging 10 quid for as well!

You'll find that any quote now will be more expensive than before due to the OLEV grant reducing to £350 and the new amendment to the regulations prompting a lot of installers to add an extra bit of kit. Even so, it should work out cheaper than that unless you have missed an important detail regarding the installation.
I don't think I've missed anything. They did mention they install a bit of kit that throttles the charge rate if the house comes close to drawing the main breaker load, but as the car can only draw 16 amps and the rest of the house doesn't draw anywhere near that much I don't see much value in that.

The heaviest load in our house would be the electric oven. The hob is gas as is the hot water and heating and the light bulbs are all CFL or LED so barely any load there.

I knew the OLEV grant was reducing, but if I could have someone install before the end of March I would just qualify for the existing grant (faint chance)

Andy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you will find if you get a quote directly from the company that makes the charger they tend to come in cheapest. Although possibly a bit more picky if it’s a more complicated install.
I've submitted an enquiry via the Rolec site, but that just got passed to their local installer who I've had to chase for a quote (which I don't have yet).

Here's hoping though, if they can come close to the £295 website price bearing in mind I have a what I consider to be a total plain vanilla install, then with the EST grant it would be quite cheap.

Andy

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Go for a 32A unit as although it is likely to be marginally more expensive but future proofs for an EV in the future.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you're not interested in getting a 7kW point installed as future proofing (which is what I would be doing if I was getting quotes because they're be tiny differences in price), you might want to look at getting a 16A blue commando socket put in (literally just a cable run and a socket). You could then connect an Ohme cable (through octopus, so £199 instead of £400) or something similar.

If you're so inclined, you can get cheaper EVSEs from china. This video is a good deep dive on a couple of units, including their safety aspects.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I can get a reasonable quote then I agree, I may as well go 32amo to future proof.

But I'm not spending 600 quid to effectively go from 10amps to 16amps, its just not value for money.

Ref; the 16amp commando socket, again its just not really worth it if I can just stick my existing 10 amp granny unit in a permanent box outside and run the 230V plug inside.

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
You would be lucky to get a spark for less than 250 a day to do this type of work lots more involved than the end user is aware

·
Registered
7 Posts
With a small battery PHEV an outdoor 3 pin socket and granny charger would be more than adequate. Then save up for a charge point when you move to a BEV ;)
This is the problem 3 pin plug version of charging is not safe method of charging for long durations and requires alterations to the circuit to meet electrical regulations

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You would be lucky to get a spark for less than 250 a day to do this type of work lots more involved than the end user is aware
Is it a half day job or a whole day job? We had a sparky refit our incoming distribution MCB board as it was a shambles when we bought the house. That was a lot of terminations and it was only a half day job.

Regards

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I have had two fitted, neither as "standard installations", and both took less than two hours each for the electrical work. I'm quite happy with the concept of paying £40/hour (the going rate around here) but how does that get to be 6 hours work unless there is a lot more work required than the OP suggests?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts