Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 9 years of driving and succesfully never hitting anything of course the most expensive car I've owned I go and hit a gate post :(
Unfortunately reversing out onto a busy road (no other choice at works carpark) I clipped the OSF on the gate post backing out. Bumper has come unclipped beneath the headlight and is a bit bent and there is a dent in the front wing. I haven't inspected further as needed to go back into work.
I'm not sure if I ought to go to my insurer with this or get it done privately. I'm worried I could be without a car for a long period if the parts are hard to come by, I suspect it could need a new front bumper, hoping the dent in the wing will pull out.
Has anyone had issue getting bodywork done? Insurers will come take it and give me a courtesy car and just bring it back when its done, its the simplest option by far but then I'll have an at fault claim hanging over me. I don't want to be lumped with a huge bill if it turns out the parts are tricky/expensive and I need a car for work whilst its being repaired.
Any advice welcome.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Ouch!
Get a local body shop to quote you first, it may be repairable as its slow speed, the bumper is plastic and may be reformable in the right hands.

Avoid the idiots that panic when any form of EV turns up ;)

The Amp like any battery car needs a low-bake oven for the paint, roasting the batteries is a no-no :)

Reactions: DomJ

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,732 Posts
As @Spiny says, try a reputable local bodyshop, the bumper could well be repairable, even tears in the plastic can be plastic welded. It may just need to be clipped back in and until it is it will look bent until it is back in its natural place. If as you say the bumper has a bit of a ding then it might be that the bumper will not fit properly until this is fixed too. Most insurance and big bodyshops will only replace damaged parts and so claims tend to be high due to the cost but if you can find someone that will repair it then all the better,

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Got a mate with a heat gun and a garage? It works wonders 😆

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks as always for helpful replies, I have got it booked into a local bodywork shop tomorrow for a quote. I'm going to have a closer inspection this evening and see if its possible the bumper will clip back on or could be made to, I'm hoping nothing underneath is torn meaning it won't just go back on. As for the dent in the wing that'll obviously be a repair but it's right at the join between wing and bumper so I figure it might be easy to get to the back of it and push it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts