Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 21 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone can help please.

I am due to collect a brand new Leaf n-Connecta 40kwh on Monday and have today been given a VIN SJNFAAZE1U0078662. I am concerned that this car has been lying around for 3 months or so as the previous new Leaf n-Connecta I bought in early December had a VIN ending 79653. I am told by the dealer that they received the vehicle on 9 January but I am concerned it might have been sitting in a compound at Nissan before that.

Can anyone who has bought a new Leaf in the last 4 months offer any guidance by reference to their VIN please? E.g. could you advise date of delivery and advise please where the VIN sits in sequence relative to the above 2 numbers quoted.

Thanking you in anticipation.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,212 Posts
Aren't some of the items in the car stamped with build dates on? It used to be the case that it was in weird places a date stamp was on. Seatbelt buckles or similar. Tyres will also have a date code on them.

Is there a VIN look up system with Nissan? I'd probably ring another dealer and ask them if a VIN can be tied down to a particular build date.

I'd think a lot of cars are sat around for several months and that's normal. I doubt if there are many that pop out of the factory and are in the hands of the owner in less than a month from the build date.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
My VIN is SJNFAAZE1U0093058

I was assured that it left production line on Thu 30th Jan and I collected from dealer it on Thurs 6th Feb

My previous one's VIN was SJNFAAZE1U0000034 and it was first registered 31st Jan 2018. Bizarre that all the places in the two VINs are identical except for the serial numbers ! Volvo create theirs to identify which options are specified for the vehicle - I'd have expected to see differences between my two when one was a 40kWh Acenta and the other is a 62kWh Tekna.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My VIN is SJNFAAZE1U0093058

I was assured that it left production line on Thu 30th Jan and I collected from dealer it on Thurs 6th Feb

My previous one's VIN was SJNFAAZE1U0000034 and it was first registered 31st Jan 2018. Bizarre that all the places in the two VINs are identical except for the serial numbers ! Volvo create theirs to identify which options are specified for the vehicle - I'd have expected to see differences between my two when one was a 40kWh Acenta and the other is a 62kWh Tekna.
Thanks Eric, I am wondering if the 62s were allocated a batch of serial numbers out of sequence as by comparison with what I have seen that is a really late number.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Thanks Eric, I am wondering if the 62s were allocated a batch of serial numbers out of sequence as by comparison with what I have seen that is a really late number.
If they've only built 93,000 in 2 years they won't have built many in the last three weeks. But I've absolutely no idea if the 'serial number' part of the VIN is strictly applied in order of production or in batches. I doubt anyone will post a higher number any time soon.

FWIW, mine was 'ordered to spec' although it wasn't my spec : the dealer seems to have a policy of keeping a stock of them within their group rather than relying on what Nissan might have stockpiled in the factory yard and I chose mine from the forthcoming contenders. I'm actually pretty easy to please : I didn't really care what colour it was as long as that didn't push it into the LCT catchment area, would have accepted a toy spare wheel kit (but would have tried to adapt cradle for a full size spare later) though none were instantly available. If removing Bose was a refundable option, I'd have gone for that - but it isn't (or at least wasn't till the new 'economy' model was announced).

Reactions: JKenH

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also posted a similar question on the Nissan Leaf Facebook page and got some very interesting responses which suggest the numbering is not sequential. The VIN which immediately follows the one on my new car was issued to a car that was delivered in December 2018!

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
764 Posts
If your brand new vehicle has the new usb sockets in the rear, which it should have then it was manufactured November 2019 onwards. Still means it could have been sitting around a couple of months, which is not uncommon, I expect.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to see the car tomorrow. Initially the dealer said it wouldn’t be available until Monday. Once I can see the rear USBs I should be a lot happier. The salesman hasn’t actually seen it but says it was delivered to them on 9th January. I had made it clear that it had to be a current spec car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went to see the car this morning. It was the MY19 spec - no rear USBs. I had a long discussion with the sales manager. Apparently a car they ordered in February came through in the old spec and they haven’t seen any new spec (ie MY19.5 with rear USBs) cars yet.

Unless the car is a special order I imagine Nissan are shipping out old spec stock cars first. Has anyone seen one of the MY19.5 cars that wasn’t specially ordered?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Went to see the car this morning. It was the MY19 spec - no rear USBs. I had a long discussion with the sales manager. Apparently a car they ordered in February came through in the old spec and they haven’t seen any new spec (ie MY19.5 with rear USBs) cars yet.

Unless the car is a special order I imagine Nissan are shipping out old spec stock cars first. Has anyone seen one of the MY19.5 cars that wasn’t specially ordered?
I've just been downstairs to look at my car. At first, I was seriously worried that I didn't have any rear USBs either until I realised that they're discretely hidden underneath a flap ! That unit and the rear seat heater controls are built into the back of the 'storage box' between the two front seats.

Not completely impossible that the alleged new car is the new spec but neither sales manager or customer managed to find the USBs ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just been downstairs to look at my car. At first, I was seriously worried that I didn't have any rear USBs either until I realised that they're discretely hidden underneath a flap ! That unit and the rear seat heater controls are built into the back of the 'storage box' between the two front seats.

Not completely impossible that the alleged new car is the new spec but neither sales manager or customer managed to find the USBs ?
On the MY19 cars the rear seat heater switches are on the sides of the front seats so quite easy to spot. The rear of the storage box was as smooth as a baby’s bum.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is what you're looking for:
I had had a look at that yesterday but couldn’t see much on the sample report that I couldn’t find elsewhere. Unlike some other cars where the VIN reveals quite a lot about the car (eg Mazda MX5) the VIN on the Leaf is not that informative. All the post 2018 cars built in Sunderland have the same prefix as far as I am aware then a unique sequential number. It doesn’t distinguish between model years.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
My 'like' of #11 wasn't intended to suggest I'm happy that they've tried to con you !

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
All the post 2018 cars built in Sunderland have the same prefix as far as I am aware then a unique sequential number.
Exactly ! See my two examples in post #3

Note also that it would cost you £2.60 to find that out from the recommended website.

Reactions: JKenH

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While at the dealers I had one of their technicians interrogate the OBD but his scanner was nothing like as useful as LeafSpy. No SoH or Gids figures just a battery health bar about 40mm long which he suggested showed 100% Cell voltages tallied exactly with LeafSpy.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hi All. First post here!

I took delivery of a new 40kWh Tekna on 31st Jan and I've been doing a bit of digging to work out when it was made. VIN number ends 817xx and I reckon it was made in September 2019. I knew it was a stock car because my local dealer managed to find it within a few hours and deliver it within a week - seems fine though, really enjoying the EV experience and haven't burnt any petrol or diesel in February.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
JKenH - Very jealous of your new car at 40KW - cannot wait to hear how you get on with it next week!!!!!

1 - 21 of 37 Posts