Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my experience the rumours of Tesla's bad build quality were greatly understated. Tesla has definitely prioritised quantity over quality with the RHD Model 3's. Thought I'd start a thread to collect all issues new owner's have experienced so far.
I collected an M3 performance from West Drayton two weeks ago and took it to a SC on Monday and it has the following work that needs to be done to it:
  • Frunk lid needs replacing
  • Rear door needs re-aligning
  • Front glass roof panel needs re-fitting
  • Charge port needs replacing
  • Boot needs re-carpeting
  • Driver's sunvisor needs replacing (clip is broken)
  • Steering wheel needs replacing
  • Rear Spoiler requires replacing (is currently taped on to the car as adhesive has failed)
  • Rear floor needs "structurally reinforcing".
I thought I'd start a thread for a few reasons. Firstly to see if others have cars made as terribly as mine, and secondly to provide prospective buyers (or those awaiting delivery) with an idea of what to look for, and just how true the rumours of Tesla's terrible build quality are.
Particularly interesting in the rear floor issue, as there was a Tesla Service Bulletin to correct this in 2017, so cars made after that really shouldn't have the defect. If the floor of your rear seats visibly and audibly depresses when weight is put on it (sounds like banging an old steel drum) then I'd get to a SC asap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine wasn't quite as bad as yours, but I had a similarly long list of issues. It's clear they've been under serious pressure to pump out as many cars as possible, and QA has definitely suffered.

Most issues I think would be avoidable if they only spent a little extra time checking the quality of their work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Touch wood, not had any problems with my LR AWD. I was a little nervous prior to taking delivery but surprised how well it seems to be put together. Having worked for Honda and VAG seen what good and bad looks like over the years. They all have a ‘Friday afternoon’ car from time to time.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Only thing one with mine is paint. One at the front noticed on the day, one at the back noticed when I got home, one on top of the drivers side door (accompanied by a scratch on the roof glass so it must have been something pretty solid) which I didn't notice until the 100 mile warranty was up so will have to pay to fix myself.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,375 Posts
Zero problems with mine. Apart from no type 2 cable as of yet. They'll post one apparently.

For balance, my bought-from-new Golf GTE has been in the garage more times than any other car I've owned..

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd love to know what proportion of cars we are looking at. Makes me wish I'd waited a few months for things to calm down.

For balance, our Lexus CT200h had peeling paint on the roof, which Lexus tried but failed to fix - They said it was seagull poo corroding the paint, and because some new law which banned a certain toxic additive, meant that the paint comes off when mixed with seagull poo.

Also on the Lexus, the central locking didn't work on the rear doors. This had been happening for months and we never realised because we weren't using the back doors.

On my Nissan Leaf, there is a knocking sound when reversing and really really creaky wing mirrors when they fold. I haven't done anything about either, it's a PCP that's going back, but if it was more expensive I probably would have. Oh, and Wessex Nissan scratched the bonnet during a service and had to get it resprayed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In my experience the rumours of Tesla's bad build quality were greatly understated. Tesla has definitely prioritised quantity over quality with the RHD Model 3's. Thought I'd start a thread to collect all issues new owner's have experienced so far.
I collected an M3 performance from West Drayton two weeks ago and took it to a SC on Monday and it has the following work that needs to be done to it:
  • Rear Spoiler requires replacing (is currently taped on to the car as adhesive has failed)
I thought I'd start a thread for a few reasons. Firstly to see if others have cars made as terribly as mine, and secondly to provide prospective buyers (or those awaiting delivery) with an idea of what to look for, and just how true the rumours of Tesla's terrible build quality are.
Particularly interesting in the rear floor issue, as there was a Tesla Service Bulletin to correct this in 2017, so cars made after that really shouldn't have the defect. If the floor of your rear seats visibly and audibly depresses when weight is put on it (sounds like banging an old steel drum) then I'd get to a SC asap.
Why didn't you reject the car if it was that bad? Can you post some photos of the issues?

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Good luck OP, I don’t think some on here will be very happy you’ve started this thread!

It could be useful for new owners though, over time the common issues will be rectified post purchase and hopefully be fixed for future builds.

I’m sure Tesla have ‘run the numbers’ but I’d be surprised if it’s cheaper to retro fix stuff rather than during build/pre-delivery.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Collected our P- today in solid black.

The paint is very disappointing - more orange peel than a juice shop! In addition a few places poor cover, and a raised 'dink' on the front under the paint noted by the handover guy.
Internally lots of dust all over the front dash top, and dirty fingers marks on the (white) seats and white trim around the front passenger door pillar.
No real handover at all, the guy spent most of his time with a spray and cloth trying to remove marks and swirls on the paint. Then trying to get our phone to connect (he couldn't), then 'push the right stalk up to reverse and down to drive' and then 'good luck and enjoy it'. and off he went!
Dartford doing 30-ish per day, and 2 transporters were unloading while we were there. Will go up to 50+!
The drive home has exceeded the 100 mile reporting window, but on the up side we achieved 4.1 mile per kWh on M25/A12/A14/A140 so not too bad. (all in chill mode (mostly;)))

·
Registered
149 Posts
Everything good on mine except for a metal on metal tinkling sound from the rear of the car. It only happens over certain rough road surfaces, and Googling suggests its something I can fix myself, it is probably the rear seat back latch.

I'm amazed at how good the white paint is, no defects at all as far as I can tell. My biggest worry before pickup was panel gaps, they are fine.

A few software anomalies but I'm sure they will be fixed in time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Would be really helpful if you could post some pics along with description on how you spotted each.. Eg. How would someone go about noting the floor needs reinforcing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
OP, your car sounds like a Friday's special edition. Lets hope the service team will sort it all out for you.

Only problem I had on my P3+ was rear spoiler not fully attached properly with gaps showing, otherwise all good!

MY previous Golf GTE was rattling almost from new when travelling on certain type of road surface.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had a few issues with mine which I consider minor;

1. Boot seal wasn't properly seated
2. Washer bottle was a bit loose (manifested itself as an interior rattle)

Otherwise, I've had no issues and it has worked brilliantly.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts