Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I had a few issues with mine which I consider minor;

1. Boot seal wasn't properly seated
2. Washer bottle was a bit loose (manifested itself as an interior rattle)

Otherwise, I've had no issues and it has worked brilliantly.
Might look at my washer bottle as mine has developed a rattle on the drivers side and I'm darned if I can work out where it's coming form.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Car I have has a rattle from somewhere in passenger area and the doors on RHS not aligned correctly is what I have spotted so far.
The rattle ridiculous as it might sound could be the seat belt rubbing against the seat trim, mine was rattling thought it was the seat was loose but pointed out by Tesla mobile team (most helpful btw and gave me lowdown on loads of stuff) but pointed out the seatbelt fastener was catching on the side seat trim. Adjusted slightly felt like a right nincompoop.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
They get slagged off in the Which car guide this year:

"...among the group of cars aged 3-8 years, it's the brand with the highest percentage of faulty cars (67% of owners had an issue - two per owner, on average). It's also the brand that makes its customers wait the longest for their car to be repaired. Tesla owners told us they waited an average of five days for their car to be repaired; three days longer than the average wait time for cars of the same age."

Which include the model S in the list of cars that should be recalled for reliability issues.

·
Registered
398 Posts
They get slagged off in the Which car guide this year:

"...among the group of cars aged 3-8 years, it's the brand with the highest percentage of faulty cars (67% of owners had an issue - two per owner, on average). It's also the brand that makes its customers wait the longest for their car to be repaired. Tesla owners told us they waited an average of five days for their car to be repaired; three days longer than the average wait time for cars of the same age."

Which include the model S in the list of cars that should be recalled for reliability issues.
Yet What Car just voted them 4th in the UK for reliability - https://www.whatcar.com/news/the-uks-most-and-least-reliable-car-makes/n20072#22. A massive improvement on last year's... Last place. Looks to me like their newer cars are a lot better.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The rear floor is aluminium if you look for structural breakdowns of the Model 3:
If the floor you are talking about is in the boot, then being aluminium it will sound different.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,360 Posts
The rattle ridiculous as it might sound could be the seat belt rubbing against the seat trim, mine was rattling thought it was the seat was loose but pointed out by Tesla mobile team (most helpful btw and gave me lowdown on loads of stuff) but pointed out the seatbelt fastener was catching on the side seat trim. Adjusted slightly felt like a right nincompoop.
Thanks but it is there also when I have a passenger with me, wonder if mobile team can align driver door correctly?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks but it is there also when I have a passenger with me, wonder if mobile team can align driver door correctly?
Your best bet is to arrange appt via the app and explain what the problem is, then the service centre will analyse and determine whether it’s to go into the centre or whether mobile team will come out to you. The Edinburgh lot we’re pretty quick in answering responding to my issue/tom foolery. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ru5ty - please could you elaborate on “structurally reinforcing” the floor. My floor made an odd sound when my son was tapping it with his foot, so I’d just like to check I don’t have the same problem. Many thanks.
It is hard to describe, but is the problem described in this thread here: https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/hollow-rear-floor-normal.9525/

If you put weight on the rear floor you can hear the metal deflecting. So for me if I push down on it (as if getting up out of the seats) its sounds like a wobble board. It seems to get worse near the middle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Why didn't you reject the car if it was that bad? Can you post some photos of the issues?
I was told if I rejected the car then under the returns policy I wouldn't be able to purchase another Tesla within 12 months, which is defo a lie. I've sent the SC manager draft Particulars of Claim and have expressed my intent to litigate them along those lines.

Most of the issues are cosmetic, the car still drives fine and I am really enjoying using it. It is just that the whole experience so far is not what I expected when spending £50k plus on a car.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,058 Posts
Having listened to it I think a couple of strategically placed sound deadening sticky mats might help muffle it to a point that it is almost imperceptible. Although if it was that easy then surely Tesla would be implementing it as a 'fix'.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
We also have the rear floor flexing and making the noise as described above. Do you have any progress on your problems @Ru5ty ?
We have the usual problems, poor paint and panrl/door alignment. None individually seem worth the 250 mile round trip to a SC just for them to look, but collectively they all add up to disappointment.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a few such minor trim and fit issues, my SC were spot on getting it sorted out. Met their driver half way and swapped for a loaner S. SC got all issues sorted out within a day and then met them back again the day after. Car is now pretty damn perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Has anyone notice the poor seals and rattling bits of plastic on the hinge mechanisms of the frunk? Having googled this it seems to have been occurring in the US cars in 2018, but no one seems to know the purpose for these, although it look as though it is a cover for the hinge when the frunk is closed.

I also have a buzzing rattle coming either from the Drivers A pillar or the speaker itself. Any ideas?

The other worrying thing is that in the US rattles etc are not fixed under warranty and are chargeable! How do we stand?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Still waiting for an appointment to fix the paint issues on mine. I'm tempted to just get a body shop to do it and bill tesla.. but I'll probably give them a bit longer.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I noticed today a lot of paint missing on the internal front bodywork visible when the front doors are open. We also have a paint problem on the front bumper. I have had it looked at by 2 independent paint/detailers, who both said they have had Tesla customers come to them after taking cars to the Tesla SC for paint problems who then send them out to local bodyshops and return them in a worse state that to begin with!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Been nearly one and a half months since picking up my P-. Had a long list of things to check including fine tooth combing paint issues but I think I've said this before, at the collection event the car looked totally out of this world and I did not bother to check faults. Even to this date, I have not done a detailed inspection because the car is just great overall. My theory is that if something does not stand out as an issue (in which case I would have noticed it already) then, there is no point in a more detailed examination knowing that once discovered, will be difficult to ignore issues.

A couple of weeks ago I began to suspect something wrong with power consumption as the reading was rather high but it turns out that at the power averaged setting, it shows reasonable values so that is also a non issue.

Not suggesting there are no issues with the early Model 3s but I think it is important to distinguish between significant flaws or things that can be annoying to you constantly or more severe issues that need urgent fixes vs hardly noticeable cosmetic imperfections.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Been nearly one and a half months since picking up my P-. Had a long list of things to check including fine tooth combing paint issues but I think I've said this before, at the collection event the car looked totally out of this world and I did not bother to check faults. Even to this date, I have not done a detailed inspection because the car is just great overall. My theory is that if something does not stand out as an issue (in which case I would have noticed it already) then, there is no point in a more detailed examination knowing that once discovered, will be difficult to ignore issues.

A couple of weeks ago I began to suspect something wrong with power consumption as the reading was rather high but it turns out that at the power averaged setting, it shows reasonable values so that is also a non issue.

Not suggesting there are no issues with the early Model 3s but I think it is important to distinguish between significant flaws or things that can be annoying to you constantly or more severe issues that need urgent fixes vs hardly noticeable cosmetic imperfections.
Good point well made. If you don't notice it without consulting a list, then you should just leave it. I never checked over my previous cars beyond a brief look around. Since looking at these forums I've gone back on looked at my Leaf much closer. The bonnet is clearly off to one side, something inside the dash rattles and it makes a clunking noise when you reverse. Never bothered me.

The black paint on my Lexus is terrible, shows up the slightest blemish, and the surface layer has been peeling off the rear spoiler ever since we got it - Lexus tried and failed to rectify it and after that we forgot about it, because, guess what, you never look at the roof.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts