Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just done a spring clean on my 4 month old 3. Noticed front door seals coming unstuck under the door and lost a reflector in the door edge. Steering still creaks a bit too. Anyone else had issues.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had issues right from the start when I picked up my brand new M3 in mid March! I had a golf ball sized paint blob on the rear of the car, a scratch on the off side tail light, various paint scratches all over the car, and the biggest issue and one that really shocked me the most was the plastic cover that protects the battery under the car was coming off on the driver side. I just couldn't believe how bad the quality control was (or lack of it). The car is currently with Tesla (since Friday) and they're fixing all the defects but to be honest they should not have been there in the first place. I can forgive the odd scratch here or there but the plastic panel coming off under the car?! Truly unbelievable.

Having said all that, I do love the car. Putting all the defects aside, it drives like a dream and I couldn't be happier to own one. I should be getting the car back early this week, hopefully tomorrow. I'll be doing a full inspection to ensure everything is fixed.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Just to be clear, are you blaming the factory or the PDI, or both?

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Just to be clear, are you blaming the factory or the PDI, or both?
A combination of both I guess ?.
The factory should have picked up the paint defect “Blob” and rectified it.
The other mirror scratches have probably been caused in transit.
Either way, you have to question the level of attention spent at the dealership on the PDI really !.
The PDI in most new cars today is truly woeful, it must be said !.
Otherwise how do explain offering up a brand new car for collection with the battery case hanging off !.
An easy fix if they have the clips and the cover has not sustained any damage.
Clearly an underbody check was NOT carried out on the car then ?.
I am not just pointing the finger directly at Tesla here.
Why offer the car for collection knowing it will be returned for the items to be corrected.
Better to have delayed the delivery date by a single day and get it100% right !.
I have asked to inspect almost every new car I have ever purchased, before the collection day.
Should you need to do this ?.
Not at all, but you are sending out a message that you will NOT be paying / driving you new car away if it does not meet your expectations.
My most recent new EV was collected on 6th Jan 20.
But I made a 140 mile round trip just before Xmas to inspect the car completely before taking delivery at a latter date.
Also given the poor weather conditions on collection day, I asked for the car to be presented inside for another check over.
I was allowed plenty of time to go completely over the car, both inside and out before signing for acceptance of the standard of the whole car.
Nothing to report I am glad to say.
Much easier to get any issues sorted to your satisfaction prior to payment and after taking delivery I have found !.
Am I fussy bugger ?.
Yes, I guess I am.
I make it clear to the sales person right from the start that I will NOT be signing for the car unless it is 100% to my liking.
As a long retired “Tech” myself, I have a pretty high standard and known what these people try and get away with.
Remember, you are paying the same money for a car with multiple issues, as a car with no issues.
Please don’t rely on these people to make YOU aware of any issues THEY find.
The attitude can some times be as follows :-
“Let’s just deliver the car and rectify the snags IF the customer picks them up”.
Clearly this what has happened in your case here I am afraid.
It’s not your fault, far from it.
They should have NEVER offered the car for collection in that condition.
And I would be the first person to tell them so, poor !.
You purchase a new car to avoid having an older model spend time at the dealership.
And look where we are today.
I would strongly suggest asking the service manager to check over the car with you when you are advised it is ready for collection.
Make it clear to him / her that you will NOT be accepting the car back unless it meets your expectations.
It’s just not good enough really.
One of the few things that you do not need to worry about is receiving poor customer service, it comes as standard !.
Although it should not matter a single bit here, but it’s not like we talking about a cheap car here.
You are not asking for NO more than what you have paid for here.
Rant over, sorry.
These people at these dealerships just make my blood boil.
Fobbing people off with poor workmanship and expecting them to except it with some bull shit excuse.
SORRY, BUT NOT ME !.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,677 Posts
Noticed squeak from steering wheel usually when going up car park ramps, rear light clusters water ingress and door alignment out on SR+ I had. Also with the black paint stone chips show as white quite quickly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
A combination of both I guess ?.
The factory should have picked up the paint defect “Blob” and rectified it.
The other mirror scratches have probably been caused in transit.
Either way, you have to question the level of attention spent at the dealership on the PDI really !.
The PDI in most new cars today is truly woeful, it must be said !.
Otherwise how do explain offering up a brand new car for collection with the battery case hanging off !.
An easy fix if they have the clips and the cover has not sustained any damage.
Clearly an underbody check was NOT carried out on the car then ?.
I am not just pointing the finger directly at Tesla here.
Why offer the car for collection knowing it will be returned for the items to be corrected.
Better to have delayed the delivery date by a single day and get it100% right !.
I have asked to inspect almost every new car I have ever purchased, before the collection day.
Should you need to do this ?.
Not at all, but you are sending out a message that you will NOT be paying / driving you new car away if it does not meet your expectations.
My most recent new EV was collected on 6th Jan 20.
But I made a 140 mile round trip just before Xmas to inspect the car completely before taking delivery at a latter date.
Also given the poor weather conditions on collection day, I asked for the car to be presented inside for another check over.
I was allowed plenty of time to go completely over the car, both inside and out before signing for acceptance of the standard of the whole car.
Nothing to report I am glad to say.
Much easier to get any issues sorted to your satisfaction prior to payment and after taking delivery I have found !.
Am I fussy bugger ?.
Yes, I guess I am.
I make it clear to the sales person right from the start that I will NOT be signing for the car unless it is 100% to my liking.
As a long retired “Tech” myself, I have a pretty high standard and known what these people try and get away with.
Remember, you are paying the same money for a car with multiple issues, as a car with no issues.
Please don’t rely on these people to make YOU aware of any issues THEY find.
The attitude can some times be as follows :-
“Let’s just deliver the car and rectify the snags IF the customer picks them up”.
Clearly this what has happened in your case here I am afraid.
It’s not your fault, far from it.
They should have NEVER offered the car for collection in that condition.
And I would be the first person to tell them so, poor !.
You purchase a new car to avoid having an older model spend time at the dealership.
And look where we are today.
I would strongly suggest asking the service manager to check over the car with you when you are advised it is ready for collection.
Make it clear to him / her that you will NOT be accepting the car back unless it meets your expectations.
It’s just not good enough really.
One of the few things that you do not need to worry about is receiving poor customer service, it comes as standard !.
Although it should not matter a single bit here, but it’s not like we talking about a cheap car here.
You are not asking for NO more than what you have paid for here.
Rant over, sorry.
These people at these dealerships just make my blood boil.
Fobbing people off with poor workmanship and expecting them to except it with some bull shit excuse.
SORRY, BUT NOT ME !.
Completely agree with everything you said. The main issue with Tesla is that they're trying to be a mass producing car manufacturer, which they're struggling with. They're churning out as many cars as quickly as possible but as a result of this, a lot of the jobs are rushed and defects are glossed over.

A few scratches is inevitable as I'm sure the car is jostled about during the transportation process from the US, but for the paneling under the car to be coming off is unacceptable. It's not something you expect from a £50k car, it definitely should have been fixed before I picked it up. Either they genuinely didn't notice it or they hoped that I wouldn't look under the car.

In all fairness though, their customer service has been pretty good so far. They've been texting me every day with updates since they've had my car in the workshop, which is better service than any other car manufacturer provides.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
They're churning out as many cars as quickly as possible but as a result of this, a lot of the jobs are rushed and defects are glossed over.
There lies the problem.
Slowing the line rate down just a little, will produce a better build quality.
But that’s not going to happen.
It’s all about the money honey!.
Less hast, more speed is the mantra.
The “Quality Assurance” team should be checking / monitoring the standard of the build process at each stage of the build.
That way, rectification is carried out BEFORE the car moves on to the next stage in the build process.
This is how it use to be anyway.
I worked in a large car manufacturing plant for about 18 months, way back in the day.
Each build stage was checked by an independent “Inspector” and then he would stamp the build process sheet if he was satisfied.
If the car failed in any points of the check list, the car would be instantly reworked by a small team of “Tech’s” prior to car moving on to the next stage of the build process.
When the car was completed, it would then have a rolling road test followed by a huge inspection check sheet to ensure everything was working correctly.
Only after these where cleared inspection, would the car then go to have the interior carpets and seats fitted etc.
This was called “Final Trim”.
It very much looks like this practice does not take place anymore.
Build the entire car, then worry about the early build issues.
Which are always harder to rectify when the car is finished.
I am all for change, but only if them changes does not compromise the finished quality of the car.
Is there such a thing as a “Friday Afternoon” car ?.
Well if you have seen the amount of parts stacked in the back of a car that never got installed on the track, because somebody could not be bothered to removed two strips of masking tape from the under side of a car that I have.
Then you may think yes.
But I have been part of a team that would then have the job of completing that build by hand at the end of the track.
Happy days !.

·
Registered
47 Posts
They had two choices, sell cars with defects to hit targets so the company stays alive or make better quality cars by taking more time and become bankrupt. It’s just an unfortunate scenario where customers suffer.

Then there is the issue that quality (as well as say a proper dealership) will add costs to car. So while I agree the whole sales process was awful and the quality defects are unacceptable, it is the price to pay for a relatively affordable car with such great specs.

If Mercedes made this car, imagine the sticker price (add £10-15k at least?).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I couldn't disagree more with the above statement. To claim it's a binary choice of accept defects or the company goes bust is naive in the extreme or straight out disingenuous. Many would argue that retailing cars with legion obvious defects is in fact the route to bankruptcy, particularly in view of the forthcoming onslaught of EVs from all other manufacturers.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I couldn't disagree more with the above statement. To claim it's a binary choice of accept defects or the company goes bust is naive in the extreme or straight out disingenuous. Many would argue that retailing cars with legion obvious defects is in fact the route to bankruptcy, particularly in view of the forthcoming onslaught of EVs from all other manufacturers.
Not that I agree with the post you quoted, I'd say the truth lies some way between that post and your own. In bold are some gross exaggerations. It's a growing market segment which Tesla leads and will likely continue to lead, even as others enter with their own offerings. They'll entice some away from Tesla - but there's more enticement to be made away from ICE vehicles than from Teslas. There's plenty of room at the party. But that doesn't excuse any complacency and there's certainly room for improvement from Tesla.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not that I agree with the post you quoted, I'd say the truth lies some way between that post and your own. In bold are some gross exaggerations. It's a growing market segment which Tesla leads and will likely continue to lead, even as others enter with their own offerings. They'll entice some away from Tesla - but there's more enticement to be made away from ICE vehicles than from Teslas. There's plenty of room at the party. But that doesn't excuse any complacency and there's certainly room for improvement from Tesla.
Practically every Tesla related thread on any motoring forum mentions the defects and build issues, even the most partisan ones, to claim otherwise is denying the obvious evidence. EVERY manufacturer of cars will be offering an EV model in the coming years, many are already talking about total transition away from ICE, again to deny this is to ignore the evidence.

·
Registered
465 Posts
There's a difference between producing an electric vehicle and producing something that's as compelling as a Model 3, and at scale. There is nothing on the horizon that will match it in all areas and nobody is innovating at the pace Tesla is. There are more strings to their bow than just passenger vehicles like the Model 3 as well. If you look around for threads on other cars you'll find many complaints as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If I have it so wrong, you may want to explain why TESLA had billions in shorts against it, all which eventually collapsed due to TESLA securing funding and meeting targets against expectations?

Did you think Wall Street were short selling them due to after sales defects? Wake up will you..

·
Registered
328 Posts
Some of the stuff is simple. Dust nibs? Paint runs? Inconsistent coverage between cars? It doesn’t cost them more or take longer to do those sorts of things properly, does it?

Likewise panel gaps, why aren’t the processes/machines calibrated properly so the cars are consistent?

·
Registered
21 Posts
If I have it so wrong, you may want to explain why TESLA had billions in shorts against it, all which eventually collapsed due to TESLA securing funding and meeting targets against expectations?

Did you think Wall Street were short selling them due to after sales defects? Wake up will you..
It's been said, "if you resort to insults, you've already lost the argument", you'll probably dispute that your parting comment was just that, but does that type of comment have any place in a civilised conversation?

Can you not stand a contrary opinion to your own? I'm not Tesla bashing for the fun of it, I've been desperate for a Model 3 since manufacturing began, but on hearing about the various paint/panel gap/assembly issues, I chose to bide my time hoping to see an improvement. After watching some of the Munro videos, I wonder if my money would be better spent on a MY.

Where exactly do you think I'm hearing of all the issues? Clearly it's from owners, a lot of them identified on collection. For so many to get through PDI is not acceptable. The "Tesla Model 3 UK Owners" forum is awash with examples.

Why bring the shorts into this? I see a huge future for Tesla and I've not wavered from that position, nor did I imply anything other here.

I suspect you're happier in an echo chamber, so I'll leave you to it.

Feel free to satiate your need to have the last word and post a personal insult.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,475 Posts
I should tell you a few things about the build quality on my Kia, if you really want to know about car build quality ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts