Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my home EV charger installed (Pod Point, non-tethered variant). I've got a standard cable permanently connected (secured via an anchor point). So it's like a tethered variant. But with all the heavy rain recently, starting to wonder how waterproof the connection and cable ends are.

Is it worth my while creating a little rain roof for the charger and the charging cable end (when it's not in use)? Wouldn't take much effort and wouldn't need to be completely waterproof as long as it shields the things from the bulk of rain.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Good idea, the chargepoint I have is IP65 so I suppose keeping the torrential downpour of death off it is good. Also gives you a place where you can keep the car end dry.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea, the chargepoint I have is IP65 so I suppose keeping the torrential downpour of death off it is good. Also gives you a place where you can keep the car end dry.
It wouldn't be used for the car. I was talking about a tiny shelter for the charger only (so about 30cm x 50cm roof). Would be nice to have a big shelter enough for the car but that is beyond my DIY skills.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
It wouldn't be used for the car. I was talking about a tiny shelter for the charger only (so about 30cm x 50cm roof). Would be nice to have a big shelter enough for the car but that is beyond my DIY skills.
Oh, I meant keep the car end of the cable dry when not in use :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've been thinking of something similar for my Rolec non-tethered charger. Having searched online there seems to be a bit of a gap in the market for something like this.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been thinking of something similar for my Rolec non-tethered charger. Having searched online there seems to be a bit of a gap in the market for something like this.
Definitely. I was thinking of building something like the attached image (obviously massively scaled down). It doesn't even need to be 100% rainproof because it's already exposed to the elements so even if it diverts 99% of the rain, that's still worth doing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I was thinking I might be able to modify an old bird table to do it, but the one I had, had pretty much rotted away.

Might be economical to buy a new one and modify it perhaps?

I think this would look good adorning my chargepoint...

;)

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
No I'd say it's not worth it.

All the chargepoints on sale are designed to be left outside, and have suitable water ingress ratings to permit that, and the connectors themselves are designed to be able to used in all kinds of weather.

The only thing you need to take care of is that the car end of the cable is not stored pointing upwards where it might fill up with water during prolonged rainfall.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I have a tethered chargepoint outside, and it was soaked this morning, when I went to use. I had to wipe the plug down with a towel before I used it.

Okay, I didn't HAVE to, but I'm not keen on handling electrical things that are wet.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Maybe add a door, so someone's little darling doesn't get ideas about how much the copper in the cable might be worth at a scrapyard?

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Maybe a re-purposed gentleman’s urinal from a salvage yard might do the job?

Recycling is the way to go...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts