Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually use Waze but right now I'm fighting with Android Auto as the car keeps losing the connection so I did a 300 mile trip today using the built-in satnav. It's definitely a curate's egg: some bits are great, some bits abysmal.

Worst part were the directions as we headed up the M42 toward the M6 Toll. The junction has an A road going off to the left, a couple of lanes go straight on to the M42 North, and the three rightmost lanes go onto the M6 Toll. The satnav shows lane directions as use the right three lanes but says the road is signed "M42 N, The North" which is the sign for the wrong road. It doesn't mention M6 Toll at all until you are past the junction so anyone actually depending on the directions at that point are likely to get it badly wrong.

Is there anywhere you can report map errors? I think that junction really does need fixing.

The other bit that was both great and abysmal were motorway services. We changed drivers at Warwick services: the satnav showed the upcoming services under the turn directions and unlike other satnavs I've used instead of going into panic mode trying to direct us back onto the motorway it actually paused the directions when we entered the services and resumed when we left. Great. But then on the M6 toll:
Cloud Vehicle Sky Radio Motor vehicle

The satnav thinks Stafford has the next services, no mention of the upcoming Norton Canes services. The Norton Canes services are marked on the map with the services symbol but when we turned in the satnav went into panic mode telling us to do a u-turn to get back on the motorway.

Has anyone else noticed this? I think it also didn't recognise the Cherwell services as existing so my guess is it ignores any services that aren't a glorified layby e.g. Norton Canes which serves both sides of the motorway.

Apart from those gripes the satnav did a pretty decent job, has the benefit of being full widescreen, let me set up multiple waypoints: Burton in Kendal is the waypoint in the above photo but at Norton Canes we decided we'd get there a bit late for lunch so I added MFG Crow Orchard as another waypoint and managed to figure out how to get the waypoints in the right order (drag and drop them but the exact drop position is a bit iffy).

Not satnav but was pleased at Crow Orchard my charge peaked at 79kW as shown by both charger and car. That was the only charge I did in the entire 300 mile trip to Scotland: Norton Canes had no free CCS connectors and we had a quick look at B-in-K but didn't need more charge. It has a bunch of shiny new high power chargers but the disabled one wasn't working (and the one next to it also had a cone though it was turned on).
Sky Cloud Tree Road surface Motor vehicle

Now on a CPS 7kW post for an overnight charge before continuing north tomorrow. Had a nightmare getting the charge to start and if I hadn't had the RFID card would probably still have been wrestling the app.

Have I mentioned how impressed I am with the Kona? From Abingdon I could actually have driven at motorway speeds as far as Burton in Kendal for my charging stop, only a need for food stopped that.

·
Registered
347 Posts
After 3 1/2 years I still use the built-in sat nav. I generally find it works well enough and I do like using the head up display ( I'm not aware of Android Auto apps than can do the head up display ).

However it is poor for points of interest ... so I do plan offline ( eg zap map of course ) and add the route to the sat nav.

Is there anywhere you can report map errors? I think that junction really does need fixing.
The maps come from "here" and the live updates from "tom tom" ... I did ask Hyundai several times how can I correct points of interest ... no decent response. However there is HERE Map Creator - 2020 and Mapshare ... no idea how/when corrections make it back to the car.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I usually use Waze but right now I'm fighting with Android Auto as the car keeps losing the connection so I did a 300 mile trip today using the built-in satnav. It's definitely a curate's egg: some bits are great, some bits abysmal.

Worst part were the directions as we headed up the M42 toward the M6 Toll. The junction has an A road going off to the left, a couple of lanes go straight on to the M42 North, and the three rightmost lanes go onto the M6 Toll. The satnav shows lane directions as use the right three lanes but says the road is signed "M42 N, The North" which is the sign for the wrong road. It doesn't mention M6 Toll at all until you are past the junction so anyone actually depending on the directions at that point are likely to get it badly wrong.

The other bit that was both great and abysmal were motorway services. We changed drivers at Warwick services: the satnav showed the upcoming services under the turn directions and unlike other satnavs I've used instead of going into panic mode trying to direct us back onto the motorway it actually paused the directions when we entered the services and resumed when we left. Great. But then on the M6 toll:
View attachment 161592
The satnav thinks Stafford has the next services, no mention of the upcoming Norton Canes services. The Norton Canes services are marked on the map with the services symbol but when we turned in the satnav went into panic mode telling us to do a u-turn to get back on the motorway.

Has anyone else noticed this? I think it also didn't recognise the Cherwell services as existing so my guess is it ignores any services that aren't a glorified layby e.g. Norton Canes which serves both sides of the motorway.

Apart from those gripes the satnav did a pretty decent job, has the benefit of being full widescreen, let me set up multiple waypoints: Burton in Kendal is the waypoint in the above photo but at Norton Canes we decided we'd get there a bit late for lunch so I added MFG Crow Orchard as another waypoint and managed to figure out how to get the waypoints in the right order (drag and drop them but the exact drop position is a bit iffy).

Not satnav but was pleased at Crow Orchard my charge peaked at 79kW as shown by both charger and car. That was the only charge I did in the entire 300 mile trip to Scotland: Norton Canes had no free CCS connectors and we had a quick look at B-in-K but didn't need more charge. It has a bunch of shiny new high power chargers but the disabled one wasn't working (and the one next to it also had a cone though it was turned on).
View attachment 161593

Now on a CPS 7kW post for an overnight charge before continuing north tomorrow. Had a nightmare getting the charge to start and if I hadn't had the RFID card would probably still have been wrestling the app.

Have I mentioned how impressed I am with the Kona? From Abingdon I could actually have driven at motorway speeds as far as Burton in Kendal for my charging stop, only a need for food stopped that.
Very impressive economy @Duncan.

What was the indicated m/kwh (in the dashboard display)? I am estimating (at 100 to 20%) in the order of 4.24, which at Motorway speeds is great indeed!

How accurate did you find the battery level and GOM readings?

Sorry for the all the questions! I am always looking for balm to soothe my range anxiety. And we originally lived in the BiK area (Lancaster and Morecambe) and still have family there so this journey is similar to ones we will be making.

CG

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Energy consumption history for yesterday says 303 miles at 3.9 mi/kWh. Today we've done 180 miles so far, started the day with 270 miles at 100%. Now we've got 80 miles/32% left so actual range looks to have been more like 260.

Oban ferry terminal charger CCS is duff and someone also reported the chargers at the hotel we're heading for as out of order so may be scrabbling round for a charge soon.

Reactions: CJKonaE

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro, 2021, 4+, Yacht Blue
8,056 Posts
I think you have those numbers a bit wrong...

Start at 100%...

Used 68% to do 180 miles so 2.65 miles per 1% used...

So estimated range given your use so far is 265 miles.

I don't know where you got 360 miles from???

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you have those numbers a bit wrong...

Start at 100%...

Used 68% to do 180 miles so 2.65 miles per 1% used...

So estimated range given your use so far is 265 miles.

I don't know where you got 360 miles from???
Bad typing on my phone. Now sitting on the ferry so can use a keyboard. I'll correct it.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hotel chargers are working after all, two 22kW sockets. We were near the front getting off the ferry so we got here in time to plug in, another car on the other socket and at least one green flash number plate in the car park. For a newly refurbished hotel I think they may have underestimated the need for chargers. Final range on arriving was 78 miles/32%.

Reactions: CJKonaE

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
602 Posts
I have always found the builtin satnav pretty good - even better having done the upgrade. Over the last two years we've done over 30k miles across the UK. Yes, it's not perfect but it makes pretty good use of the 10in screen, far better than googlemaps does - and I love googlemaps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have always found the builtin satnav pretty good - even better having done the upgrade. Over the last two years we've done over 30k miles across the UK. Yes, it's not perfect but it makes pretty good use of the 10in screen, far better than googlemaps does - and I love googlemaps.
It's considerably better than my other half's Volvo CrapNav :LOL:

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It makes good use of the full screen though it's a bit jumpy when spotify goes onto another track as the album art displays for a few seconds so the screen has to redraw narrower then back to wide (especially if you have an upcoming junction as the map then shrinks to a third of the screen). I think a bit of work there and they could perhaps animate the map change better. The junction view is almost always very good showing what the roadsigns will show for both the direction you want and slightly dimmed the other directions; the exception being the aforementioned M42/M6 toll junction that was simply showing it wrong.

My hypothesis about upcoming services showing only the glorified laybys and not the more complex ones like Norton Canes was wrong: it managed to show Abington services in advance though it didn't manage to pause navigation the way it did for simpler services. Also it would be nice if there was an easy way to check for which services are coming up after the current one so you can decide whether to stop or go on (some other car satnavs do do that). It managed to show Dumbarton services which was a bit of a surprise as they're not motorway, just urban dual carriageway and layby without the word 'glorified'.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Energy consumption history for yesterday says 303 miles at 3.9 mi/kWh. Today we've done 180 miles so far, started the day with 270 miles at 100%. Now we've got 80 miles/32% left so actual range looks to have been more like 260.

Oban ferry terminal charger CCS is duff and someone also reported the chargers at the hotel we're heading for as out of order so may be scrabbling round for a charge soon.
Thanks for the info @Duncan: and I was out yesterday, so I have only seen the edited 260 version!!

·
Registered
244 Posts

View attachment 161592

View attachment 161593

Yes - my Satnav also showed the nonsense of the M6 Toll lanes. An instant decision is required - I stuck to the large overhead signs and allowed the SatNav to correct itself shortly later.

Lawrence H

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Meh. Arrived at Hilton Glasgow Westerwood in Cumbernauld which advertises itself as having EV charging and they have a rapid and a slow post both of which are kept turned off to prevent non-residents using them and neither of which works when turned on. Note to self: avoid Hilton hotels in future.

Anyway replanned ABRP to leave here with 43% charge instead of 100%. It says first stop is Palace Ground Fastned so I get to try out a Fastned charger tomorrow.

Waze this morning was useless: asked it a simple route from Ffionnphort to Cumbernauld and it said to go via Fishnish. Tried the cat satnav and once it had timed out due to lack of signal it planned the same route as Waze. Only Google maps was able to agree with the shorter faster route via Oban. And yes, both routes use a ferry trip so not a case of avoiding tolls.

This is Waze telling us to go a three and a half hour 116 mile drive and ferry instead of a one hour ferry trip and about 100m drive between the two ferry terminals.
Ecoregion Azure Map Font Slope

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have also landed at a B&B advertised as having a charger. It was OK at first, delivering 6+kwh so used it for an hour or so. Next day it was reported as broken - not to be fixed until after we had gone. Then they got out the domestic charger and I was able to use that once: it was delivering 0.3kwh (!) so I ended the charge after 15 minutes. From then on I charged frequently at Tesco - some hours split into days. On our departure the B&B lady asked me for £20 (!) for the charging. I showed here the charging record and her local smart meter at 10p/kwh (January) . She reduced it to £10 which we accepted despite the outrageous charge. I pointed out how misleading her ad was and how little charge we had actually used. We don't go there again!

Lawrence

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have also landed at a B&B advertised as having a charger. It was OK at first, delivering 6+kwh so used it for an hour or so. Next day it was reported as broken - not to be fixed until after we had gone. Then they got out the domestic charger and I was able to use that once: it was delivering 0.3kwh (!) so I ended the charge after 15 minutes. From then on I charged frequently at Tesco - some hours split into days. On our departure the B&B lady asked me for £20 (!) for the charging. I showed here the charging record and her local smart meter at 10p/kwh (January) . She reduced it to £10 which we accepted despite the outrageous charge. I pointed out how misleading her ad was and how little charge we had actually used. We don't go there again!

Lawrence
I don't think the missing charge will matter too much. We're only heading for Keele tomorrow so a couple of rapid charges pretty well anywhere should see us through and they have 11 charging sockets at the next hotel so they can't all be broken. 🤞
I hadn't planned on any charging today but we stopped for a bite to eat in Craignure before catching our ferry so I grabbed 8.7kWh there (there was a Tesla on the rapid when we arrived and still when we left) which isn't much but means I'm comfortable with charging tomorrow morning instead of chasing the local Tesco chargers tonight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts