Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably not the right sub forum but not sure which one is. However I got an email today from Bulb telling me that, because they are not my energy supplier, and I am only contracted with them to feed in my solar on a Smart Export Guarantee basis, that they are reducing my rate to 3p per kWh, as "It costs us more to provide Export Payments to homes powered by other suppliers".

I am with Octopus for my supply.

All rather disappointing. So now I am on the hunt for which combination of import / export works best. Can't switch to Octopus Outgoing tariff because you can't have that at the same time as Octopus Go.

Any thoughts from people who have had the same issue?

·
Registered
675 Posts
In exactly the same boat, just got the mail this evening.

My first port of call has been to fire an email off to Octopus’ SEG department to make sure it is still the case you can’t be on Outgoing and Go Faster. It’s been over a year since I last queried it with them, although their website does still show this. Might be out of date, worth a shot.

OVO are doing 4p.

EON’s 5.5p rate is reserved for solar customers of theirs. Otherwise 3p.

We have a SMETS 1 smart meter, and EON, OVO and Octopus all stay smart when switching. Going elsewhere would mean getting a SMETS 2 meter.

Sadly, I can’t see a solution to losing out here. Bulb don’t seem to do an EV tariff to switch to to get their higher SEG rate.

I don’t think Agile and Outgoing would work for us as with kids we can’t really avoid the peak for cooking tea and have an electric oven and induction hob.

I am feeling “narked” to be polite that they are putting up payments for Bulb supply customers, and dropping them for others.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, me too. Clearly a commercial decision to attract people to switch to them for supply - the "it costs us more" nonsense is just that - nonsense. But if they think they will force me to become a supply customer with their manoeuvring they are way off.

Would be interesting to know what you find out when you get a response from Octopus - I don't quite understand why you can have their SEG on Agile but not on Go.

Otherwise, looks like a switch to OVO. It almost halves the loss.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I’ll feedback when Octopus reply. Seems weird a different supplier can get SEG readings but Octopus can’t irrespective of the tariff.

I was with OVO for supply for a good few years before Octopus and had no customer service issues with them, so OVO will be plan B I think.

Couple of things I need to figure out before deciding. Have been charging at 5p rather than using our solar, as the SEG was worth more. But now the SEG will be worth less, it will make more sense just to try and optimise solar charging. We work from home now and this is unlikely to change to more than the odd day in the office post pandemic, so annual mileage is going to remain very low. There’s a good chance grazing on solar granny charging could cover all but the winter quarter. Maybe staying on Go is not so critical.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm obviously in a different boat on the FIT with deemed export payments, but Go has never quite been as cheap for me as finding a single low rate with a low standing charge. I manage to do around half my charging for free, either from solar or free supermarket chargers.

It occurs to me that you might well be better off finding a supplier with a very low standing charge for the summer when your imports will be lower and simply consuming as much of your solar generation as possible.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Worth a thought - thanks both. It will be interesting to see how much my job role will go back to pre pandemic normal, which involved around 25k miles a year on the road. I suspect it will never go back to that because we have proved we can do the job remotely so why would customers incur expenses when we can hook up on Teams in a few moments.

I hope it doesn't forever stay like now though otherwise I might have to change careers as I cant bear the thought of another 10 years cocooned in my study like I am cut off from society. But if the number of days working at home stays high, the trickle charging on solar as much as possible may be part of the solution. Maybe getting an Ohme instead of a Zappi will turn out to be the wrong choice. Ah well...

·
Registered
675 Posts
When you think how much cheaper the Ohme is compared to a zappi, it could take those 10 years to pay for itself! You have quite a bit of flex with the granny charger on the new Soul too, being able to set the charge speed to suit. The granny charger with the old Soul is just one speed sadly. I know the loses increase as you slow the charging rate, but when it’s free....

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,235 Posts
Yeah, me too. Clearly a commercial decision to attract people to switch to them for supply - the "it costs us more" nonsense is just that - nonsense.
I don't think the wholesale price of electricity averages over £50/MWh? Add in admin costs and I'm not surprised export only customers were costing them money. I just assumed they were taking the hit to promote more 'green' energy directly sourced (rather than just cheap REGO's).

Would be interesting to know what you find out when you get a response from Octopus - I don't quite understand why you can have their SEG on Agile but not on Go.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I’m wondering whether that fixed 3p export tarrif might apply to FIT customers with deemed export rather than SEG exporters
You can't get deemed export payments at the same time as SEG payments. You have to opt out of the former for a full year at a time before you can receive the latter.

·
Registered
675 Posts
You can't get deemed export payments at the same time as SEG payments. You have to opt out of the former for a full year at a time before you can receive the latter.
Thanks Petriix. I wonder why they offer 3p rather than 5.5p for non-Go customers. I was under the impression it was a system issue, but maybe it is just a marketing decision, eg offering both would be too favourable to the customer?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
What is an Export tariff?
Most tariffs you’ve encountered before are ‘import’ ones, charging you based on the energy you’re importing from the grid to power your home. The Outgoing Octopus tariff is the price we pay you for electricity you export to the grid.

There are two ways to sell:

Fixed Outgoing Octopus: a flat tariff, so you can sell your electricity at a flat unit price of 5.5p per kWh (the current FiT export price is 5.38p per kWh).

Agile Outgoing Octopus: priced dynamically, with a unit price that changes every half an hour – allowing people generating green energy at home to take advantage of the highly variable wholesale cost of energy throughout the day, and export at the most valuable times.

You should be able to get Fixed outgoing octopus.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
From my understanding you can have Agile Outgoing if you are on Agile, otherwise you get Fixed Outgoing. They have to offer a tariff.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,235 Posts
From my understanding you can have Agile Outgoing if you are on Agile, otherwise you get Fixed Outgoing. They have to offer a tariff.

Outgoing Octopus | Octopus Energy

I believe they offer you the SEG rates if you're on GO.

You can choose fixed or Agile export/outgoing if not.

I'm on Agile import and fixed outgoing.

·
Registered
675 Posts
What is an Export tariff?
Most tariffs you’ve encountered before are ‘import’ ones, charging you based on the energy you’re importing from the grid to power your home. The Outgoing Octopus tariff is the price we pay you for electricity you export to the grid.

There are two ways to sell:

Fixed Outgoing Octopus: a flat tariff, so you can sell your electricity at a flat unit price of 5.5p per kWh (the current FiT export price is 5.38p per kWh).

Agile Outgoing Octopus: priced dynamically, with a unit price that changes every half an hour – allowing people generating green energy at home to take advantage of the highly variable wholesale cost of energy throughout the day, and export at the most valuable times.

You should be able to get Fixed outgoing octopus.
By export tariff I mean solar export under the SEG.

We are on Go Faster, but the Octopus website shows you can’t be on Go and Outgoing at the same time (whether fixed or agile outgoing).

If you work for Octopus, are you able to confirm it is now possible to be on Go Faster and fixed Outgoing Octopus at 5.5p at the same time?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
We’re having solar fitted at the moment. I contacted Octopus about SEG as their site says you can’t be on Outgoing Octopus and GO, which is our incoming tariff. They replied to say they would give me 3p per unit exported and I could stay on GO.

Shame about Bulb, I was hoping to sing up with them at 5.38p and stick with Octopus GO.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
All seems odd, the only reference to 3p is for none Octopus customers

Looking to keep your existing supplier and just switch your export to Octopus? No problem – export only customers can earn 3p/kWh for every unit they export. Email [email protected] to find out more.

But if you are an Octopus customer

If you’re already a customer of ours, with a supported smart meter, just get in touch to move to Outgoing Octopus. We’ll take care of the rest, without any change to your meter or your home wiring.

All in here under different questions.

Also having solar fitted and expect to get Fixed Outgoing at 5.5p.

·
Super Moderator
7,598 Posts
We have no FIT and went for agile on both incoming and outgoing. Lots of times when fixed outgoing would have earned more, but, when there’s peak demand you can export for more than it costs to import (I think export peaked about £1/kWh a few weeks ago). So I made a few quid by importing at night to charge my batteries, holding it during the day, then pumping out between 16:00 and 19:00.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
All seems odd, the only reference to 3p is for none Octopus customers

Looking to keep your existing supplier and just switch your export to Octopus? No problem – export only customers can earn 3p/kWh for every unit they export. Email [email protected] to find out more.

But if you are an Octopus customer

If you’re already a customer of ours, with a supported smart meter, just get in touch to move to Outgoing Octopus. We’ll take care of the rest, without any change to your meter or your home wiring.

All in here under different questions.

Also having solar fitted and expect to get Fixed Outgoing at 5.5p.
This is why they won't allow you to be on GO and Outgoing at 5.5p...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts