Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have Bulb gen2 smart meters?

Last week I had received an Email from Bulb telling me they are offering to install second generation smart meters in my area (N London). I'm wondering whether it's an offer worth taking.

I don't mind submitting meter readings once every few months, I don't mind having slightly wrong bill amount as it will all tally up in the end. I also don't mind having radio transmitting device in my house (I do that already) and I don't require much from the smart meter as I have my own monitoring current clamp monitors.

But I do require the smart meter to continue upload readings after my switch supplier. It would be nice to have zero branding on the smart meter. Smart meter will also have to allow me to stay on Economy7 tariff. Also compatible with my solar panels.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I’ve had one for 4 or 5 months. I’m not sure if it’s worth the hassle. Only in the last few weeks or so has the in-home display started showing any data — but only the electrical usage. Interestingly, it’s only the gas usage that Bulb themselves seem to be getting. I’ve only had one direct bit of communication from them since it was installed, which wasn’t especially useful. At some point I’m going to have to chase it up as my account might be wildly out of whack, but for now I’m just paying the same monthly direct debit I used to and trust that it’s vaguely correct...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm with Bulb on the economy 7 tariff and I don't believe that tariff is currently compatible with their SMETS2 smart meters....

I know....

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've also had one for a couple of months and it certainly took a while for things to work. From the beginning it did nothing, which lasted for a month or two. Occasionally they sent out emails about them trying to sort things out, which must presumably have been "over-air" changes as there was no physical presence. Then some day it seemed to start to work and has done since, even though they once sent an email that it didn't work so I submit a reading. I never did and now they say that they can read it, so all is well I suppose.

So not a very impressive roll-out but they have blogged about the issues and been quite open about them:

Bulb smart meter installations update

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve had one for 4 or 5 months.
I've also had one for a couple of months
What does the smart meter look like? Is there any Bulb branding? I switch quite regularly, so would prefer zero branding on the in-house unit.
Are you on off-peak tariff? eg. Economy 7.
Have you got solar panels?

Thanks for replies so far. I too have seen their blog and thought last week's Email signal they have sorted out their initial problems. Not working for a few months is fine for me, as long as it will eventually work as advertised.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What does the smart meter look like? Is there any Bulb branding? I switch quite regularly, so would prefer zero branding on the in-house unit.
When you ask what it looks like, do you mean the little display that gives you the data, or the gubbens that they install at/over your existing meters?

No solar panels, no off-peak tariff.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The display you will see.

Does it look like this one pictured?

I guess I'll have to ask them regarding solar panel and off peak tariff.

·
ENV200 Owner
259 Posts
Mum has just had one installed and the IHD still doesn’t work on electric. Took days to get through to them to find this out and that it’s a known problem. Supposedly smart meter works on Economy 7, but I can’t see two readings on mums meter. They did manage to send her an email saying they’ve switched her into their smart tariff though - which is three tier with peak rate at 30p per kWh. They’ve assured me it was in error, but not terribly impressed at their dumb, smart rollout so far.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
A little late but it came up in my searches..

Bulb put mine in on Friday. They are unbranded but quite chunky. According to bulb they're not compatible with Economy 7.

I have solar panels - Bulb did not replace the solar generation meter, it seems that bit is not 'smart' yet. I'm not sure what it does when it detects reverse power..

The downside.. Today I got an email saying they don't know how to read my SMETS2 meters yet, so the IHD won't work (it just shows sample data that never changes, it's probably going in the bin) and I'll have to submit readings manually. They predict support to be rolled out in 'Early 2020' and will require an engineer. Bit of a waste of time installing them in the first place if you ask me...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bulb put mine in on Friday. They are unbranded but quite chunky. According to bulb they're not compatible with Economy 7.

I have solar panels - Bulb did not replace the solar generation meter, it seems that bit is not 'smart' yet. I'm not sure what it does when it detects reverse power..

The downside.. Today I got an email saying they don't know how to read my SMETS2 meters yet, so the IHD won't work (it just shows sample data that never changes, it's probably going in the bin) and I'll have to submit readings manually. They predict support to be rolled out in 'Early 2020' and will require an engineer. Bit of a waste of time installing them in the first place if you ask me...
Thank you very much Tony. Very informative.

When you have to do the reading yourself. Do you have to go through a load of menus to get to the actual reading? My parent's NPower smart meter needs 6 button presses into settings -> advanced settings to get to the actual meter reading (n)

I did their online survey for smart meter and was told the semi-submerged gas meter is not yet supported :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had mine installed in June and they finally managed to hook it up to the IHD last week after around 10 attempts, IHD is now linked but not displaying any data. It also took a couple of months for it to start sending readings.

Have been told the smart tariff isn't available for SMETS2 yet

When you have to do the reading yourself. Do you have to go through a load of menus to get to the actual reading?
on mine the current reading is there the whole time, but not lit so hard to read, you then push the button to light up the display at which point it freezes for ages on something else then eventually shows the latest ready.

·
ENV200 Owner
259 Posts
Mums IHD started working after about three weeks, but only a single reading. They’ve told me again today it can do economy 7 and can activate it remotely. We will see...

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Hi, are any of you posters with riaa Bulb SMETS2 in the Northern Arquiva area. Very roughly that is Cumbria, Yorkshire, Northumbria, Tyne and Wear, Scotland

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Hi, in NE Scotland too.

Octopus said they wouldn't be able to make SMETS2 work in my area. Bulb said it might work they would get back to me after a nearby installation is completed. Are the problems locational specific due to low frequency radio reception, EDMI metering equipment or just software linking all the various parts?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts