Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been charging the new ZE50 on 22kW and noticed when unplugging it that there was a strong smell which smelled like a mix between electrical and plastic burning. I could smell it on both the car's connector, and the charging cable so not sure which end was actually at fault here.

I've never noticed it on older models and think something may be wrong. But I want to check before I worry about it. Is it just because its new and will disappear over time, or should I get it checked out immediately? It's likely going to Renault soon anyways for the creaky boot issue so I can just add that to the list if necessary.

I've only charged it on CCS up until this point and there was never any obvious smell that I picked up after unplugging from the charger on those occasions.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,228 Posts
I'd always be mildly concerned about a burning smell. Were the connectors hotter to touch than you'd expect?

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
675 Posts
You say you've only charged on DC up to now. Have the AC contacts on the cable (or car) been used before? There could be a slight chance of some oil / grease on them to be burnt off on first use? Like using a new toaster for the first time. Never had it on an EV, but one possibility. See if you get it again on a second charge.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd always be mildly concerned about a burning smell. Were the connectors hotter to touch than you'd expect?
I didn't specifically feel them afterwards but there was definitely a bit of heat coming from it when I got close to confirm the source of the smell.

You say you've only charged on DC up to now. Have the AC contacts on the cable (or car) been used before? There could be a slight chance of some oil / grease on them to be burnt off on first use? Like using a new toaster for the first time. Never had it on an EV, but one possibility. See if you get it again on a second charge.
Brand new car and cable. That's why I was wanting to check before getting too worried as I had a feeling it could possibly be something like that. Unless it's been tested before it was delivered to me it's only ever had DC charging until now.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,228 Posts
I'd definitely mention it to the dealer and get them to check it. Smell and not much heat isn't a concern. Smell and you can fry an egg on it is...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I gave it a little try on a tethered AC connector from a rapid charger to again charge at 22kW. Didn't leave it going for too long but after 10-15 minutes I unplugged and no smell. So it either was just something new on the connectors that needed to burn off, or I have a duff cable. At least I now know the car is fine, and I can do some further testing with the cable later on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts