Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used any of the charge points in Bury StEdmunds?
Looks like Waitrose has some, also the council offices, but the best bet looks to be the Parkway Multi-Storey.?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
What are you hoping to charge?

The Nissan dealer has a very good rapid charger which is only available while they are open.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Waitrose are now pretty strict about 2 hours maximum and customers only. Parkway car park is only 13A sockets but only about £2.00 for 4 hours parking with charging. On the 4th floor, but well signposted.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Waitrose are now pretty strict about 2 hours maximum and customers only. Parkway car park is only 13A sockets but only about £2.00 for 4 hours parking with charging. On the 4th floor, but well signposted.
Looks like Parkway may be the best bet then. I presume if I park for a full day, I could still charge ? (As it takes 6 hours on a standard 13a plug)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
£2.20 is still less than the cost of 2 litres of fuel, so that sounds like a deal to me! As my journey back home is 37 miles, that should nicely be covered with a full charge :)
I reckon it would be just under 3 litres of petrol for that journey.

Many thanks @Nigel Hunt, much appreciated :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Lee, I just remembered the chargers have a drop-down flap which initiates the charge, once you have paid at the ticket machine opposite. The flap is fussy about how thick the cable from the 13A plug is. My Leaf EVSE has a 11mm diameter cable and the flap will only just close!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I helped the Council launch the Parkway ones, it was a disaster .http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/suffolk/hi/people_and_places/newsid_9255000/9255887.stm
The Units were numbered the wrong way round so point one was point two, but then we found the Bripark sockets had to latch down and wouldnt do it on a 2.5mm cable. So after lots of pushing and shoving it eventually started. We went off to do some shopping got back about 3 hours later and virtually no charge. It turned out the Berlingo turns off the charger at some point to check the pack voltage without load. The device took that as a loss of current flow (someopne may have removed the lead or run off with it) and cut the power. We tried again and got a bit more , but had to recharge at a friends on the way home. eventually got home at 9pm on a hard frozen snow day. The solution was an external box with a resistor in it so even if the car does shut the charger down, the socket thinks there is a current flow. You can ask for the box at the office upstairs from the charge points. They are rubbish, and the makers didnt want to accept their socket was an issue, eventually theu did agree the slot for the cable (Best suited to christmas tree light cable) was too small. But insisted that the shut off was a vital safety issue. This was the first installation Bripark had done and hopefully the last.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lee, I just remembered the chargers have a drop-down flap which initiates the charge, once you have paid at the ticket machine opposite. The flap is fussy about how thick the cable from the 13A plug is. My Leaf EVSE has a 11mm diameter cable and the flap will only just close!
Pretty sure the Ampera cable is a similar dimension, so may have to jump on it first to make it fit :)
Will see how I get on, but it's a few weeks off yet.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I helped the Council launch the Parkway ones, it was a disaster .http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/suffolk/hi/people_and_places/newsid_9255000/9255887.stm
The Units were numbered the wrong way round so point one was point two, but then we found the Bripark sockets had to latch down and wouldnt do it on a 2.5mm cable. So after lots of pushing and shoving it eventually started. We went off to do some shopping got back about 3 hours later and virtually no charge. It turned out the Berlingo turns off the charger at some point to check the pack voltage without load. The device took that as a loss of current flow (someopne may have removed the lead or run off with it) and cut the power. We tried again and got a bit more , but had to recharge at a friends on the way home. eventually got home at 9pm on a hard frozen snow day. The solution was an external box with a resistor in it so even if the car does shut the charger down, the socket thinks there is a current flow. You can ask for the box at the office upstairs from the charge points. They are rubbish, and the makers didnt want to accept their socket was an issue, eventually theu did agree the slot for the cable (Best suited to christmas tree light cable) was too small. But insisted that the shut off was a vital safety issue. This was the first installation Bripark had done and hopefully the last.
Sounds like a right balls up ! Wonder if they actually get used much .....

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I dont know, subsequently I used a power point in the council depot, when I attended a meeting at the council offices. COuldnt be bothered to fight with the thing again.It would be good if they replaced them with even a simple 16amp socket. But thats never going to happen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts