Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Really want to take the plunge and go greener.
Mainly for a second car for local school runs and shopping.

Boot has to be of decent size.

Probably do about 60 miles a week of it that.

What would you advise guys?

Thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts
Used Leaf? Boot is reasonable size. Should be able to get a lowish mileage leaf 30 for 12K. Range would be more than 90 miles even in winter in town
You could pay less for that for smaller boot/lower range eg ion Zoe

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whats average mileage on different leaf battery sizes please?
Anything particular to look out for when buying a second hand EV?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
24kw will go around 60 miles
30kw 80 miles
40kw 100 miles
62kw 190 miles
This in cold winter 5c degrees
Of course I'll get bombarded with all sort of comments as range is greatly affected by many factors so this is a high (very high) level indication.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
40kw only does about 100 miles average ? i was expecting bit more at-least
I have no experience on 40kw but this is the feedback I had from several users.
Note that those figures will go up in warmer weather. I presented you with the worse case scenario so you don't have any surprises.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no experience on 40kw but this is the feedback I had from several users.
Note that those figures will go up in warmer weather. I presented you with the worse case scenario so you don't have any surprises.
Good to know that....i was after more of an average figure for the year.....
or even break it down summer/winter

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
It a case of realism. In winter local you may get about 3.5 miles/kWh, so a 40kWh battery would give 140 miles. But that's from 100% to dead flat and you don't want to go there. With a used car the battery may also have lost a bit of capacity, so it may not even start with 40. So 100 miles is a good working value with some comfort zone.

In warmer weather you'll likely get 20 miles more, but as most people's use doesn't change much through the year that shouldn't be part of your buying decision. Winter (and/or motorway) is the worst case.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
40kw started end 2017
summer times (on very good conditions)
24kw up to 80 miles
30kw up to 110 miles
40kw up to 130 miles (maybe 140)
62kw up to 220 miles

Anything else I can be of assistance? :p

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
mmm. I probably would have said a little more, but it depends on how you use the car.

Heating up a cold car takes several miles of range. If you set off at -5C, warm the car up to 20C, let it get cold again.... repeat ... Drive at 70mph in the rain... you could end up with 100 miles useable.

None of us like to run the car down to zero. I planned to stay above 6% in the LEAF. That's ~5 miles I never did use taken off the "real" range. You need that if things go wrong.

The older cars certainly have some battery capacity loss too. 60 miles a week? Just about any used EV that works can handle 60 miles a week.

A 2014 LEAF that is down one capacity bar would be perfect. A car that is good for 60 miles worst case is fine if you only drive 10-20 miles a day.

It also depends on your budget. Of course a 2017 LEAF 30 is "better" but it will also cost you more money to purchase.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
40kw started end 2017
summer times (on very good conditions)
24kw up to 80 miles
30kw up to 110 miles
40kw up to 130 miles (maybe 140)
62kw up to 220 miles

Anything else I can be of assistance? :p
Fancy finding me a good 2017 model leaf?...:)

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
Fancy finding me a good 2017 model leaf?...:)
Model Year 2017 is mostly LEAF 30 with a tiny number of 24's thrown in just to confuse us.

The first 40 came out at the very end of 2017 as a 2018 Model. Nissan called them LEAF 3.ZERO -- They were a special "first run" of the 40kWh face lift.

You might want to go look at them and take them for a test drive. Nissan made a lot of changes between the 30 and 40. The changes are mostly cosmetic but the car has some real differences.

There is a big difference in price too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mmm. I probably would have said a little more, but it depends on how you use the car.

Heating up a cold car takes several miles of range. If you set off at -5C, warm the car up to 20C, let it get cold again.... repeat ... Drive at 70mph in the rain... you could end up with 100 miles useable.

None of us like to run the car down to zero. I planned to stay above 6% in the LEAF. That's ~5 miles I never did use taken off the "real" range. You need that if things go wrong.

The older cars certainly have some battery capacity loss too. 60 miles a week? Just about any used EV that works can handle 60 miles a week.

A 2014 LEAF that is down one capacity bar would be perfect. A car that is good for 60 miles worst case is fine if you only drive 10-20 miles a day.

It also depends on your budget. Of course a 2017 LEAF 30 is "better" but it will also cost you more money to purchase.
what rough price guide on a 40kw used leaf around 2017/18 please?
anything in particular need to lookout for when buying a EV car?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
what rough price guide on a 40kw used leaf around 2017/18 please?
anything in particular need to lookout for when buying a EV car?
Ideally you will find someone with an OBD2 adaptor and LeafSpyPro to check the State of Health of the battery

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
If you want the longer range of a 40kWh EV, but at a lower price then you can look for a 41kWh Zoe.

I went with a battery owned 'i' model Zoe this time last year and been very happy with it. I've only done 4,500 in the year, but this is set to increase to 15,000 miles this year. One of the reasons I am happy I went with the battery owned model.

If your budget can't stretch then you could look at battery lease versions for a lower upfront cost, but an ongoing monthly cost (£59 per month for 4,500miles a year). You will have to decide what is right for you though if you do decide on a Zoe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so the Leaf 40 is like the facelift version

Whats depreciation value like on them please?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts