Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone to renault RCI as im part exchanging my car and asked about the battery issue - rental whos liable

Then RCI Lady told me from later on this year theyre finally going to let you buy the battery out

·
Registered
134 Posts
I thought you could already but it was about £5k. I seem to remember the dealer I bought mine from saying something to that effect back in 2018.

As an aside, the battery lease arrangement when part ex'ing the car isn't ideal IMO. When we part ex'd our Zoe we ended up paying the battery lease for about 3 months beyond selling it as it couldn't be stopped until it'd been transferred to a new owner (so we were just waiting for Renault to sell it again as they'd bought the part ex). We got a reimbursement for 2 months worth I think.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,238 Posts
This is always rumoured.

What happens to the battery warranty of bought out cars? 22kWh battery owned cars only had a 5 year 60k warranty for degradation. ZE40s are 8 years and 100k.

Will the bought out batteries have the standard battery owned warranty or something else?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
This is always rumoured.
Yeah your right we have heard this so many times over the last few years, but with lease no longer being an option on new ZE50s maybe now is the time it could happen, they maybe want to get away from battery lease all together.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,263 Posts
Bunch of wankers RCI. I got it in WRITING just a couple of weeks ago that they were never going to make the option available.

·
Registered
533 Posts
As an aside, the battery lease arrangement when part ex'ing the car isn't ideal IMO. When we part ex'd our Zoe we ended up paying the battery lease for about 3 months beyond selling it as it couldn't be stopped until it'd been transferred to a new owner (so we were just waiting for Renault to sell it again as they'd bought the part ex). We got a reimbursement for 2 months worth I think.
That sounds odd to me. I thought that if you sold to a dealer then you used one of the forms that RCI give you which immediately transferred the lease to the dealer. The dealer then has a grace period before they have to start paying the lease if they haven't sold it.

Edit - just remembered that's what happened to me when Zoe 1 was p/exd.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,263 Posts
Well I've emailed RCI again. They need to make a decision and communicate with those that own cars.

Reactions: Russ

·
Registered
636 Posts
That sounds odd to me. I thought that if you sold to a dealer then you used one of the forms that RCI give you which immediately transferred the lease to the dealer. The dealer then has a grace period before they have to start paying the lease if they haven't sold it.

Edit - just remembered that's what happened to me when Zoe 1 was p/exd.
Yes that's what happened to my battery lease when my 22kw Zoe was purchased by weareev.com. I signed the transfer lease doc from RCI emailed it to dealer a couple of days before they came to pic up the car. I contacted RCI the day of the pick up to check and they told me that my lease had been closed and transferred to the dealership. Job done. And direct debit stopped.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My ZE50 is due in April to replace our 10 year old Corsa, which means I will be keeping our 22KW model on a £49/ month lease for another few years.. think i'd rather keep the lease knowing that they have to fix any issues..

·
Registered
128 Posts
I asked RCI the exact same question before part exing Zoe 1 two weeks ago. The person on the other end of the phone said quite clearly that there was no buyout option on the battery at the moment but he thought it was something being considered by RCI. No decision had been made.
(btw the dealer signed the RCI battery lease form and indeed the battery lease transferred to the dealer about a week after I handed the car in.)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT Line with CCS
78 Posts
Perhaps if we all emailed them in the next few days they might get the drift that some people want to buy the battery.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I thought you could already but it was about £5k. I seem to remember the dealer I bought mine from saying something to that effect back in 2018.

Iam sure sone dealers try it on but as soon as we part exchange with a dealer they take on the lease immediately and RCI are fairly quick to acknowledge this (if they don’t you call them!) We have done this once already and this has also been confirmed as what will happen when we p/x for the ZE50 we are getting next

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
137 Posts
I for one will not be impressed if RCI start offering cut price buy outs on the batteries. Will make a complete mockery out of the battery owned cars unless its at least 6k+ to buy it out.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,338 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it, and if they do, it won't be cheap. Indeed, the battery owned people wouldn't be too pleased if it was!

·
Registered
Zoe ZE40 R90
536 Posts
If the price was reduced at the 10% per annum rate from the original cost at purchase it would be a fair deal.

I guess it depends if Renault want to offload the responsibility of all those lease batteries to the customer.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it, and if they do, it won't be cheap. Indeed, the battery owned people wouldn't be too pleased if it was!
Wouldn't bother me. I welcome it.

Prices would be roughly the same for a lease + battery buyout Vs a battery owned. R90 lease goes for around £12k, and 3yr old battery would be about £4k applying the 10% discount per year rule. Same £16k the battery owned usually (should) go for.

In fact it would solve my only personal gripe with the lease...the utter nonsense and confusion for the second hand buyer who wants a battery owned model.

With a bit of luck it will reduce prices across the board, as battery owned models won't be quite so rare.

But yes, I'll believe it when I see it too!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm not sure where I've heard, Fully Charged maybe or maybe not, that Renault currently has 5 GWh worth of leased batteries and they very much would want them back at the end of their EV life to use them in off-grid storage (proper cash cows). Unless their plans dramatically changed, I gather they still want them back...

1 - 20 of 392 Posts