Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm looking to buy a 17 plate 30kWh leaf from a Nissan dealer I'm wondering what might be on offer to me in the way of discounts or perks. Do they offer more if you take out a PCP arrangement with them? What experiences have you guys had?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
When I bought my '64 reg Leaf in 2017 on 3 yr PCP, they gave £1000 deposit contribution, £1000 additional trade-in deposit contribution for their swap-scheme. They also gave me 2 years free servicing, 1 year used car warranty including MOT failure. Nissan also contribute to Pod-point to install free 3.3 kW home charger (I paid £99 to upgrade to 7 kW)

Your experience will vary. With EV being more popular now, you may not able to get as much perks out of them. I've read that 30 kWh Leaf have type-2 cable in the boot when the car was new? So check for that?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
118 Posts
I bought a 2017 30KW Tekna leaf only last week! I did not findthey offered much more than what is advertised on the nissan used car info page.

Do drive a hard bargain tho, I threatened to walk away unless they lowered price, I stated the truth that as soon as this years new plates change there will be lots more to choose from as people upgrade.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The most important thing you can do is to look at the vehicle you want, go back a few times, then go in on Feb 29th, the last day of the month to actually do the deal. They are always desperate to get their monthly figures up, and a sale on the last day is their last chance.
You can really screw them down to a good deal at this time. If they don't come to the party, another dealer sure as hell will.
I got heaps of concessions last year on my used 2016 30 Tekna, completely free 7kw podpoint installation (I already had a £2000 quote to put electric supply to my garage it's 100mtrs from mains). Also I got them to supply a new sd card with updated maps and a pledge to assist me with VOSA to get a tow-hitch approval. Once again, last day of the month.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lots of good advice. John, did you find that the availability of Leafs is quite low?
Any thoughts on this one?

·
Registered
218 Posts
M4 Hendy (was Westover when I bought mine from them) Have been a pretty good dealer and this car is almost identical to the one I bought from them a year ago. The only difference ...and it's a real biggie..... is the 3.3 kw charger.

My advice-don't buy it unless they add the 7kw option.

Cheers Tony.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For me would the 3.3kW charger be okay? My plan is to use the car to travel 13 miles a day to and from work where I’d have a charger at home and we’re getting more Pod-Points at work. Just down the road is a Nissan dealer (with no leafs for me) So I’m not sure if only having 3.3 is going to be an issue, any thoughts?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Your choice, but I wouldn't touch it without the 7kw option. If you do any long trips you will instantly regret it. Also the resale value will be adversely affected. Hendy are better than Westover ever were, so you may well be surprised at their response if you ask them to fit it.

I have bought 4 cars from Westover in the last 4 years so perhaps they treat me right? But I seriously have no complaints with their service. Nissan on the other hand....is a totally different kettle of fish.
Funny this car is almost identical to mine, but a year newer-same colour as well, it's a bugger to keep clean.....

·
Registered
983 Posts
Also I got them to supply a new sd card with updated maps and a pledge to assist me with VOSA to get a tow-hitch approval.
Did you ever get tow hitch approval ?

And was the 'new sd card' really up to date - or just not quite as far out of date as before ?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
118 Posts
Hi Marcus! - yes I found the availability quite shockingly low actually! Especially for the spec I wanted - I wanted a Tekna and a 30KW car, no older than 2017 and with milage no higher than 20k. Oh and for me it was really important the car was looked good cosmetically - well looked after inside, non smoker etc.

Anyway I found I had to call around - and found a red one for about £10,000 up in Bristol I think. It seemed OK but the photos did make the car look a bit less than perfect inside, also when enquiring about charging lead and floor mats it did not have them, so he was going to get some from another leaf if I wanted the car.

Anyway since I had never even driven one I thought I would cheekily call a near garage and ask to test drive a 2017 Leaf, and found a more expensive one near home in West Sussex. Called the garage Sat morning, test drove at midday and put the deposit down that day. I literally fell in love with the car, it ws in a stunning condition, one past owner and looked new and also...... it was BLACK! Black leafs in that spec seem hard to find and after seeing how great it looked I went for it.

I did find they gave a good part exchange price at Nissan - mine was a really old car that had been bashed about before I bought it but they gave me near £1000 for it, so I felt it was a good deal.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
118 Posts
Oh and regarding the 7KW option, yes ideally I would have liked it but I found it narrowed my search so much , I just wanted to get a car sorted so ended up with the 3kw. However I have not found it a problem personally and it charges quite happily from rapids at the garages, then home charge on granny plug as needed.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Did you ever get tow hitch approval ?

And was the 'new sd card' really up to date - or just not quite as far out of date as before ?
I put the approval on hold until the weather gets a bit warmer-it's too damn cold for my old bones to be crawling underneath cars at my time of life. I'll be trying to sort it out in the Spring. I have received written confirmation that VOSA and the DVLA have no interest in it as long as it is not used for trailer towing (a separate wheel on the ground). They will issue permits for disability carriers that have wheels on the ground on a case by case basis. I just want to carry my bicycles.

The SD card- what a hassle. My particular vehicle was apparently built on the cusp of the changeover from 3 different systems. Eventually I had a conversation with a lady in Holland from the HERE organisation and we finally got the correct card. It is hardly worth it, 2017 maps instead of 2014. The way I was finally able to sort it was to send a picture of the original sd card to Holland and they were able to correctly identify it. The instructions are less than helpful, it gives dire warnings about not switching the car off when swapping over the cards, a procedure you have to do several times, but you have no choice as during the swaps it automatically powers down the car and the display goes back into the upright position so you have to start the car to get the display down to swap out the card.

I am still waiting for the accounts department of Hendy Nissan to issue my refund, 38 days and counting......although after I chased it up their sales manager said he will chase it up for me. I am not holding my breath......

Cheers Tony

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi M4rcus

I purchased a 2016 66 plate 30kw Leaf Tekna with 10k miles from Colin Applegate Nissan dealer in Keighley last week. Have posted elsewhere about it but in summary:

Agreed purchase price of £13k

Minus £400 deposit contribution and 2 free services for taking finance (some other stuff as well about breakdown cover but i wasn't really paying attention to that). You have to make the 1st months finance payment to retain the services if you are intending to pay off the finance straight away (check the paperwork yourself though).

You should get the 3 pin charger in a nice bespoke bag (make sure you do as they are expensive). It should also come with a type 2 to type 1 charging cable. Mine came with a bonus, still in the bag, type 2 to 1 as the previous owner had bought a spare.

I purchased original premium leaf car mats for £37 online as they didn't have any in stock at the dealer - remember its a 3 year out of production car now. Ive since purchase an original leaf rubber boot liner to keep the boot ship shape (£70).

I got a great deal (IMO) as there had been a mis-price so we agreed a happy place on price. I phoned all comparable dealer cars to see if i could get them down from 14k (and avoid a 250 mile trip) and no one was budging at that point (2 weeks ago). Earlier poster is correct though that its getting closer to end of month and more cars will be available with the pending reg plate change as they come off PCP. I checked the Nissan UK website for new stock daily as i was happy to travel for the right car.

I was desperate to get a 7kw charger but in the end settled for 3.3 (you massively limit your choice if you want 7kw charger) - i have a similar use profile to you and the leaf was a second car (new diesel Kuga as main family car) for my local commuting / work miles. I get 2 -3 days use between charges atm. I drove it back 250 miles from Yorkshire as my baptism of fire and it was fine - just a little planning via zap map and 3 rapid charges which took about 40 mins to full charge (whilst having pub dinner at one charge point and 1/2 pint at another). 3 stops was primarily due to it being my 1st journey and not having ever fast charged so i left miles in the tank at each stop.

I wouldn't choose to use it over the Kuga for long journeys over 100 miles (but would feel ok about it if i had to) but then thats not what i bought it for.

I don't think you'll get anywhere near the £1000 deposit contributions for finance or trade ins being mentioned earlier - that was 2017 and its a very different market (prices firmed as people switched on to EV and at the right time 2nd hand leafs were depreciation free !!).

Get leaf spy and check cars if the dealer will let you before hand - I walked away from another car whose SOC wasn't as good as id have expected even though it had 12 bars.

Almost 1 week and 350 miles into ownership I'm very happy with my purchase.

Happy to answer any other Q you might have & good luck with your search (y)

Emilian

If you look into changing your energy supplier to Octopus Go (4 hrs off peak charging at 5p/kwh) after purchasing your leaf then use of referral code share.octopus.energy/mauve-goat-201 will get us both £50 credit :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
For me would the 3.3kW charger be okay? My plan is to use the car to travel 13 miles a day to and from work where I’d have a charger at home and we’re getting more Pod-Points at work. Just down the road is a Nissan dealer (with no leafs for me) So I’m not sure if only having 3.3 is going to be an issue, any thoughts?
Hi
I have a 2017 30 tekna in silver with 3.3 OBC (from new). I do similar mileage to yourself and have had no issues with charging. I generally charge for 3 hours during the night on timer when I get down to 20-30% this puts in about 35-40% so use the 20-80% range to help battery health. On long trips I use rapids to 90-95%. lots of info on here about charging and best practice. Leafspy and OBD dongle is worth having to check state of health on battery. If a car is left charging at 100% this can degrade the battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

I bought a 2016 30kW Leaf with a 6.6kW charger just at the end of January from a Nissan dealer. I pushed it out to the last day of the month and got 5% off the list price but nothing else.

I do a 15 mile round trip daily but have no way of charging at home so am reliant on pod points at work (paid) and at a local tesco (free). I went for the 6.6kW for flexibility and the option to use the Tesco ones whilst shopping to get me most of my charge. To be honest though I haven't made much use of them as I mostly charge at work, and as the pod point spaces are always empty I would have been fine with a 3.3kW charger. I average 3.3miles/kWh at the moment (its a hilly drive!), so thats about 5kWhs of charge to replenish which at 3.3kW charge rate would be a 2 hour daily charge. I tend to charge once or twice a week to avoid charging to 100%.

However all that said, with no way of home charging I don't regret paying the extra for a car with the 6.6kW capability, this allows my driving pattern or work charging pattern to change in the future and I tend to keep my cars a long time.

SB

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Hi,

I bought a 2016 30kW Leaf with a 6.6kW charger just at the end of January from a Nissan dealer. I pushed it out to the last day of the month and got 5% off the list price but nothing else.

I do a 15 mile round trip daily but have no way of charging at home so am reliant on pod points at work (paid) and at a local tesco (free). I went for the 6.6kW for flexibility and the option to use the Tesco ones whilst shopping to get me most of my charge. To be honest though I haven't made much use of them as I mostly charge at work, and as the pod point spaces are always empty I would have been fine with a 3.3kW charger. I average 3.3miles/kWh at the moment (its a hilly drive!), so thats about 5kWhs of charge to replenish which at 3.3kW charge rate would be a 2 hour daily charge. I tend to charge once or twice a week to avoid charging to 100%.

However all that said, with no way of home charging I don't regret paying the extra for a car with the 6.6kW capability, this allows my driving pattern or work charging pattern to change in the future and I tend to keep my cars a long time.

SB
I opted for 6.6kW when I ordered my 30kWh leaf in 2015 because I wanted the flexibility it offered. I could charge to full in work in a couple of hours, or re-fill at home (on my 7kW pod-point unit) after my commute, just as quickly.

It was a no-brainer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I
I bought a 2017 30KW Tekna leaf only last week! I did not findthey offered much more than what is advertised on the nissan used car info page.

Do drive a hard bargain tho, I threatened to walk away unless they lowered price, I stated the truth that as soon as this years new plates change there will be lots more to choose from as people upgrade.
I'm just looking at Leafs now and was thinking exactly the same thing... will the cars currently for sale on the franchise dealers site go down a little over the next few weeks??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Marcus! - yes I found the availability quite shockingly low actually! Especially for the spec I wanted - I wanted a Tekna and a 30KW car, no older than 2017 and with milage no higher than 20k. Oh and for me it was really important the car was looked good cosmetically - well looked after inside, non smoker etc.

Anyway I found I had to call around - and found a red one for about £10,000 up in Bristol I think. It seemed OK but the photos did make the car look a bit less than perfect inside, also when enquiring about charging lead and floor mats it did not have them, so he was going to get some from another leaf if I wanted the car.

Anyway since I had never even driven one I thought I would cheekily call a near garage and ask to test drive a 2017 Leaf, and found a more expensive one near home in West Sussex. Called the garage Sat morning, test drove at midday and put the deposit down that day. I literally fell in love with the car, it ws in a stunning condition, one past owner and looked new and also...... it was BLACK! Black leafs in that spec seem hard to find and after seeing how great it looked I went for it.

I did find they gave a good part exchange price at Nissan - mine was a really old car that had been bashed about before I bought it but they gave me near £1000 for it, so I felt it was a good deal.
When asking about part exchanging my 57 plate C-Max, I was just offered £200 auction price (It's worth £1200 privately..)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts