Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a first foot into EV owning I am going to view a 56 Dynamique Nav 22kWh. I don't usually drive long distances, 42 mile round trip to work, 15 mile to nearest city. Occasional 25 mile to coast in summer. We do holiday in the UK and drive to the destination whether on south coast or Scottish highlands. Should I be worried about range or am I having range anxiety without cause.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
97 Posts
I highly doubt it will be a non lease version for that sorts of money.
If it is then I'd suggest buying it now as it's worth more than 10k easily.
Although I've got a deposit down on an MG and will have a 2015 Zoe for sale soon I'll have it if it's a non lease version and you don't want it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Be very careful. It doesn't look like an i version, even though advertised as one (which is common). There is no 'i' badge on the boot lid, which there should be.

·
Premium Member
10,040 Posts
It is BATTERY LEASE see below (from AutoTrader validation)

We've identified this car using the details you provided
Renault Zoe 22kWh Dynamique Nav Auto 5dr (Battery Lease) (12 - 16)
  • Registration number: SN65NTY
  • Mileage: 31,000
  • Fuel type: Electric
  • Engine size: 0 cc
  • Body type: Hatchback
  • Colour: White
  • Transmission: Auto
  • Date of first registration: December 2015
Dealer guide price
£7,330 - £8,100

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
As long as they don't make him sign any battery lease paperwork and he removes the TCU (or the fuse or SIM, can't remember specifically what you're meant to remove), it's all good...

Edit: I stand by my prediction that clueless dealers and an easy-to-remove "phone home" unit will lead to a used market full of cheap "owned" Zoes...

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,083 Posts
It'll have a battery lease as everyone else says. I got my 65 plate for 6900 around March 2018 but it seems they may have appreciated since then, so it adds up.

It's a good choice, the Dynamique Nav is what I have and it has all the bells and whistles like reversing camera, sensors, etc. I purposefully sought that trim model out rather than go for a base one. 45 miles is no problem at all unless it's one giant hill in the middle of winter that you intend to tackle at 86mph :)

If you do buy it, buy it soon (before December) so that you can extend the warranty at £289 for a year (£329ish thereafter). Zoes are affordable but the cost of that is that they're not the most reliable of EVs, and you don't want a several-grand repair bill. Do not buy a Zoe without a warranty (either OEM or the owner has extended which can be transferred in a private sale)

Also look at mk1 Leafs if that's your budget and the battery lease isn't your thing. Ask in the Leaf forum for advice but IIRC up until about 2014-2015 they didn't have a heat pump so range might be a little more tight in winter in an old one.

(Offtopic Edit: Haha I have an Ireland flag by my name. Silly VPN picked the wrong country)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have it reserved and moved closer to view
Have Evans Halshaw (EH) changed their policy then? Earlier in the year, and online via their website, I paid £200 to reserve a Zoe and have it moved to my local branch of EH. Not long after they came back to me saying “Sorry, we don’t move electric vehicles” and refunded my £200.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Yes, but even better if they forget the lease paperwork ;)

·
Premium Member
10,040 Posts
The problem with clueless dealers selling leased as owned, is the most likely scenario is that you end up getting your money back because it was "not as described" and had a free car for a few month. Or you negotiate maybe £500 back for inconvenience, etc.

It is highly unlikely that RCI will let the buyer have the battery free and they know where the buyer lives, so would just start legal proceedings to recover their property - the battery. Unfortunately buying in ignorance is no defence - just like buying any stolen property ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
They turned someone's ability to charge the battery off because they didn't do the paper work not long ago, so after a few months suddenly the car was an expensive paper weight.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
@sijones The phone-home unit is removable.

It is highly unlikely that RCI will let the buyer have the battery free and they know where the buyer lives, so would just start legal proceedings to recover their property - the battery.
I think they'd tie themselves up in paperwork and process to the point where the buyer would either have moved house or sold it on by the time they get organised... unpopular opinion maybe, but for folk who move a lot, the odds of their car being registered where they actually currently reside is a crapshoot. Either that, or it would make no financial sense to chase the battery once you add in the cost of tracing it, engaging legal professionals etc etc.

But uh, yes. Don't do it, kids (but if you do, let us know if it works out for you).

·
Zoe Devotee
7,772 Posts
Lets just clear it up, if your Zoe was registered in the UK before 2016 then its a battery hire car... end of story. It may no longer have a battery hire in place, but this doesn't make it a battery owned car, it makes it an insurance write off where RCI was paid for the battery cost. RCI has no ownership rights to the pack, but they do have the right to "make it safe" as it was supposed to be scrapped so they could brick it at any point.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts