Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around this forum for a while now, during that time I've ordered a new Hyundai Ioniq 38kw. It isn't a car I would have normally considered, but it is affordable and it is an EV.

What I find interesting about some of the discussions on here is the willingness of people generally to weigh up/cross shop completely different types of EV that most people would never consider in the ICE world.

For example, pondering if a putting a 'bit extra' in for a Model 3 over a Hyundai Kona is worth it.

I've driven a ICE Kona, and compared to my current Mk7 Golf, it is a shadow of car. It looks nice, but essentially, it is a cheap jacked up Korean hatch. It would be like considering a Kia Ceed and a high end 3 Series.

Which makes me think, that despite the new EVs coming out this year, we are way off market adoption purely on the choice available. The choices at the moment are being made around the battery and it's range against any other consideration. Once we see more choice and decisions are made less on range, that's where the tipping point of EVs will be.

It is one of the reasons why I have decided to lease, as I don't think I'd like to commit to any of the current EVs available long term.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,438 Posts
Range is a big factor in today's EV market.
Hyundai and Kia while not being high end car brand have the most efficient powertrain today.

If I was on 35k territory, I would add another 3k and get Tesla model 3 as it opens up additional charging options

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
The choices at the moment are being made around the battery and it's range against any other consideration.
Because charging in the wild is (reputationally) uncertain and time consuming. Once rapid chargers are readily available without having to get a route planning app involved then there will probably be a change in attitude.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
It is one of the reasons why I have decided to lease, as I don't think I'd like to commit to any of the current EVs available long term.
Where does this bizarre notion that buying is a lifetime commitment come from?

Buying has zero commitment. You are not contracted to drive it a certain mileage or keep it any length of time. You are free to sell whenever you want. I could trade mine in for far less hassle than returning a lease car tomorrow if I wanted to, after just 11months owning it. Would be a lot cheaper too...

Leasing is making a contractual commitment to keep a car a certain number of months, otherwise you face fees.

But to answer your question, I agree. Suddenly I am considering buying brand new Corsas and Peugeot 208s...I would never have even contemplated that back when I was driving an ICE....!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where does this bizarre notion that buying is a lifetime commitment come from?

Buying has zero commitment. You are not contracted to drive it a certain mileage or keep it any length of time. You are free to sell whenever you want. I could trade mine in for far less hassle than returning a lease car tomorrow if I wanted to, after just 11months owning it. Would be a lot cheaper too...

Leasing is making a contractual commitment to keep a car a certain number of months, otherwise you face fees.

But to answer your question, I agree. Suddenly I am considering buying brand new Corsas and Peugeot 208s...I would never have even contemplated that back when I was driving an ICE....!
Not a lifetime commitment. Just more than a lease.

Kept the last few cars I've had between 4-6 years and bought them cash.

Wouldn't dream of doing that with current EVs.

2 year lease, and handing it back at the end seems the right thing to do.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Range is a big factor in today's EV market.
Hyundai and Kia while not being high end car brand have the most efficient powertrain today.

If I was on 35k territory, I would add another 3k and get Tesla model 3 as it opens up additional charging options

- Leaf 30 kWh
Yes, true. The battery alone is getting you to consider adding that money and reaching to what is effectively a 3 series from a low cost Korean hatchback.

In theory, in years to come that won't happen as much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Buying has zero commitment.
For most of us (average people) buying a vehicle is always a commitment of sorts. Yes I can sell my car at any time but the time, anxiety and stresses of dealing with it all are a great deterrent (sorting out insurance etc it all takes its toll on some of simple folk). We just want to get a car with minimal buyer remorse and not have think about what 'the market' is doing every year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Which makes me think, that despite the new EVs coming out this year, we are way off market adoption purely on the choice available.
I have to agree strongly with you there. I think that at the moment there is a lot of luck as to whether the vehicles available suit your lifestyle and if you're in a fortunate enough position to be able to pay the purchase prices demanded. I would hypothesise that the vast majority is not confident nor wants to spend time calculating routes they need to take for a weekend drive to a friend's. Until we are at a point where most can comfortably not worry about these things mass adoption will not happen.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,438 Posts
Anpther point towards battery and efficiency is iPace and eTron. Both are 70k luxury cars yet they have a range of 220-240 miles.

- Leaf 30 kWh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts