Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

What were the top 2 features you looked for when choosing your home charger?

• Price

• Charging speed

• Functionality (e.g. WiFi, GPRS)

• Brand recognition

• Warranty and build quality

• Looks

• Security

• Installation timing

• Safety

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

The home charging market seems to be increasingly competitive, with lots of new chargers coming to market.

I’m curious - how did everyone think about choosing their charger?

What’s was important in your decision making process:

Price? Speed? Functionality (e.g. WiFi, GPRS, etc.)? Brand recognition? Looks? Build quality and warranty? Security? Safety? Other?

Best, N

·
Registered
331 Posts
We were naive when it came to a charger. The dealer said Renault had a deal with Chargemaster, which was technically correct, but only for new cars. But we didn't know that and went with them. That's why I haven't answered your poll.

But even a few months later, I'm still none the wiser about which is best and why...

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Price and looks for me.

Brand recognition doesnt mean much when your new to EV's, and the established electrical switchgear brands (eg Schneider, ABB etc) dont have a huge input on the home charging market.

Feature wise, i would actually prefer LESS. Keep it simple and robust, rather than chock full of consumer grade electronics just waiting to go wrong.

Charging speed is all much the same, and they all offer 7kw.

Security/Safety etc arent really concerns, and the warranty is stipulated by OLEV at 3 years anyway.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Couldn't agree more about features - they're just more to go wrong. We always try to buy the cheapest variant of something with quality, rather than the most feature-laden version of a lower quality item.

But which are the quality ones?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. On quality, perhaps it is too early to tell. I've heard of chargers failing, but as most of the EV vehicle stock is under 3 years old (given the high growth rates for EV sales), most EV charge point installs will still be covered under warranty. Perhaps as they get older a noticable failure trend will emerge ...

I'm wondering how the demand for charge points will change when the OLEV grant dissapears. At the moment that provides 75% or up to ~£500 off the install of charge point. That makes some installs cost as little as ~£150, whilst other "smarter" charge points cost anywhere up to ~£400+ - which feels like a big difference.

Without the £500 OLEV grant, perhaps this will make more people just ask their local electrician to install a simple 32 amp outdoor socket ... as this will be far the cheapest option.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I voted "other" because what I was looking for was something built around common standard components so that it would be easy to repair/replace/upgrade over the coming years. I went for Rolec because if any part fails it's an easy replacement with widely available parts (the parts don't have to come from Rolec). And if I want to upgrade later when worthwhile 'smart' features become available, I can just replace the Mode 3 Controller module with whatever fancy internet connected version I may choose. I avoided any chargers that were custom made integrated boards because if that fails I would expect an expensive repair only available from the OEM.

My other vote was looks. This thing is attached to the front of my house so looks matter.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
We were naive when it came to a charger. The dealer said Renault had a deal with Chargemaster, which was technically correct, but only for new cars. But we didn't know that and went with them. That's why I haven't answered your poll.

But even a few months later, I'm still none the wiser about which is best and why...
I agree with you. I've had 2 EVs now and 2 1/2 years of ownership. I'm non the wiser over home chargers. I just took the free(ish) one that came with Renault.

One thing I do know now. If I had a choice again I'd choose tethered, even if I had to pay the extra.

My friend chose a Zappi as he has Solar panels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts