Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already placed my order but looking for some advice from experienced owners about what I should make sure is checked/inspected before taking delivery.

Any updates I should be aware of that need to be forced on the dealer?

·
Registered
130 Posts
You should certainly make sure that the BMS update has been installed, properly, if they haven’t with the recall in progress it would be a bit poor IMO.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,550 Posts
2 cables - the granny brick one is in a long rectangle bag , and the type2-type2 is coiled up in a round bag --- both were pointed out to me when the hander-overer was explaining about the adjustable boot floor, they were under that boot floor.

Fyi if you have downloaded the blue link app before you go, it is possible to get it working within 5mins -- I had the dealer person read out the VIN number from the bottom of windscreen display and we prodded a bit in the internal car menus, and after some combined in-car and phone-app button pressing we got the phone app to correctly report battery status / range.

I took a picture of s/w levels with me, and I reckoned my car was back level compared to what I read on here.
I had my car go in a week ago for something else and asked them then to update it (as apparently can take a while) and they told me it was already at the latest levels.
Still makes me laugh it tells me the nearest charge point is a Nissan dealer (that only has a chad point )

·
Registered
Kona64
1,550 Posts
You don't normally get mats supplied --- some dealers chuck them in instead of flowers/chocolates/half-tank-of-unleaded. Some don't.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input guys. Much appreciated.

Just to give a bit of context im trading in my e Golf for the Kona. Will be sad to see the Golf go but needed a slightly longer range car. Got a decent enough px value from the dealer that swayed me.

Never actually driven the car so can't really compare with the Golf but from what I've seen from various reviews it seems like it is one of the best long rangers.

·
Registered
2019 Kona 65Kw 2017 Outlander phev gx4hs
583 Posts

Just to give a bit of context im trading in my e Golf for the Kona. Will be sad to see the Golf go but needed a slightly longer range car. Got a decent enough px value from the dealer that swayed me.

Never actually driven the car so can't really compare with the Golf but from what I've seen from various reviews it seems like it is one of the best long rangers.
Never driven an E Golf but it is noisy at speed you don't notice it until you drive something else 1 year of motoring and it still makes me smile, the nexen tyres on mine just won't wear out so I can fit quieter ones I think new konas do have a different tyre though

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
527 Posts

We've had quite a few golfs through the year. So we took an e-golf for a ride. Lovely ride, no question. But range is the big one that lets it down. Went for the kona and never looked back. What is really difficult is avoiding putting it in sport mode and leaving almost everyone else in the mirror.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
You should certainly make sure that the BMS update has been installed, properly, if they haven’t with the recall in progress it would be a bit poor IMO.
You can easily check this - on the dash menu ( butttons on right of wheel), in "Other options", ensure that there is NOT a "Aux Battery Saver +" option - if there is, the BMS update has either not been done, or been done incorrectly

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You don't normally get mats supplied --- some dealers chuck them in instead of flowers/chocolates/half-tank-of-unleaded. Some don't.
Y
You can easily check this - on the dash menu ( butttons on right of wheel), in "Other options", ensure that there is NOT a "Aux Battery Saver +" option - if there is, the BMS update has either not been done, or been done incorrectly
Good to know thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We've had quite a few golfs through the year. So we took an e-golf for a ride. Lovely ride, no question. But range is the big one that lets it down. Went for the kona and never looked back. What is really difficult is avoiding putting it in sport mode and leaving almost everyone else in the mirror.
Really love the drive but like you said range is the biggest issue.

How do you rate the overall comfort of the Kona?

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I didn't get mats included so I bought some from Vehicle Mats UK (£32.95 including £8 for heavier 750g/sqm carpet and £3 for the blue/black trim and took 7 days from order to delivery). Like @mikeselectricstuff said whether you get genuine Hyundai mats or third party ones make sure they are for the Kona Electric.

Reactions: Todor

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I am now officially a driver of the Kona Electric Premium SE in Galactic Grey.

This Top Gear review is rather good:
Hyundai Kona Electric.

Makes me happy that I ordered the car and replaced it for the Golf.

I really enjoyed the Golf, loved driving it. If it wasn't for the small range and constant need to charge everyday i would have kept it. The Kona only needs charging once a week.

I am looking for some decent all weather mats but can't seem to find any that are of reasonable quality. Called Hyundai who haven't any in stock or available to order. Can anyone recommend quality mats or other accessories they've purchased.

I wish there were gripper materials in the cupholders and the other areas of the car such as the door pockets. Anything placed in these areas seem to move and rattle about when on the move.

Anyway thanks to all for your replies.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,550 Posts
PS Does anyone have Rear Seats (Outer) - Heated in theirs ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is there supposed to be a VESS button on the Kona?

For some reason all the videos I have seen have this button but mine doesn't.

Or have they removed this for fairly new cars?

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Or have they removed this for fairly new cars?
Maybe. As the law now requires a noise generator it may no longer be acceptable to provide an easy means to disable it.

The button used to be on the panel low down on the right of the steering wheel (for RHD cars).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does anyone know if the law requires the noise generator to be working? In other words, is it illegal to press the button and turn it off?

·
Registered
2020 Honda e Advance Platinum White Pearl on 17s
347 Posts
Does anyone know if the law requires the noise generator to be working? In other words, is it illegal to press the button and turn it off?
If there’s a factory fitted button on a car that silences the noise generator it’s very unlikely to be illegal to use it otherwise the question would have to be asked, “why fit the button?”.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts