Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Maybe they are from US military bases as was suggested with the one you saw near Oxford/Banbury iirc? I would guess that the military would then be responsible for maintenance whilst under their ownership. Also there were reports of the volt1 being supplied to military bases in 2012/3 so maybe this continued.
The point that I was making is that the number of second generation Volts being offered for sale in mainland Europe is pretty much the same as the average number of first generation Amperas and Volts that we see for sale at any given time in the UK. Given that there are around 1300 first generation Amperas and Volts registered in the UK, it would be reasonable to make an assumption that a similar number of second generation Volts could be running around in mainland Europe. There are examples of the second generation Volt being offered for sale in Germany, Holland, Belgium and Poland - not all of these countries host US military forces. And, they must be getting maintained somewhere . . .

·
Registered
144 Posts
The point that I was making is that the number of second generation Volts being offered for sale in mainland Europe is pretty much the same as the average number of first generation Amperas and Volts that we see for sale at any given time in the UK. Given that there are around 1300 first generation Amperas and Volts registered in the UK, it would be reasonable to make an assumption that a similar number of second generation Volts could be running around in mainland Europe. There are examples of the second generation Volt being offered for sale in Germany, Holland, Belgium and Poland - not all of these countries host US military forces. And, they must be getting maintained somewhere . . .
I wouldn't make that assumption as the gen1 was officially launched and supported in Europe, the gen2 wasn't. Therefore my assumption would be that there are far less of them either through personal imports or other means. How they are being supported is anyone's guess.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,003 Posts
This is not as hard as I thought - there are several shipping companies that quote as little as £650 for shipping a new car from the USA, making sure it is road legal and registering it in the UK. OK it will be Left Hand Drive but there are 2019 Volts on the forecourts of US dealers for as little as the equivalent of £20k. Like this one! OK - I realise that this is a rebuilt example but still good as new!
We know that at least one person has done it - so it must be worth thinking about . . .
Don't forget taxes on new cars. Might be better to find a 6 month old 'used' one.

What's the current marked offering for imports these days? Can you please link to your £650 example?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What's the current marked offering for imports these days? Can you please link to your £650 example?
There are several firms that offer personal vehicle imports from the USA - although, until Brexit takes place it may be easier to buy a used example from mainland Europe and drive it home. Classic car enthusiasts have been shipping vehicles from the USA for years - mainly because classic British cars like Austin Healeys, Triumphs and MGs that have been stored in warm dry states like California are free of serious corrosion.

Here are a couple of shipping companies:
www.cfrrinkens.com
www.shipoverseas.com

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,003 Posts
Ta. I have owned a number of US imports a long time ago, not considered importing one myself for a long while.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ta. I have owned a number of US imports a long time ago, not considered importing one myself for a long while.
As previously expressed, this is just fanciful hypothesis on my part. However I do believe the second generation Volt was an overall improvement and I do like the improved look and feel of it. I believe GM also made improvements to the reflector lenses, door buttons, charging hatch, steering lock, and many other areas that have been a bit of a nuisance on our first generation Ampera/Volt models.

Now that production has finally ceased, and acknowledging that there is little chance of ever seeing a right hand drive version of the second generation Volt, I can foresee two possible scenarios:

1. The prices of used Volts will drop even further and this will make an import a justifiable gamble;
or,
2. The price of used Volts will sky rocket because folks will realise (too late) what a fantastic car it is!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
9 Participants
HandyAndy
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing