Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I placed my M3 SR+ order at noon on 1 May, a shade under £43k in red with the 19" wheels. Then I started really doing the research. Then I email R Symons and test drove a Model S and it arrives on Thursday... my 'mental dump'

1. The Model S has a hatch-back vs saloon of a Model 3 - having a hound makes this easier
  2. The deprecation driving off the forecourt on a £43k purchase is worrying, I know any new car has this but if Elon steps up production and cuts the price then it could be an even bigger loss/
  3. Elon has a history of reducing prices and changes his mind and has already altered pricing and options twice since I placed a reservation on 1 May cancelling the Performance version and only making the Long range version then adding a tow-bar option after people had ordered.
  4. There is still no estimate as to when Model 3 cars will be delivered; July - December being mentioned on some forums. When I I ordered on 1 May I was told late June, that could have been July but my lease goes back July 31st
  5. I ordered the Model 3 thinking it had a larger battery capacity than the 50kWh that became apparent only a few weeks ago. The Tesla Model 3 75D has a 75kWh battery.
  6. The Model 3 SR+ real world range is 202 miles, The Model S 75D is 243 miles (source Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com)
  7. The Model 3 is rear wheel drive, the Model S 75D is dual motor
  8. Small amount of free supercharging up front with the Model 3 (5,000 miles / 6 months) I get lifetime free supercharging with the Model S at any Tesla Supercharger in the UK or Europe. I live 3 miles away from a Super charger.
  9. Model S 75D was ~£70k new, I am buying it for £47,500k - The depreciation on the Model S over 3 years will be way less than a Model 3 . I estimate I will lose ~£10-£13k driving this car for 3 years.
  10. After 3 years there will be Tesla Model Y models in stock, VW ID and BMW i4.
  11. The Model S has 18 months Tesla warranty left, a new Model 3 would have 4 years. (point for the Model 3!)
  12. The Model 3 has firm suspension which on some local roads round here is not good (I had a BMW i3 and you felt running over an ant!). The Model S has air suspension for a smoother, adjustable ride.
  13. Lots of reports of road and wind noise on the Model 3 due to insufficient sound deadening - Tesla Model S is a more refined , quieter ride.
  14. There is No road tax and no luxury car tax with the Model S as it was registered pre April 2017. I would have to pay £320 a year with the Model 3 from years 2 to year 5
  15. The Model 3 is more suitable for UK roads the Model S is a bit of boat (another point for the M3!)
  16. The Model S 75D is faster than the Model 3 SR+ with a longer range.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you get £43k purchase price for the Model 3 SR+? It’s around £39k after the PICG. Did you add FSD?
£2k for red, ~£1k for wheels and £850 delivery

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats!

14 points for the Model S and 2 for the Model 3, not trying to convince yourself here are you? ;)

Takes a very brave soul to buy a used S at the moment IMO.

Enjoy :)
With a couple of years warranty left why a brave soul ?

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,373 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
You would be crazy not to get a model 3 without FSD?

Robot taxi will surely increase the value of a Model 3, and it will earn you money.

I don’t think the M3 will depreciate short term at all, and when FSD is enabled beginingnof next year i think it will go up even more. Worst case you will break even.

In the US 2nd hand M3’s are still more than new ones!

Also; I have just got a Model S P85+ With AP1 because I can’t afford a Model 3 Performance with FSD yet.

·
Registered
454 Posts
With a couple of years warranty left why a brave soul ?
Depreciation, used S prices haven’t stopped falling yet due to the 3, think they still have a long way to drop, especially as the 3 isn’t here in volume yet.

Not many people would choose to pay more for an S than a brand new 3, appreciate there are people who can’t live with a 3 due to dogs etc but for everyone else current used S prices don’t stack up for me.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
You would be crazy not to get a model 3 without FSD?

Robot taxi will surely increase the value of a Model 3, and it will earn you money.
Just a few items on why it's not particularly crazy to not get FSD,
  • You are assuming that everybody would want to use their car as a RoboTaxi
  • Many finance deals excludes you from using your car as a taxi, nevermind insurance
  • We have no idea when or if FSD 'robotaxi mode' will be available in the UK, we are legally lagged behind Europe, which is lagged behind the US regardless of the so-called-pro-autonomous-driving politics.
  • Every car sold today has the capability to upgrade to FSD, it is cheaper to do so at the point of ordering rather than after the fact and chances are prices will increase (but the opposite has also happened before), either way this is a OTA update and is just a flip of a flag
  • OP's ModelS should be AP2.0 if I guess its age right, so would also be upgradeable to FSD anyway

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a few items on why it's not particularly crazy to not get FSD,
  • You are assuming that everybody would want to use their car as a RoboTaxi
  • Many finance deals excludes you from using your car as a taxi, nevermind insurance
  • We have no idea when or if FSD 'robotaxi mode' will be available in the UK, we are legally lagged behind Europe, which is lagged behind the US regardless of the so-called-pro-autonomous-driving politics.
  • Every car sold today has the capability to upgrade to FSD, it is cheaper to do so at the point of ordering rather than after the fact and chances are prices will increase (but the opposite has also happened before), either way this is a OTA update and is just a flip of a flag
  • OP's ModelS should be AP2.0 if I guess its age right, so would also be upgradeable to FSD anyway
Correct Model S 75D with AP2 - which is essentially all FSD can do under current legislation and has un aupgared path to FSD

·
Registered
385 Posts
if you phone Telsa they will find you a brand new Model S ex-demo car for about £60K, I got one for £51k 2018 plate with 700 miles, registered to me as the very first owner, reason so cheap is the car had a minor bump while a customer was demoing car which Tesla repaired. Another was was £56k 7000 miles but had £14k of extras. Again it was sold has new and would be registered to you as the first owner.

Because they are new you can do PCP and get 8 year warranty and super charging if you order before end of month.

Yes luxury tax will still be a thing :cry: no way round that:mad::(

·
Registered
385 Posts
Correct Model S 75D with AP2 - which is essentially all FSD can do under current legislation and has un aupgared path to FSD

2017 will it have the slow as duck MCU? that would drive me nuts!!! Scrolling on maps is almost useless. But still enjoy the car if that is all the funds will allow.

Mine is £13.5K deposit and monthly £575 and £16k at the end of 60 months.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
You forgot warranty on the battery & drivetrain on a 3 is limited by mileage 100/120k as well as years, warranty on battery and drivetrain for the S is unlimited mileage.

@thomas day I have a December 2015 car regards MCU and the only thing that I see as a lack of responsiveness is in the browser which I don't use. The map issue you highlight i.e. scrolling, isn't really an issue at all in the real world usage of the car.

And congrats on the purchase price on the car, although with the finance pricing above you are actually paying £58,250 by my maths.

·
Registered
205 Posts
hi
  1. The Model 3 SR+ real world range is 202 miles, The Model S 75D is 243 miles (source Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com
According to that site the Model 3 SR+ has a real world range of issues 235 miles on 19” wheels and 245 miles on 18” wheels.

Also it has a battery size of 55KwH not 50KwH.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts