Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, i have 14k and would like 4 doors and a hatch. Milage will be around 4000 a year max 15-20 miles a day Minday-Fridaynand its a second car. Ive looked at drove and really liked I3's, Leaf , Prius and Merc C350E, i didnt really like Zoe and outlander.

My concern is that its my first EV and should i go pure battery or hybrid or just have the reassurance of a range extender in the I3 for example. My second concern is that i would realistically like to keep the car 5 years or so and if i'm buying a 4-5 year old car to start with do i need to be worrying about battery degradation.

The I3 i test drove was pure electric and i really like it, it just felt fun and nice to drive. They do seem to have a fair few issues though, is this something that is less of problem the newer you go also is there any reason not to get the range extender version.

Leaf just seemed well put together with more room and i'm guessing i would get a slightly newer one. They have been around a while and seem pretty well built proof.

Prius surprised me as i was sure i would hate it and it turns out its a pretty nice drive loads of room in it (i'm 6'4 hence the room thing)

C350E would be the first gen and to be honest i fell in love with the interior but again i read about poor electric range and a few issues and i don't need another big car as we already have a Subaru Forester. Thats the reason i ruled out the outlander plus i was a little underwhelmed with it.

Any advice would be much appreciated especially as far as stay away from a x or try to get an X etc.

thank you in advance and sorry for the long post, i've been lurking on here for a while now.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
As the title says, i have 14k and would like 4 doors and a hatch. Milage will be around 4000 a year max 15-20 miles a day Minday-Fridaynand its a second car. Ive looked at drove and really liked I3's, Leaf , Prius and Merc C350E, i didnt really like Zoe and outlander.

My concern is that its my first EV and should i go pure battery or hybrid or just have the reassurance of a range extender in the I3 for example. My second concern is that i would realistically like to keep the car 5 years or so and if i'm buying a 4-5 year old car to start with do i need to be worrying about battery degradation.

The I3 i test drove was pure electric and i really like it, it just felt fun and nice to drive. They do seem to have a fair few issues though, is this something that is less of problem the newer you go also is there any reason not to get the range extender version.

Leaf just seemed well put together with more room and i'm guessing i would get a slightly newer one. They have been around a while and seem pretty well built proof.

Prius surprised me as i was sure i would hate it and it turns out its a pretty nice drive loads of room in it (i'm 6'4 hence the room thing)

C350E would be the first gen and to be honest i fell in love with the interior but again i read about poor electric range and a few issues and i don't need another big car as we already have a Subaru Forester. Thats the reason i ruled out the outlander plus i was a little underwhelmed with it.

Any advice would be much appreciated especially as far as stay away from a x or try to get an X etc.

thank you in advance and sorry for the long post, i've been lurking on here for a while now.
We've been really pleased with our 30kW Leaf. It's 5 years old and still has most of its original range. Realistically the 120 miles it says it can go is more like 80 most of the time as you wouldn't go all the way down to zero, and most of the time wouldn't drive to maximise efficiency.

If your daily usage is only 20 miles range isn't going to be a big issue especially as a second car.

Do you have a drive or garage where you can fit a charge point?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Have you looked at the Hyundai Ioniq?

I have the a battery owned Zoe 41kWh and got it just about your budget (but it took a lot of hunting around). I went with this one as it was one of the cheapest EVs with the longest ranges. It was only only 2yrs old so could extend the car warranty to match the 8yr battery warranty for little cost after the 4yr manufacturers warranty runs out (~£300/year).

However if range isn't a massive issue for day to day use I would look to see whether you could get the original 28kWh Ioniq. It's got great efficiency and it's rapid charging rate is also really good, making it suitable for the odd long distance trip too.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,985 Posts
Hi and welcome.

For the miles you say you will drive it then any BEV will easily cope. You won't need a range extender on the i3.
Many PHEVs will be using petrol by the end of the trip. They are good if you need a short range most of the time put want the petrol engine for longer trips but for your use its unlikely to be necessary.
A 24kWh Leaf would have plenty of miles even if the battery was getting old. The last I had was 45 miles on a cold wet day mostly at 70mph.
Early i3's had more issues but I believe it was mostly with the range extender.
I have an e-Golf now and it's a great car. The early ones have plenty of miles for your use.

·
Registered
Two Nissan Leaf e+
251 Posts
Hi Martin.
I previously had an Outlander and now own a newish Leaf. The PHEV was nice but it sounds like you're already past them with your research and expertise. A full BEV is just better and would be perfect for your parameters. I don't think you would need a range extender either. All of the cars that you and others have mentioned here would be fine I'm sure; there are some good ones in your price range...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts

Later battery soul for £14k.

·
Leaf lover
5,015 Posts
WARNING when you start driving electric you will want to drive it more and more.

I started with a Leaf in 2011, passed that on to my son on the understanding he would only use it to commute to work, next think I know he stuck at a charger out shopping.
Anyway I am into my 5th year with an i3 with range extender, issues, it only seats 4, silly rear doors, hand luggage only.
Love the car, so does my wife. We do all our day to day stuff on electric but can go anywhere. If we can charge up en route we do, if we can't for whatever reason, we just carry on and the generator kicks in automatically and gets us home or allows us to continue our holiday.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,889 Posts
You don't give the impression that a car's looks have a huge impact on buying decisions if you don't mind the i3, Leaf, and Prius. Many people reject each, or all of these, purely on looks and don't even get to consider their performance. My vote would be to search out a classic Ioniq 28 which doesn't stretch the budget too much. Something like this. A test drive will be dangerous though because you will want one immediately. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...pe=Electric&include-delivery-option=on&page=1

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
575 Posts
It's already been said but if your looking to spend £14k then both the Soul and Ioniq would be a good bet, the Ioniq probably being the better option but both these cars seem to have lesser battery degradation than the Leaf. The Ioniq is very capable of going on long road trips too so would give you more options if you ever wanted to do more than just a short commute in an EV.

If your absolutely certain your only going to be doing such low mileage though maybe an old 24kwh Leaf would be a cheaper option. Good ones can be found for around7-8k, range wouldn't be an issue and degradation isn't so bad if they are not rapid charged much and not driven like they were stolen!

·
Super Moderator
12,221 Posts
just have the reassurance of a range extender in the I3 for example.
Avoid 2013-2015 i3, especially one with a range extender. Repairs can be very expensive.

2016 Reliablity isn't too bad. 2017 has the bigger battery which reduces the need for a REx.

On any i3, watch out for the rear hatch. The skin is all glass. They shatter easily and cost over £1000 to replace.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
As wonderful as the Ioniq is (and I have one myself) one thing it is not, is particularly fun to drive.

On the other hand, although typically more reliable than traditional cars they are not perfect and all older EVs can be eye wateringly expensive to fix and it seems that the BMW especially the range extenders are perhaps a little more likely to need fixing.

If you have 14K and think you could stretch to it, I'd still consider buying or leasing new or nearly new on pch or pcp. Chances are if you look carefully you will find a deal that wont burn through all of that money over 3 years. Keep an eye on the cheap deals thread and websites like UK hotdeals. You should easily be able to find deals for 1-2k deposit and 250-350 a month depending on the level of car you go for and possibly less with your indicated mileage.

Unlike EVs of a few years ago I expect the newest models with more range will have better than predicted residuals and you might end up with some equity at the end of the deal and in the meantime you'll enjoy a better, more flexible car with less range anxiety and peace of mind that if anything goes wrong it will be fixed under warranty.

I've no first hand experience yet of them, but from what I have read and seen on youtube the MG 5 does seem to the thinking mans sensible choice at the moment and far better than you might expect from MG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow thank you so much for all of your replies.

I kinda ruled out the Ioniq just because i didn't think i would be able to get one on budget.

I totally agree that i don't need petrol for the range i do but all that keeps popping into my head is ohhhhhhh just incase you never know ...... I think its because its the first time i will have owned one.

So is it the smaller battery I3 i should avoid and realistically look at the 94ah one is it ?

Adding more cash initially isn't an option but as Hairy said possibly looking for a cracking PCP deal with an option to buy at the end isn't a bad idea. Again i haven't looked at the MG just because i couldn't get one in budget.

How the car looks on the outside makes no difference to me at all but i do like a few creature comforts inside, a nice driving position and toys/gadgets . Also have a preference for leather as i have a 15 month old daughter and slobbery French bulldog just makes it easier to wipe

I do have one more question what sort of milage should i be looking at on a used EV. From what i have read going as low as possible isn't the best idea as you need the battery to be used a bit on the other hand going higher milage to get a newer car for less might not be the best idea either ?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Adding more cash initially isn't an option but as Hairy said possibly looking for a cracking PCP deal with an option to buy at the end isn't a bad idea. Again i haven't looked at the MG just because i couldn't get one in budget.
PCP is just a loan, and will likely work out to be one of the most expensive ways to borrow money.

There are much cheaper ways to borrow money. For example, if you can get accepted for a 0% credit card with a £5k limit, you could pay some on that, then use savings for the rest.

·
Super Moderator
12,221 Posts
So is it the smaller battery I3 i should avoid and realistically look at the 94ah one is it ?
2016, last year with the 60Ah battery is ok. 2017 was the first year with the 94Ah battery. 2018 was first year with the facelift and updated i-drive.

If you get a 60Ah / 94Ah i3 without the REx, try to find one that has the heat pump. BMW call it auxillary cabin heating. Adds about 10 miles winter range.

BMW don't make REx with a heatpump. The fuel tank sits where the extra plumbing goes. In any case you don't need it. 94Ah REx is good for 145-200 miles combined range.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
PCP is just a loan, and will likely work out to be one of the most expensive ways to borrow money.

There are much cheaper ways to borrow money. For example, if you can get accepted for a 0% credit card with a £5k limit, you could pay some on that, then use savings for the rest.
Do dealers allow you to pay large amounts on credit card? I thought the limit was ~£2k

·
Super Moderator
12,221 Posts
As always, it depends on the deal. We bought Debbie's Mazda on a 0% PCP. We paid the balance at the end of the contract and now own the car.

No point in turning down a free loan.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Do dealers allow you to pay large amounts on credit card? I thought the limit was ~£2k
Oh good point, not sure. I can't see why it would be an issue though?

As always, it depends on the deal. We bought Debbie's Mazda on a 0% PCP. We paid the balance at the end of the contract and now own the car.

No point in turning down a free loan.
Depends on the deal. Very rare that 0% interest is not somehow baked into the price of the car. We can see this currently with the 0% deal on the MG ZS, where if you take the PCP deal with 4.9% interest you actually get additional discount, so the interest is simple added to the car price.

I know Bristol Street Motors had a 0% used PCP deal on Zoe's whilst I was looking, but they also always advertised their used Zoe's £3-4k more than other dealerships with comparable models (even main Renault dealers).

Likewise, if you could get say an ex-demo or pre-reg car for thousands less, then getting a new car with 0% will still be more expensive (albeit the extra cost may be worth it to be the first registered owner).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts