Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahoy folks, taking the EV plunge and buying a late 2017 94ah. Buying it BMW approved from a dealer over 150 miles away so the return journey should be an education!

Anything to look out for in particular on the day?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Check to see if it comes with the granny charger and a normal charging cable.
Ask the dealer to ensure it is fully charged when you pick it up
Use Zapmap to see what your charging options are for your journey home
Enjoy :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Ahoy folks, taking the EV plunge and buying a late 2017 94ah. Buying it BMW approved from a dealer over 150 miles away so the return journey should be an education!

Anything to look out for in particular on the day?
I assume that it will have had its first service. As the car comes with no paperwork, I suggest that you get the dealer to show you on their system that the servicing was done on time. The car may not come with a public charging cable.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I assume that it will have had its first service. As the car comes with no paperwork, I suggest that you get the dealer to show you on their system that the servicing was done on time. The car may not come with a public charging cable.
PS: I would check the tyre pressures and carryout a TPMS re-set via the iDrive. The i3's very thin tyres react quickly to changing outside air temperatures. Indeed, I have had i3 loaners in the past where the TPMS has shown a low pressure warning within a mile or so of the dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, will do. Though I'm beginning to wonder if they want to sell me the car now. Deposit down last week after they'd answered a load of my annoying questions. Now an eerie silence.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had several dealers sell the cars out from under me when trying to buy a used i3. Definitely need to reach out and give them a poke.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm. Well I'm beginning to get wound up. Might be a tense phone call tonight if the silence goes on.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Would you pick a 60 Rex or a 94 BEV.
I believe the Rex have it advantages for emergency situation but also come with extra mechanisms that increase the chance of fault
Personally, 94 Bev all the way.

• No engine to worry about service costs of
  • Not carrying the extra weight
  • Similar range
I'm a few months in on a 94Ah Bev and not regretting it at all.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I don't know if this is full proof, the dash display tells when the next service is due. This should indicate if it has had a service done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
An update for anyone interested - bought the i3 in the end. Good experience at the dealer, they're just awful at email communication.

Planned to charge up twice on the way back but it looked like I was going to miss dinner with the wife so I changed plans and charged once and bridged the gap with the Rex.

It is nice to have that flexibility but I won't lie - if my next ev can do 200 miles in winter conditions I'll happily leave petrol behind completely.

My first charge point was an ecotricity and it more or less worked which is nice after the horror stories. The app is crap though. Roll on contactless!

Just one problem with the car - rusty wheel hubs. I think I can sort with emery cloth and some careful spray painting. Anyone suggest a brand or type of paint?

·
The best there is at what I do
10,586 Posts
Just one problem with the car - rusty wheel hubs. I think I can sort with emery cloth and some careful spray painting. Anyone suggest a brand or type of paint?
I just used a silver calliper paint, clean the affected area with wire wool and scotch pads then just painted it on with a brush, it's easy as there is a natural line to follow, came out really well and have stayed rust free so far, I didn't think it was worth spending a lot of effort on them as discs are usually replaced at some stage but judging by the very low wear it's going to be a while yet.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Excellent - enjoy the car, we love ours despite the odd technical problem now and then (nothing since 2016, fingers crossed).

We were thinking of going up to 120Ah or 94Ah ReX and noticed with interest all 30-40 94Ah ReXs vanished overnight last Monday. They're a very attractive proposition one suspects they didn't all sell at once...

SnC

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,213 Posts
I liked reading this post - reminding me when I took delivery of my 60Ah REX back in Jan 2015. Had to drive 160 miles back from Southampton to Staffs, and both the 2 only available CCS units were out of action (Chievely and Warwick North). Was confirmed REX + CCS was a good choice despite a lot of people saying why have both - when I first ordered. turned out later that £600 CCS option would add £2000 to the value of used i3s. Best option ever ;) Not so sure the light grey interior helped. Still the best car I've owned. But chugging around in a Passat GTE currently - it goes back in April hence why I'm back on the forum thinking for the price of a Tesla 3 - I could have a used i3, keep the Passat for Mrs and and get a track prepped MX-5 for weekends and tow it with the Passat ;) (And still have spare change for a couple of motion Sim rigs).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts