Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been considering buying a ZOE for some time now and reading your comments on this forum has encouraged me even more. It seems a very reasonable choice for my daily journey of 60 miles on/off the M25 and M4 mainly.

The question is whether to go with a brand new one or a used car from a main dealer? I have been offered the top range model for around £13400 with a deposit of 40% on HP 0% interest option for 4 years plus the battery hire which seems like a good deal.

Being a completely new technology I am leaning towards a brand new car that comes with 4 years warranty and the full service option of £295 for 4 years. This seems like a much safer road to take in the uncharted territory of the electric cars.
was wondering what your thoughts on this and if you had any good/bad experiences with a used ZOE?

many thanks

·
Registered
916 Posts
That's pretty much the route I went with My showroom spec Zoe from new in June..I wanted the safety net of the backup support in case anything would go wrong..60 miles seems ok as a doable daily range figure..I set out on a 50 mile trip this evening and pulled in for a charge after 10 miles on the way home with 25 still on the "Guessometer"-not enough to get home with,though maybe ok to reach the next charger..I try and keep a bit of a buffer available..I take it you'd be getting a home charging box and you will have charging access at the other end and around your area.This will be my first winter with the car,so I'm preparing for some degradation in range as reported by others..Look into your options with the battery lease..I went with the 7500 mile limit,being about the same as my previous ICE car..that seems to be on the inadequate side,as I'm about half way through already! if covering 60 a day,every work day,that's 15660 a year,assuming you get 2 days off..not sure what that works out to in battery lease cost,but distance wise,that's about 3x mine (and correspondingly more expensive)..hopefully this hinted at "buy your battery" option in the pipeline will give you other options if needed!
good luck with the buy!

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Ammar and welcome to the world of Zoe ownership.
I've had mine just over a year now and done 14000 miles in it. I got the entry level car a year ago for the price you're quoted, plus i needed a loan which wasn't 0% - so what you've been offered sounds like a good deal to me! You might also want to look at the PCP deals available they've been widely discussed on this forum and are also a good deal at the moment.
Where are you based? 60 miles round trip will always be possible in a Zoe, even on motorways and in winter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's pretty much the route I went with My showroom spec Zoe from new in June..I wanted the safety net of the backup support in case anything would go wrong..60 miles seems ok as a doable daily range figure..I set out on a 50 mile trip this evening and pulled in for a charge after 10 miles on the way home with 25 still on the "Guessometer"-not enough to get home with,though maybe ok to reach the next charger..I try and keep a bit of a buffer available..I take it you'd be getting a home charging box and you will have charging access at the other end and around your area.This will be my first winter with the car,so I'm preparing for some degradation in range as reported by others..Look into your options with the battery lease..I went with the 7500 mile limit,being about the same as my previous ICE car..that seems to be on the inadequate side,as I'm about half way through already! if covering 60 a day,every work day,that's 15660 a year,assuming you get 2 days off..not sure what that works out to in battery lease cost,but distance wise,that's about 3x mine (and correspondingly more expensive)..hopefully this hinted at "buy your battery" option in the pipeline will give you other options if needed!
good luck with the buy!
Thanks for your input EV Rider.

There wont be any charging in-between my daily commute to work, I gather that you think 60 miles a day is not doable in the ZOE during winter time at least? This is crucial for me.

And yes, you are right about the mileage a year and therefore am going for the 12k contract for the battery which I think its going to be enough hopefully.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum @Ammar and welcome to the world of Zoe ownership.
I've had mine just over a year now and done 14000 miles in it. I got the entry level car a year ago for the price you're quoted, plus i needed a loan which wasn't 0% - so what you've been offered sounds like a good deal to me! You might also want to look at the PCP deals available they've been widely discussed on this forum and are also a good deal at the moment.
Where are you based? 60 miles round trip will always be possible in a Zoe, even on motorways and in winter.
HI Tim,
Thanks for your warm welcome.
Yes I do think the HP offer is quiet good. PCP is a bit more expensive but gives the flexibility of changing the car in 3 years time which might be the better of the 2 if there was no separate contract for the battery (might be worried about the battery performance after 3 years). But since this is separate, I dont mind keeping the Zoe for the next 6-7 years if the battery remains above 75% of its performance as promised.
I am based in the West end of London on the M40 corridor, I will be doing my daily commute of 29 miles each way to Windsor and the surroundings daily. So it will be a mixture of M40-M25-M4. All of which during rush hours have a real-time speed of 40-60 mph with a lot of stops and starts. This is why i am getting anywhere between 35-44 mpg in my current diesel car.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I am based in the West end of London on the M40 corridor, I will be doing my daily commute of 29 miles each way to Windsor and the surroundings daily. So it will be a mixture of M40-M25-M4. All of which during rush hours have a real-time speed of 40-60 mph with a lot of stops and starts. This is why i am getting anywhere between 35-44 mpg in my current diesel car.
With this sort of trip I would expect that you'll get something like 4-5 miles per kWh. So no problem with the round trip each day. Whilst that sort of traffic is rubbish for a diesel car's efficiency, an EV performs well in steady flowing motorway traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
That's an interesting route - you have a few hills on the M25 to contend with and possibly slightly more uphill on your return leg. That said, it should be fairly easily within range for a Zoe.

You may want to experiment with the shortest non-motorway route. An EV uses hardly any power when it's in slow moving traffic and the near-silent, automatic drivetrain is a real pleasure in stop/start traffic and you might find the journey time is not much different.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The whole battery lease concept put me off considering the Zoe as it suggested to me Renault did not have confidence in its battery technology to sell a car with the batteries aswell. 7 year battery guarantee sounded better. But ask me again in 7 years and I might have changed my mind!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like you OP, I'm in the throws of wanting to get my hands on a Zoe.

I've found a 14 plate zen dynamique demonstrator with 100 miles for under £11,000, or there's the new car purchase option, for about another £4,500 or so.

Two points I would make, and both of them are important reasons to hesitate...

1) The Zoe has dreadful issues with windscreen reflection of the beige dashboard. The models now filling the showrooms will be only black interior trim equipped - and it does make one hell of a difference!

2) The tariff is being revised by Renault at the present time. Mainly due to lack of sales. Very shortly prices will be made public for outright purchase, with the battery. That's never been possible before. Additionally, the lease costs for the battery may be reconsidered too. If you signed a £70 monthly battery lease today and found that the costs then fell, but you were stuck in a 36 month contract - how happy would you be? Similarly, if you agreed to a battery lease full stop, but then found Renault are pricing the car and battery to recover market share, and very competitively - would you not find that you'd be kicking yourself?

https://speakev.com/threads/battery-purchase.4352/
Thanks for the input Qdos.
Both points are very valid have to disagree withe second though. firstly, If i buy the ZOE i will make sure I will go for the black interior! so thanks for the heads up. Done some reading online about it and it looks like a very good point to consider before buying one.

I am not entirely sure about the Battery purchase option. First, I am not sure if it will ever come to light (nothing firm from Renault yet and the sales figures are way better in mainland europe it seems than the UK - which looks like the case for all EV including the more expensive Tesla Model S which is more common in France/Holland and Scandinavian countries) . Second and most important, I am not sure if I will purchase the battery even if this option becomes available .
I d rather change the battery in 4-5 years time if it reaches the end of its life than to pay in advance for one that eventually will loose its performance/or/die and will have to go buy another one?

As the technology behind the E cars gets better, so is the battery's tech. I would like to have the option of upgrading to lets say a better grade or range of batteries later if they come out without having to live with particular battery model just because i bought it out right.
This is going to be a highly competitive market and it seems that NIssan-Renault group along with Tesla , BMW and Volkswagen will ultimately have best experience in the EV-field due to their early start and will will have the best hands-on experience and. So for me, why tie yourself up to what is already a fast pacing race where every aspect of the EV (engine, batteries, dynamics, ..etc) are only going to get better.

Having said all that, i dont think there is a right or wrong answer at this stage with regards to purchase/hire dilemma.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Having said all that, i dont think there is a right or wrong answer at this stage with regards to purchase/hire dilemma.
That's true. There's a lot of crystal ball-gazing, speculation and opinion. I used to calculate the total cost of ownership of my next car choice before changing. Buying outright, I was almost always undone by the depreciation being more than the published forecast (damn you What Car!).

I see a PCP as a rock solid way of limiting my exposure to all the variables – whether that's a PCP on a battery-included car or a PCP plus battery lease, it doesn't make any difference to me – what matters is my total outgoings over the ownership period of the car. Not everyone gets this! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
916 Posts
Thanks for your input EV Rider.

There wont be any charging in-between my daily commute to work, I gather that you think 60 miles a day is not doable in the ZOE during winter time at least? This is crucial for me.

And yes, you are right about the mileage a year and therefore am going for the 12k contract for the battery which I think its going to be enough hopefully.
I do reckon 60 mile range is a perfectly good target for the Zoe..that was a 50 mile (one way) trip last night,(mostly 100kph limit) some faffing around in a town's one way system at the other end,and 10 miles homewards before a charge stop as the 27 or so miles indicated remaining wasn't "Get me home" worthy..I'm not regularly doing road trips,my needs are about 20 miles a day on average..but I find the Zoe so driveable,I'm enjoying days out with it!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Of course , Renault's EV head has said they will make an improved range battery available as an upgrade to leasers, but bearing in mind they "suggested" that they would be selling batteries to uk customers as far back as March 2013, I wouldn't make this a major deciding factor, current flux of the market all favours PCP IMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts