Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Buying advice for 2nd hand Leaf24

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Umpa 
#1 ·
Hello folks,

I'm new here new to this forum, read a lot in past days and weeks, but other than that I'm complete newbie and the little bit of knowledge I have is purely theoretical, so I'd appreciate advice from real life experience.

We are family of four, living in suburb of a 80k city. We basically to run to town (7 miles/12 kms round trip) weekends and myself commute and stuff daily and drop kids to/from school (10 miles/16 kms round trip), then every few weeks out to forest (30 miles/50 kms roundtrip max). I don't count twice a year for airport as it's that's 250 mile roundtrip.

In terms of infrastucture around - the closest L2 charger is about 2 miles/3 kms away, closest Chademo is about 2.5 miles/4 kms away, another Chademo charger is 5 miles/8 kms away. There are other about 8 L1/L2 withn 4 mile/7 kms range. Planning on getting L2 installed at home, but may not work out (old house, old wiring etc). I'm confident I could get L2 installed at my workplace as it's in a business park so it's feasible.

Our budget is about £13.5/€15k. I'm looking at either '15 or '16 Leaf XE optimally with a fast 6.6kw charger. I'm focusing on Leaf 24 as the battery degradation with Leaf 30 seems worse, and also they are cheaper in general.

Currently have two options:
'16 (Nov 16) 24kw Visia with 6.6 kW charger, 12.5k miles ODO, private seller, 2 owners, asking price £12.5k/€14k.TPMS is broken (due to tyre exchange?).
LeafSpy as follows:
Ahr - 60.34
SOH - 92.26%
Hx - 90.32%
SOC - 67.5%
min/avg/max = 3.995 4.004 4.010 (15 mV)
temp C = 24.0 24.1 22.6 (1.5 C)
257 QCs & 209 L1/L2

'15 (mid 15) 24kw Accenta with 3.3 kW charger, 7.2k miles ODO, EV dealer, 1 owner, asking price £11.5k/€12.8k.
LeafSpy as follows:
Ahr - 60.65
SOH - 92%
Hx - 93.12%
SOC - 78.7%
min/avg/max = 4.040 4.049 4.057 (17 mV)
temp C = 16.4 16.5 16.6 (0.2 C)
89 QCs & 109 L1/L2

To me the Ahr looks low for that low miles for both, correct me if I'm wrong. Both have been exposed to many QCs (is that bad?). Should I keep looking at other options?

Also, how can I tell definitely that '15 & '16 has a lizzard battery?

Thanks so much for any advice form the experts! Appreciate your help.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Leaf 24s are still commanding that sort of money....? :eek:
Even as a 24 owner with no real need for the 30, I'd be looking at the 30.
IIRC the battery warranty is longer.
I'd also be looking at Tekna as minimum spec, the extra toys like LED headlights and heated steering wheel are worth it, as is the leather if you have kids.
I don't think I could go back to cloth seats with kids.

OR, if my budget only allowed a lower spec 30 or a Tekna 24, I'd take the Tekna 24.
Basically, I'd go for Tekna regardless of battery. :D

#11 ·
#14 · (Edited)
2011 and still have 12 bars??? I'd have thought it would be down to 10 bars by now!

I'd also avoid Visia spec, it doesn't even have the infortainment screen for CarWings, which means no app remote control.

How important is 6.6kW to you? Is there rapid chargers near your home?
I'm not interested in buying it. I would go so far to say that no one on here is - it was just to illustrate the silly prices they are going for.

#4 ·
I wouldn't go so far as saying get a Tekna, but the Visia has a very stripped-down spec and the lack of heat-pump will really impact on battery life in winter, especially with a 24. I'd go for a 30 over a 25 with 6.6 charger. But look out for people selling Leafs who don't mention that the car has a 6.6kw charger - like the one I just bought!

#6 ·
But look out for people selling Leafs who don't mention that the car has a 6.6kw charger - like the one I just bought!
Really, you're just relying on luck here.
By definition, if they don't know the 6.6KW charger is unusual, then they're not going to mention in their ads. ;)
And it'll seem odd to ask them for a photo of the dash showing charge times, which is by far and away the easiest way to tell.
It's like when I went to buy my Mini, it was advertised as bog standard when the woman had, in fact, thrown eberything out of the Mini catalogue at it.
It was just pure good fortune.

#13 ·
I think it's easy to get fixated on the 6.6 charger, especially if you're new to EVs.
In reality, 3.3 suits most of the people most of the time.
If you're using a rapid charger, then 3.3 or 6.6 becomes irrelevant.
The rest of the time, the longer charging of the 3.3 doesn't matter because most people charge when they sleep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.