Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I currently run an Alpina XD3 as my everyday vehicle. It is an amazing machine but my circumstances have changed - as they have for many people and it is now (I think) time to consider a change.

My travel has dropped considerably so high insurance and 35mpg (now dropping due to less long journeys) together with car tax and servicing costs just mean I'm not using it like I used to and not enjoying it as much.

My usage profile is (and I think will continue to be) a 5 mile each way journey to the office 5 days a week plus supermarket visits, go see my mum and short local trips most of the time. Every 3-4 weeks I visit my daughter who is 80 miles away.

I will make the occasional journey to another offices 200-300 miles away - maybe once every other month.

So, mostly short local journeys but the occasional need for a long journey.

I don't think a full EV would work for me for the long journeys or the visits to my daughter as when I visit her, we might go out for a trip etc and I'm only there for the day so don't want to waste it waiting to charge a car.

I'm thinking a 2nd hand plug in hybrid might work for me, cheap to run during the week but capable of a long journey when needed.

I have a maximum budget of £20k and want 5 doors and 5 seats for when out with the whole family. Would love to spend less of course!

I do like toys in a car so adaptive cruise, blind spot warning, Bluetooth, android auto etc would be ideal. The more toys/tech the better.

There seem to be quite a few choices on the market but I'm led to believe the stated electric range is a bit like MPG in that you don't get anywhere near. I would like to be able to get to work and back plus the shops and visit my old mum at maximum efficiency so 18-20 miles of real electric range would be perfect. Any more is a real bonus. I also want good economy on a long run (40+ mpg) as a minimum and having a bad back, comfort is a must.

So this is where I would love your input and experience. If I simply look at the stats, all the plug in hybrids talk about at least 25 miles electric range and huge MPG but I know this isn't reality.

So, firstly - is a plug in hybrid a sensible option for my profile? and if so, what vehicles fit my requirements in the real world?

Thanks all,

Michael

Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I picked up Outlander PHEV for 2nd car last month. I charge it overnight and it does well driving 2x 10 miles. Mind you this is 2017. 2019 can do 30 electric miles

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Hi all,

I currently run an Alpina XD3 as my everyday vehicle. It is an amazing machine but my circumstances have changed - as they have for many people and it is now (I think) time to consider a change.

My travel has dropped considerably so high insurance and 35mpg (now dropping due to less long journeys) together with car tax and servicing costs just mean I'm not using it like I used to and not enjoying it as much.

My usage profile is (and I think will continue to be) a 5 mile each way journey to the office 5 days a week plus supermarket visits, go see my mum and short local trips most of the time. Every 3-4 weeks I visit my daughter who is 80 miles away.

I will make the occasional journey to another offices 200-300 miles away - maybe once every other month.

I don't think a full EV would work for me for the long journeys or the visits to my daughter as when I visit her, we might go out for a trip etc and I'm only there for the day so don't want to waste it waiting to charge a car.

I'm thinking a 2nd hand plug in hybrid might work for me, cheap to run during the week but capable of a long journey when needed.

I have a maximum budget of £20k and want 5 doors and 5 seats for when out with the whole family. Would love to spend less of course!

I do like toys in a car so adaptive cruise, blind spot warning, Bluetooth, android auto etc would be ideal. The more toys/tech the better.

There seem to be quite a few choices on the market but I'm led to believe the stated electric range is a bit like MPG in that you don't get anywhere near. I would like to be able to get to work and back plus the shops and visit my old mum at maximum efficiency so 18-20 miles of real electric range would be perfect. Any more is a real bonus. I also want good economy on a long run (40+ mpg) as a minimum and having a bad back, comfort is a must.

So this is where I would love your input and experience. If I simply look at the stats, all the plug in hybrids talk about at least 25 miles electric range and huge MPG but I know this isn't reality.

So, firstly - is a plug in hybrid a sensible option for my profile? and if so, what vehicles fit my requirements in the real world?

Thanks all,

Michael

Hi Michael and welcome.
This looks like a fairly big wish list of different things that you may consider hard to find, or come close too satisfying.
On the other hand, there is one car that very quickly springs to mind that could be better suited to your needs !.
It's a VW Golf GTE.
A five door PHEV hybrid with pure electric drive for your short shopping trips etc.
Plus the back up of a ( warm ) five seater hatch back.
You will have to put a bit of time into finding a good second hand example, but they are out there if you look carefully.
Very economical if you keep it charged on a regular basis.
Plenty of tech, to much to go into here, but it does have adaptive cruise control for one !.
Nippy from the lights because of the electric motor, about 205 Bhp when using both electric and fossil fuel combined.
I owned one for over 4 years, before going full electric.
Read some of the reviews, it's a popular choice and very hard to match.
There is a dedicated channel on this very forum for GTE owners.
Check it out.
The Golf GTE was launched around spring 2015 and can be purchased WELL inside of your budget.
Try and get a clean low milage example model after 2016.
A car that has been looked after and has a GOOD service history.
Sorry, I maybe telling you how to suck eggs here ?.
Apple Car Play and Android Auto became standard around this time.
Audi do almost the same car in the A3 called the e.Tron.
Same car, does all the same stuff, but the Golf just looks a bit more sporty to me.
Worth considering I think ?.
P.S. - They hold there value quite well also.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I picked up Outlander PHEV for 2nd car last month. I charge it overnight and it does well driving 2x 10 miles. Mind you this is 2017. 2019 can do 30 electric miles

Yeah - Another great shout if you want a SUV type car !.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Yeah - Another great shout if you want a SUV type car !.
We replaced Zafira so something big was needed. You have Kona and Niro in PHEV models too. BTW did I mention 18k price? Yes mine has Android auto / Apple car play too.

·
Registered
Kona Premium Se - 64k , 2020 model.
349 Posts
There are high mileage EVs to consider. I have a 64k Kona with a range of 250 in winter and some people get over 300 in summer. Don't just consider the purchase price, some EVs keep their price extraordinarily well. One person got a quote of £30 for a year old Kona EV with 30k on the clock. They bought it for £33k. So just £3k depreciation for 30,000 miles is pretty attractive in my book.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies to date.
I think - even with a 250-300 mile range a pure EV isn't right for me just yet (plus I have a max budget of £20k).

The golf GTE sounds really interesting and seems to tick the boxes.

I like the outlander PHEV but am concerned over economy on long journeys. May I ask what range of MPG can be achieved on a long motorway run? If it isn't great then im concerned that any savings during my short commutes will be overturned when the battery is depleted. I do like the idea of 4wd but it is a big heavy car with a biggish petrol engine.

I came across a few Volvo V60 D6 plug ins. On paper looks interesting - high electric range. Diesel for long runs and 4wd for the winter. Seem really cheap too. Anybody got views on these? Would I miss the toys?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I have done some 1500 motorway miles across Europe last week and it gives 30-35 mpg in long distance drive with car loaded

·
Registered
228 Posts
I like the outlander PHEV but am concerned over economy on long journeys. May I ask what range of MPG can be achieved on a long motorway run? If it isn't great then im concerned that any savings during my short commutes will be overturned when the battery is depleted. I do like the idea of 4wd but it is a big heavy car with a biggish petrol engine.
I have acheived 45mpg plus in our 2019 Outlander (driving like my nan of course). Its all relative if you drive like a F1 driver you will suffer for it.I think @Hermit Dave is about right for the average driver.
I too can recommend the Outlander but then i have no experience of any other large PHEV so may be slighty biased.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks all,

Michael

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I have acheived 45mpg plus in our 2019 Outlander (driving like my nan of course). Its all relative if you drive like a F1 driver you will suffer for it.I think @Hermit Dave is about right for the average driver.
I too can recommend the Outlander but then i have no experience of any other large PHEV so may be slighty biased.
Around UK I saw average 50+ mpg but not on European roads doing between 75 and 85 mph real speed.

As long as you can charge it, MPG isn't too bad. Long distance i need to figure out how to use Charge mode better

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I came across a few Volvo V60 D6 plug ins. On paper looks interesting - high electric range. Diesel for long runs and 4wd for the winter. Seem really cheap too. Anybody got views on these? Would I miss the toys?
Get a high spec one - with driver assist package. It's a lovely comfy car, but don't expect volvo estate boot space. I get 26'ish miles from a full charge, but can't tell you what the diesel mpg is like, because of not going anywhere using fossil fuel hardly. Toys work brilliantly, but a full set of park sensors and camera I miss. It's very fast and noisy in power mode, but a bit heavy on steering. I have the D6, but I believe the D5 is a bit quieter. The cream interior is really nice. A £50k car for less than £15k - absolutely stupid depreciation, so possibly your last car if you can get the full spec so don't get toy envy. Still won't stop you thinking about full EVs though !!

·
Registered
228 Posts
@Hermit Dave we took ours to the lakes a good 300 miles each way we did it in two bites B&B in Blackpool then on the next day, one hit on the way home with just wee breaks, i never used public charging and i did average 45- 50 mpg so its not to bad.I find you can use the charge option but it does use more fuel obviously.What i did on the motorway was a combination of charge and when i felt we could regen ie slight incline i used electric and tried to regen seemed to work quite well not ideal but 45-50mpg out of a breeze block aint bad is it.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I currently run an Alpina XD3 as my everyday vehicle.
I came across a few Volvo V60 D6 plug ins. On paper looks interesting - high electric range. Diesel for long runs and 4wd for the winter. Seem really cheap too. Anybody got views on these?
You need to drive one to decide. I tried one after owning an ordinary (non-MSport) 530D (which had replaced a V70D) and nearly came off of the road at the first corner. Forget any ideas of Volvo's sporting pretensions from the '00's, think their wallowy reputation from the '80's. With some 200 BHP in the T6 plus a bit of electric it's not too slow in a straight line (but the slush box slows it down), but the safety features dominate any form of sporting driving (e.g. it tells you off for any overtaking with flashing lights and bongs even if the car it detects is miles away).

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
You need to drive one to decide. I tried one after owning an ordinary (non-MSport) 530D (which had replaced a V70D) and nearly came off of the road at the first corner. Forget any ideas of Volvo's sporting pretensions from the '00's, think their wallowy reputation from the '80's. With some 200 BHP in the T6 plus a bit of electric it's not too slow in a straight line (but the slush box slows it down), but the safety features dominate any form of sporting driving (e.g. it tells you off for any overtaking with flashing lights and bongs even if the car it detects is miles away).
I think you're commenting on the newer petrol V60's possibly ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the advice.

I went to see a Golf GTE, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and a Volvo V60 D6 plug in.

All were really nice and I was spoilt for choice!

in the end, I've bought a 2018 Golf GTE Advance in special deep black. Should be picking it up tomorrow.

My reasoning was the the Volvo was the best on paper - longest range and most economical but it felt old fashioned inside and finding a low mileage one was impossible.

The Mitsubishi (a 5HS) had all the toys and was a good size match for my Alpina XD3 but wouldn't make sense on long journeys at 30-35mpg.

The Golf is obviously smaller than both and only FWD but it only had 18,000 miles on it and felt really sporty and modern. Only downside is being a 2018 (the other 2 were 2016/2017) it is £145 per year car tax. Whereas the other 2 were £0

So there we have it! It is being ceramic coated today in readiness for collection tomorrow.

It does raise a question though. I don't have a charging point (yet). What is the advantage of getting one? It only takes 3.5 hours to fully charge from a 3 pin socket (an hour longer than from a dedicated wall box) which isn't an issue for me. They seem to cost anywhere from £350-£1000 even with the grant. Do I need one?

Is it the same cost to charge from a 3 pin socket? It might take longer but draws less current. Am I right? I have an outdoor socket I can use.

I understand the benefit for a full EV as it would take a very long time to charge but 3.5 hours every night isn't an issue for me.

I look forward to your answers and explanations!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Thanks for all the advice.

I went to see a Golf GTE, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and a Volvo V60 D6 plug in.

All were really nice and I was spoilt for choice!

in the end, I've bought a 2018 Golf GTE Advance in special deep black. Should be picking it up tomorrow.

My reasoning was the the Volvo was the best on paper - longest range and most economical but it felt old fashioned inside and finding a low mileage one was impossible.

The Mitsubishi (a 5HS) had all the toys and was a good size match for my Alpina XD3 but wouldn't make sense on long journeys at 30-35mpg.

The Golf is obviously smaller than both and only FWD but it only had 18,000 miles on it and felt really sporty and modern. Only downside is being a 2018 (the other 2 were 2016/2017) it is £145 per year car tax.

So there we have it! It is being ceramic coated today in readiness for collection tomorrow.

It does raise a question though. I don't have a charging point (yet). What is the advantage of getting one? It only takes 3.5 hours to fully charge from a 3 pin socket (an hour longer than from a dedicated wall box) which isn't an issue for me. They seem to cost anywhere from £350-£1000 even with the grant. Do I need one?

Is it the same cost to charge from a 3 pin socket? It might take longer but draws less current. Am I right? I have an outdoor socket I can use.

I understand the benefit for a full EV as it would take a very long time to charge but 3.5 hours every night isn't an issue for me.

I look forward to your answers and explanations!

Cost of charging depends on your tariff.

I’m with Octopus on Agile tariff and I use IFTTT triggers to charge it when tariff drops below 5.55p / kWh.

A dedicated charge point of safer and would charge the car at 3kW or higher depending upon what car supports.

3 pin EVSE is limited to 2.4kW /10A continuous and if you use long term check that there is no burning / excessive heat at socket connector.

If you want to jump onto Agile let me know. If you signup using link we both get £50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
BTW I use EVSE with Outlander as Leaf30 uses dedicated charge point with OhmeEV cable to smart charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts