Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying an e-Niro this spring, and the dealer is basically giving us two options.

One is to buy a new Type 2 for about £32,500, which includes the discount from the government grant. The other is to buy a 'nearly new' type 3 or 4 for about £35,000, with less than 5,000 miles on the clock.

So that's almost 10% more for the type 3 or 4, even though they're secondhand. As far as I can see, the upgrades you get by moving to type 3 or 4 are pretty trivial: leather seats, electric chair-adjustment, bigger screen, etc. I'm not sure it's worth the extra money. Plus, the warranty would have less time to run.

Has anyone been in this situation and gained any insights? Are there any type 2 owners out there who can reassure me that we wouldn't be losing out by buying a new one? I've never even test-driven one because they didn't have it at the dealership.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,065 Posts
The FE/4/4+ have the heat pump. IMO this is quite important as it should improve heating energy efficiency quite considerably (So greater range). At least in theory anyway. The 2 and 3 don’t have the heat pump. Peter

·
Registered
674 Posts
Strange the higher models dont have this!?
It's only on the 8" Display. The 2 does not have an app and it also doesn't have heated seats. I would go for the 3 or 4 in this case.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Strange the higher models dont have this!?
The higher models have a different (Gen 5 Wide) head unit. It's possible that newer updates for the wide headunit will add Wireless AA or newer models will have it, who knows. For now all we know is they prioritised it on the non-wide Gen 5 head units instead.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
898 Posts
If youre going to go second hand you might as well go a bit older and save £.

A few First Editions on auto trader for 28k with 5+ years warranty left.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Another option is to buy a really new 3 for about £35k ... combination of Kia Deposit Contribution and dealer haggling.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don't forget also that the 2 has a smaller battery and hence shorter range - unless you get the Long Range 2. That price of £32500 is the long range 2 isn't it?

The Long Range 2 lacks a rear air vent (but the normal 2 has one), according to the spec sheet.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,065 Posts
Don't forget also that the 2 has a smaller battery and hence shorter range - unless you get the Long Range 2. That price of £32500 is the long range 2 isn't it?

The Long Range 2 lacks a rear air vent (but the normal 2 has one), according to the spec sheet.
The rear air vent is utterly useless anyway! Peter

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
805 Posts
The rear air vent is utterly useless anyway! Peter
My wife had to sit in the back last week (Ikea!) and she actually was quite content with the air conditioning in the back and the rear vent. If you knew my wife, that actually means it's one of God's gifts bestowed upon man. Or woman for that matter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. It doesn't sound like a massive difference in spec between the models, TBH

·
Registered
106 Posts
3 vs 2 Long Range ... adds power adjustable drivers seat, heated front seats, 10" screen with built in Sat Nav (vs 8 without), UVO app services and other Connected stuff, plus a few trimmy bits. The Sat Nav and heated seats swung it for me - YMMV.

(Yes I know you can use eg Google Maps via your phone on all of them - it's a neat feature that a lot of manufacturers charge more for. But very much second best, IMHO: I have both available on my ICE car and very quickly settled on using the built-in every time).

·
Registered
719 Posts
The 10.5" screen is much better than the 8" one and not just because it's larger. You do get Wireless AA with the smaller screen though... Heated seats are definitely nice in winter and UVO would be a deal breaker for me. Power adjusted driver seat is useless and actually more annoying sometimes, e.g. when trying to move the seat back/forward to clean the driver's mat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The 10.5" screen is much better than the 8" one and not just because it's larger. You do get Wireless AA wit hthe smaller screen though... Heated seats are definitely nice in winter and UVO would be a deal breaker for me. Power adjusted driver seat is useless and actually more annoying sometimes, e.g. when trying to move the seat back/forward to clean the driver's mat.
By the way, TomTom GO is now working on Android Auto (as of a couple of days ago).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts