Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi just wondering if anyone can offer some advice please, I have just bought a bmw i3 Rex and I'm now looking to buy a charging station at my home, looked at the bmw options also contacted Rolec and a couple of sub companies contact me via rolec but when I researched them only been in business and a few months or had changed name or directors always makes me uneasy. So anyone had a charging station fitted at a reasonable price and good quality in the uk
Thanks everyone

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,214 Posts
Hi. Probably the best option is go direct to Rolecs website as they have a list of registered installers. That's how I found mine.

Currently looking to replace it though with something that has timer in so it only allows off peak.

That and the fact my current one has split at the top... :( seems 15 months of daily use was too much. Might be a one off as I've not heard of any other faults but still not good!

I'm thinking ahead and looking for a unit with 2x sockets so it can share power across 2 cars.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
316 Posts
Four weeks ago I had a 7kw PodPoint installed at a cost of £485. The installation was carried out in a professional manner on the day they stated.
My reason for choosing PodPoint was for the three year guarantee.
I would highly recommend them.

·
45 Posts
hi just wondering if anyone can offer some advice please, I have just bought a bmw i3 Rex and I'm now looking to buy a charging station at my home, looked at the bmw options also contacted Rolec and a couple of sub companies contact me via rolec but when I researched them only been in business and a few months or had changed name or directors always makes me uneasy. So anyone had a charging station fitted at a reasonable price and good quality in the uk
Thanks everyone
I too was wondering if a unit with 2x sockets is possible on a domestic installation. If it is, does anyone know if it would be possible to have 2x 7Kw type2 outlets and use them concurrently?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I too was wondering if a unit with 2x sockets is possible on a domestic installation. If it is, does anyone know if it would be possible to have 2x 7Kw type2 outlets and use them concurrently?
Yes, I am going through this process now - more in this thread: Planning Ahead for 2 EV's

·
Registered
675 Posts
Thanks everyone
Many on here have gone with PhoenixWorks, me included - no connection with them, just great service.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It would really depend on how beefy the supply to your house is, and if you have any other large electrical loads, mainly electrically heated shower, electric cooker, or immersion heater. Domestic supply might be 100A if you are lucky, (have a look at the main fuse ) Two 32A chargers of course will be using a lot of that capacity, leaving 36A. Some electric showers use more than that! Got space to put in a wind turbine? :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts