Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I'm a Leaf owner, but I have the chance to buy an Outlander from end-of-lease (actually, my daughter will be buying it).

It is a GX4HS, 31,000 miles, 66 reg - just approaching 4 years old next month. Price is £16,669. Pretty much perfect.

My brother is the current keeper, but doesn't want it for himself. He largely non-techie - are then any tests can be run on the battery? The car is a long way away, so I'm looking for stuff that can be done remotely.

Any ideas?

·
richi.uk
236 Posts
You can read out the BMU's estimate of the battery health, but it usually under-estimates it—and does so by a margin that depends on how it's been driven. More useful is to look at the cell balance after driving the battery down.

The PHEV Watchdog Android app can show you both sets of data. And there are two recommendations for the OBD2 adapter you'll need in this charity list [SWMBO's dog-rescue charity receives a small kickback from link, at no cost to you—reg#1186687]

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can read out the BMU's estimate of the battery health...
Thanks - presumably that's not available on the dash? Not sure non-techie brother would manage with a dongle!

Anyone know what the warranty would have been?

·
richi.uk
236 Posts
No, not designed to be user-available, sorry.

Mitsubishi UK customer service often gets warranty details wrong if you ask. The official details of manufacturer warranty in the UK are below (I guess yours is in the third section):

Registration Date 1 Oct 2012 – 31 Dec 2014
Mechanical: 3 years (unlimited miles)
EV Components: 5 years or 62,500 miles† including traction battery

Registration Date 1 Jan 2015 – 30 June 2015
Mechanical: 5 years or 62,500 miles†
EV Components: 5 years or 62,500 miles† including traction battery

Registration Date 1 July 2015 on
Mechanical: 5 years or 62,500 miles†
EV Components: 5 years or 62,500 miles†
Traction Battery: 8 years or 100,000 miles†

Anti Corrosion Perforation Warranty: 12 years for all model years
†—whichever is sooner
source: Facebook UK PHEV group

·
Registered
Outlander
3,993 Posts
Anti Corrosion Perforation Warranty: 12 years for all model years
What exactly does that mean? Does it mean that the corrosion that does emerge within 12 years will not completely perforate the metal?

·
richi.uk
236 Posts
For an "exact" answer, you'd be better off studying the warranty documents on Mitsubishi UK's website. But in general, it's the same sort of corrosion warranty used by the whole industry.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, always fantastic support on this forum.

Is there any 'rule of thumb' we can use to give an indication of battery health - indicated EV range at full charge ...?

·
Registered
Outlander
3,993 Posts
... in general, it's the same sort of corrosion warranty used by the whole industry.
Meaningless drivel then? :)

I have a stone chip in my bonnet. The surface of the metal has rusted. This example appears to not be covered by the rust warranty because the rust stems from the paint being damaged. How would rust appear on any car without there being some damage first?

·
richi.uk
236 Posts
Is there any 'rule of thumb' we can use to give an indication of battery health - indicated EV range at full charge ...?
Not really, sorry. There's a reason we call it the "guess-o-meter" and also it's affected by the BMU's probably-pessimistic estimate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts