Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone!

Last month I decided to take the plunge and put some money down on a red MG ZS EV Exclusive! It was the first EV I've ever driven and I was thrilled to bits with the test drive and the idea of cutting back my impact on the environment. It's also the first time I've ever bought a new car and by orders of magnitude the most expensive car I've ever purchased.

However, I've been left a little disappointed with the whole purchasing process. On the day of the purchase, a Saturday, there was only a single rep and I had to wait some time for my test drive (despite booking it well in advance). Once I agreed to put pen to paper, I was told their printer was out of order so I wouldn't get an invoice - which wasn't a problem as I was happy with an emailed one anyway. Problem is, that email never arrived, so I had to follow up a few days later to request it.

I was also told I'd receive a follow-up call to check in and let me know more specifically when the car would arrive (I've loosely been told some date in May :( ), but that hasn't happened.

I've sent a couple of emails to the sales rep, one with a signed copy of the invoice (as requested) and another with a very gentle nudge about the follow-up call. No response to either.

None of this by itself is particularly egregious, but combined I'm left feeling I've committed to spending a huge amount of money (to me anyway), with no follow-up or communication from MG.

I'm left wondering if this is as good as it gets during the honeymoon period, what will it be like if I need to make a warranty claim down the line?!

Has anyone else had experiences like this, or how would you describe your buying experience?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yep, change dealer , don't accept that level of incompetence or couldn't care less attitude that is rife with a lot of dealers. It does seem a lot of dealers are pretty clueless about EV cars in general and best finding one that is recommended as being able to offer great service and a modicum of ev knowledge.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Also try some more EVs. Don’t jump at the first car you try.
EVs are so different to ICE that although you have been wowed by the ZS it would be worth comparing to other brands to see if it is genuinely the best car for you.

As you say this is a massive expenditure, spend wisely!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,120 Posts
So seems like you've got a bad dealer or a salesman on his way out. I have to say my experience with my 1st allocated dealer was dreadful, I was an early reservist putting down my £500 online in July. And the dealer that was allocated to me emailed me eventually, never asked for my phone number. cagey when I asked about a free cable, claimed they were the only local EV dealer. I lost faith within a couple of emails so moved to Frasers Edinburgh and the service has been top notch. Not too much contact, just the right amount, friendly, emails where necessary to keep me in the lop, the odd phone, and the opportunity to dump my delivery when I wasn't ready for it. All in all brilliant service. I pick my car up next week.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The dealers are the face of MG in this case but are not MG themselves so it is unfair to ascribe any poor experience to the brand itself. That said, a little nudge to MG if service has been poor is no bad thing. I remember VW sales and service reps practically begging for 5 star reviews or VW would be angry.

My deposit was easy and I was told I would have to wait until March. A little chasing in late Jan revealed I could have a car that week if I was happy with a different colour. I played it cool and managed to scrounge an extra £1k on the trade in value of my car + a free charging cable (they refused to give me one previously). I was also told the deposit would come back to me. I gleefully signed the contract when I picked it up and happily waited for £1500 to be refunded. When it wasn't I needed to get grumpy and pushy. I did get the money back but it has meant that I stopped looking at the service plan.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,627 Posts
I remember going to buy a Peugeot Ion at a Peugeot dealer and when asked the salesman said I dont know where the charge port thingy is but the fuel flap is at the back !! Things have improved since those days, but not by a lot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I chatted a lot to my dealer after buying my car. He said they very nearly only ordered a couple of EVs in as they werent sure if they were going to be a flop. It sounded like they didn’t know much about the special offer as this was handled by MG and then suddenly they were inundated with orders. He was really taken aback by how many people were buying them and orders were coming through. He quizzed me a lot on what it was that made me buy one.

Nearly all the cars I’ve seen in the forecourt have been electric since I picked mine up and it’s nearly always full with car deliveries. Hard to say but could be the dealers are just really busy in comparison to usual and are a bit stretched at the mo.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hi everyone!

Last month I decided to take the plunge and put some money down on a red MG ZS EV Exclusive! It was the first EV I've ever driven and I was thrilled to bits with the test drive and the idea of cutting back my impact on the environment. It's also the first time I've ever bought a new car and by orders of magnitude the most expensive car I've ever purchased.

However, I've been left a little disappointed with the whole purchasing process. On the day of the purchase, a Saturday, there was only a single rep and I had to wait some time for my test drive (despite booking it well in advance). Once I agreed to put pen to paper, I was told their printer was out of order so I wouldn't get an invoice - which wasn't a problem as I was happy with an emailed one anyway. Problem is, that email never arrived, so I had to follow up a few days later to request it.

I was also told I'd receive a follow-up call to check in and let me know more specifically when the car would arrive (I've loosely been told some date in May :( ), but that hasn't happened.

I've sent a couple of emails to the sales rep, one with a signed copy of the invoice (as requested) and another with a very gentle nudge about the follow-up call. No response to either.

None of this by itself is particularly egregious, but combined I'm left feeling I've committed to spending a huge amount of money (to me anyway), with no follow-up or communication from MG.

I'm left wondering if this is as good as it gets during the honeymoon period, what will it be like if I need to make a warranty claim down the line?!

Has anyone else had experiences like this, or how would you describe your buying experience?
After dealing with two different dealerships, I can say my experience was almost the same as yours.
I have forgotten how many return phone calls and promised ( but never received ) e.mails I never had from one dealer !.
Poor, to say the least.
I think a lot of the dealerships have just been over whelmed by the interest in ZS EV.
I think the life of an MG sales person was a fairly peaceful life before the ZS EV came along.
Basically, they are just not geared up for this level of interest / demand for a car that has been available for a couple of years already.
They just don’t get it !.
“What’s going on, they bung a battery and an electric motor in the ZS and NOW everybody wants one”.
From ordering to taking delivery of my car, I received ONE phone call made directly to myself, from the dealer.
This was a short call to say my car had arrived and when would I like to collect it.
All other contact to the dealer was induced by myself.
They take your order, they ring you when it’s arrived, simple !.
When I collected my car, my sales person said he would contact me in a couple of days to see how we are getting on with the car.
That was on the 6th Jan 20.
No further contact received.
Am I bothered ?.
Not really, it’s what I have come to expect from some now, not just MG dealerships either.
These days the one thing you DON’T have to worry about is receiving poor customer service, you will get it as standard sorry !.

·
Registered
29 Posts
got
Don't know where you are but I bought mine from the dealer in Sheffield who has been fine.
Personally I wouldn't put up with that level of service and would cancel and go to another dealer.
mine in Sheff too dealer quite good

·
Journeyman Human
441 Posts
I'll tell you all about my experience with cars2 MG Wakefield later, it'll make your toes curl... Spoiler, it wasn't a good experience!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey everyone! Thanks for sharing your experiences. Glad to hear that most of you have had a better time!

Since reading all your comments I decided to chase up, and would you believe it hasn't been the best experience? Two separate people said they'd get the sales guy to call me back... and he never did! Today, after calling three times, a very helpful lady said apologised and she'd get the guy while I held!

Honestly, I'm not sure why he's been so elusive - He had good news! There's been a cancellation and there's one like I ordered ready to go! ?

All I need to do now is wait for him to send over a final email with the details... gulp!

·
Journeyman Human
441 Posts
I'll tell you all about my experience with Cars2 Wakefield MG later, it'll make your toes curl... Spoiler, it wasn't a good experience!
OK, for those of you who don't read Facebook, here was my dire buying experience.

I now have my Second ZS EV Pimlico Blue Exclusive bought and safely home, so let me tell you the sad tale of trying to buy the first one... Back in early December I agreed to buy a car from Cars2 Wakefield MG. It was a cancelled order and I was offered it at the original £24k with a charging lead thrown in. So far, so good. Moving forward to early Feb, I get a call to tell me the car will be ready within a few days, so around the 2nd week of Feb. On calling back, I advised due to it being just a couple of weeks extra, that I'd like to pick up on March 2nd and have the new 20 plate. The abrupt response to this was it has to be registered in February as MG are insisting on this. (clearly a lie as many buyers at other dealers were having no issues with this!) But not to worry sir, if you won't comply we'll just cancel the order and keep your £500 deposit. Needless to say, I blew my stack and escalated to a manager, who advised they would have to check with MG's regional representative if an exception could be made or some such rubbish. I countered with a threat to claim my refund via Visa's fraud protection and it was generally a thoroughly foul call.

Anyway, they eventually relented and agreed to allow the March pick up. Despite being very upset by this, I chalked it up to a bad day or whatever, after all I wouldn't ever have to see them again after pick up as I'm using my local dealer for any ongoing service needs.

But it then got worse... Pick up comes along and I inspect the car prior to sitting down and signing and paying for it all. Then it was driven out of the showroom ready to go and whilst the salesman went to enquire after floor mats for me (which they wanted to sell me for 10% more than MG's advertised price by the way!!) with horror, I spotted the damage I'd missed earlier... :(

A large chunk of paint missing along with matching dent to the tailgate just below the glass. Also a large gouge in the paintwork on the corner of the rear bumper about 20mm square! There can be only two reasons a car can be presented like this, either the Pre Delivery Inspection was done by an incompetent idiot and the damage missed, or they were well aware of the damage and thought they'd try and pass it off hoping it wouldn't be noticed until off the premises, at which point, of course, be no way to prove when it happened...

At this point I told them I was rejecting the car and to undo the deal. This initially wasn't accepted and the Salesman tootles off to talk to a manager who then comes over and patronisingly tells me they want to keep me happy so here are my two options now that ownership has been transferred to me and it's my car. Either they send a smart repair guy to my house, or it goes through their body shop!!! I not so politely advised them neither of these options would be happening on any brand new car of mine and informed them of the other two options that they'd missed, you get me another perfect car in short order, or refund my money and I leave...

No other cars available for a month at least was the answer, so I again advised them I was rejecting the car and got the details of the finance director who was in a meeting, so couldn't talk until later, and walked out. An e-mail and referral on to a managing director later, and late the next morning, he calls me. All apologetic and smooth, letting me know they've found me another car and all will be well!! His tone changed when I advised I wanted a full refund immediately and compensation for time wasted!!

And that was it! All throughout the experience, all the staff were all smarm and smiles, (and for some reason, really, really, bad suits!) but it's obvious there is no real care or empathy there at all, and it would seem passive aggression bubbling just under the surface ready to come out at any moment if you question their BS or as soon as they can't bully you in to keeping in line to suit them. I'd say they are a very ruthless set up designed to maximise profit and number throughput at all costs. I suspect any after sales service would be dire.

So what should have been a fun and happy occurrence was turned into an obnoxious trial by this dealer. Your experience may differ, but at the very least, I'd advise you exercise extreme caution if you decide to deal with Cars2 Wakefield MG.

There was a happy ending though. I bought a car from the Cambridge MG dealer, a 7 week old demonstrator with just over 1100 mile. I picked it up Friday, all went well and the staff at Cambridge seem genuine, warm, and friendly. The car was perfectly presented and is lovely ;)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Quite probably won't be shopping with them for a car, nor for anything else.

Great to hear that your second buying experience was somewhat of an improvement.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have to admit that car buying is full of more fob-offs that any other retail industry, save for house buying. I have had shocking experiences with Motorpoint and more recently VW. I bought a Passat R-Line and come pick up day I received a call saying that someone had broken into the site overnight and keyed some cars, one of which was mine. It would go to the body shop and be a couple of days late. I went along with it and received the car with a huge nail in the tyre which they refused to accept responsibility for and cost me £170. Never went back there again.

Another VW dealer was servicing the divorce wagon I was rocking after the Passat. Took it in for an odd noise which, with no test driving, they put down to brakes and charged me a princely £250 for the pleasure. Prior to this I had asked about an Arteon so was being bombarded by calls from salesmen who reminded me of Swiss Tony on an almost daily basis. After the odd noise culminated in a catastrophic clutch failure and a bill for £1k, including the recovery of the car, I discovered that the entire wheel replacement kit was missing and they couldn't get the wheels off. Luckily they dealt with the clutch but I did need to carry out some judicious nasty discussion with the dealership to get them to admit they had failed to put it back in the car after checking the spare wheel. Not long after I received a call from Swiss Tony asking if I wanted that Arteon. I told him to stick it up his fundamental orifice and he couldn't have got me off the phone quicker if he had just put it down.

We should be able to trust people but, unfortunately, the entire motor industry is designed to mug us off.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have to admit that car buying is full of more fob-offs that any other retail industry...We should be able to trust people but, unfortunately, the entire motor industry is designed to mug us off.
It is odd. My experience with dealers is dire.

Honda: "We've stopped doing electric cars, as they've proved useless so everyone is abandoning them"

VW: "They're in a meeting, so I can't find anyone to talk to you. I'll take your phone number and someone will call you back" They never did.

Toyota: "Prius Plug-in? They're just changing the model. Range - it will lower than the old one. Was it you came in the Leaf - Mmm, I can see why you'd want to get rid of that"

Nissan: "I'll take your telephone number and call you back" They never did. Recently sent me a text message "contact us, we have a special deal for you" - they didn't know why I'd been sent it.

Kia: "Optima Estate PHEV - I haven't seen on yet sir, leave your phone number and we'll call you back" Later "I've got that Optima in you were looking for, would you like to test drive it?". Well done Kia.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It is the "Field of Dreams" mentality, I see it everywhere in my job these days.

However, buyers are becoming increasingly intolerant of money for old rope and slick patter. We want service, promises fulfilled and not be treated like idiots. Car service managers must have to prove their ability to condescend in order to get the job. I think that dealerships, in their current form, will cease to exist in the not too distant future. Like everything else, cars will be ordered online and delivered the next day, Amazon Prime style. Want a test drive, no problem, we will come to you. Need a service, no worries, we will collect and return. Whilst these services do exist in some form now I think the first major retailer to crack the idea will have it made.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts