Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, based in UK. possibly purchasing a 67 play GTE today with 29Kmls. Just wondering what are the things I should look out for?? Will there be any recalls? Common issues?

also the warranty expires in 3 months. Can I and should I get a pre-expiration check done on the car before this happens? Does VW even offer that? And how much is it to extend the warranty?

finally, software versions. Obviously ECU software gets updated all the time, how can I find out what the latest version is? If it is outdated I may ask VW to update as I’ve heard there have been updates which positively affect battery life and also heard older ones may have software that can cause major issues with loss of power.

Any other advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,861 Posts
Get the warranty extended... I did drive my GTE without one for a year and no issues. But the advice around here is "don't drive, such cars outside of warranty". Repairs are expensive (if you have any issues). The car is amazing technologically, but way more complex than a normal ICE, so if anything breaks...

My 2c, get information of what recalls the car has, and if any are outstanding. There is major recall, that ultimately can result in cracking open the battery and even replacement.

The rest is a normal car, drive like normal and enjoy the "Get There Early" button! ;)

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,027 Posts
Hi all, based in UK. possibly purchasing a 67 play GTE today with 29Kmls. Just wondering what are the things I should look out for?? Will there be any recalls? Common issues?

also the warranty expires in 3 months. Can I and should I get a pre-expiration check done on the car before this happens? Does VW even offer that? And how much is it to extend the warranty?

finally, software versions. Obviously ECU software gets updated all the time, how can I find out what the latest version is? If it is outdated I may ask VW to update as I’ve heard there have been updates which positively affect battery life and also heard older ones may have software that can cause major issues with loss of power.

Any other advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
You can check with the VW UK web site or helpline if there are any outstanding recalls as soon as you know the vehicle registration. They would cover software updates too.

DEFINITELY buy an extension of the warranty. It only costs about £250 per year since there's an 8 year warranty on the battery. It is a very complicated car.

Has it got a full service history?

Be very careful for the first few days until you get used to the instant power delivery and the quiet. It's dead easy to exceed speed limits and I nearly ended up in the garden across the road the first time I reversed uphill out of our drive.

Then enjoy!! It's a great car!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks @Todor and @TomH

Will definitely look into the extended warranty. I couldn't find a VW site which details recalls? Might have missed it. I looked on the gov site and it doesn't say there is any but will get in contact with VW

Full VW Service History, serviced 1000mls ago give/take.

Don't think I will have to worry about speed limits and getting used to the delivery, had an i3 before but as I'm now coming from a 360HP 3.0L Twin Turbo Z4 its more of a huge drop in power haha

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,501 Posts
They are good cars but get a warranty and be prepared for the DSG oil change and timing belt change costs.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,501 Posts
If you read the various threads it appears £400 each and 4 years or 50,000 miles and 10 years or 100,000 miles respectively. Perhaps if you are buying from a VW dealer they could throw the oil change in now?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,836 Posts
On my GTE, DSG oil changes were every 40k miles, added about £250 to the cost, but it’s slightly more involved than a standard DSG box.

Cambelt was due at 100k miles, and although I sold mine before it became due, it was quite pricey.

·
Premium Member
7,836 Posts
I loved my GTE, but I did read horror stories about how expensive they are to fix if they go wrong.
I was always worried about that with mine, especially when it reached 3 years old, and although I could extend the warranty fairly cheaply with VW it did have a 100k limit. One of the reasons I sold it as it was approaching 5 years and 100k.

That said, it was a reliable car all told, had a small DSG oil leak at 18k miles that was fixed under warranty, and a software wobble or two that always cleared itself. The 12v battery needed replacement at 2 years old, but apart from that it was just regular servicing.

That last part is a factor though, if you’re a higher mileage driver, it does require frequent servicing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
On my GTE, DSG oil changes were every 40k miles, added about £250 to the cost, but it’s slightly more involved than a standard DSG box.

Cambelt was due at 100k miles, and although I sold mine before it became due, it was quite pricey.
What is move involved that the standard 1.4 tsi DSG oil change?

I'm sat here reading the method from erWin and the Thatcham method but can't see anything different to any other DSG. I'm going to replace the filter for completeness but I can't see anything else anymore involved that usual.

I'm not doubting you I'm just checking I'm not missing something that makes the GTE DSG oil charge more involved?

·
Premium Member
7,836 Posts
What is move involved that the standard 1.4 tsi DSG oil change?

I'm sat here reading the method from erWin and the Thatcham method but can't see anything different to any other DSG. I'm going to replace the filter for completeness but I can't see anything else anymore involved that usual.

I'm not doubting you I'm just checking I'm not missing something that makes the GTE DSG oil charge more involved?
Does it list the DQ400E DSG box on erWin?

There is no user changeable filter, and access is a pain on the GTE, so the labour is higher I believe.

There’s a member on here who did a video of the access, or lack of, it can only be accessed by dropping the gearbox, which obviously you’d only do for some other reason.

I googled pictures of the DQ400E and saw pictures with an easily accessible filter on top next to the orange HV wires, but definitely not like that on the Golf GTE.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Does it list the DQ400E DSG box on erWin?

There is no user changeable filter, and access is a pain on the GTE, so the labour is higher I believe.

There’s a member on here who did a video of the access, or lack of, it can only be accessed by dropping the gearbox, which obviously you’d only do for some other reason.

I googled pictures of the DQ400E and saw pictures with an easily accessible filter on top next to the orange HV wires, but definitely not like that on the Golf GTE.
I haven't actually done the DSG oil change yet just bought everything in anticipation. TPS certainly list and have sold me a filter and seal.

This is a screenshot of the erWin method for the hybrid gearbox filter change:

As you can see at the top of each page is is specific to the "hybrid" vehicle.

It does state it only needs doing under certain circumstances but definitely shows one.

We're currently in the middle of changing the timing belt as we speak (the advantages of being manager at a VW bodyshop and having a high voltage level 3 qualified MET technician as a friend), DSG oil will probably be a job for 1 night next week

·
Registered
104 Posts
@Tooks I think you are right. Just had a good look at the box. I would imagine a filter is present somewhere but access is very much impaired. I understand why it only needs to be changed under certain circumstances now!

I guess that'll be going back to TPS unless I can find a way to access it!

·
Premium Member
7,836 Posts
@Tooks I think you are right. Just had a good look at the box. I would imagine a filter is present somewhere but access is very much impaired. I understand why it only needs to be changed under certain circumstances now!

I guess that'll be going back to TPS unless I can find a way to access it!
In the wider thread I linked to, I think there might be a difference between the box/filter position on the Passat GTE versus the Golf GTE.

All down to packaging no doubt, is the Passat engine still fitted longitudinally?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Robb, perhaps you can confirm the true service interval for the cambelt?

I am led to believe that it is LIFETIME on the GTEs as they have a petrol engine and in a non-high-dust environment they meet all other requirements to never need a cambelt change over the life of the engine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
@tom66 Yes I will confirm later this evening when I get chance to remote desktop to the work methods and take some screen shots. I'll make a new topic though for easy future reference and to avoid hijacking this poor original posters topic any further!

Just for reference anyone who asks about the gearbox filter on the GTE in future.

Only under these circumstances does the filter need to be charged:
1. Coolant got into the gear oil

2. Metal particles have been found in the oil

3. The clutch is burnt off mechanical defect.

4. The gearbox is removed

1 - 18 of 18 Posts