Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I have had my 2011 for 3 yrs and as far as i am concerned it has cost me absolutely zero. Its worth more than i paid for it, I charge it from my PV and there is no maintenance except top up the 12V batt, and usual tyres and wipers but not brakes as you dont use them hardly.

One of the models(C-zero ?)after a certain date only has a 14kwh batt. On the 16 kwh versions, as my P-Ion is, it is possible to get 5mls/kwh ie 80mls, with urban/rural driving in summer no heat. BUT you cannot drive like most average racer types as then you will be down to 65mls. Motorways at 60mph (no wind,no heater) you should get 65mls but at 70mph you will be down to 45/50mls. Then knock off 10% for winter (reduced performance of batts) and say 10% for heater use if permanently on. Range is all in the right foot with 100mls poss at a steady 30mph in summer no heater.

Has a very small turning circle and can carry more than outside appearances suggest. I also have a E-Golf for longer journeys and an estate car for the heavy difficult stuff which most people perhaps have a trailer for. Around town my wife and I both prefer the Ion. Horses for courses.
Does no maintenance include neglecting the pollen filter.?

I'm changing mine every 6 months at £10 per change because the filter is tiny, the activated charcoal keeps the car fresh and most importantly, the pollen filter stops cr#p being blown across the traction cells when it's being cooled.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I suspect if you want a balanced view you might be better posting in the General Forum as I'm sure some would recommend the Leaf.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I suspect if you want a balanced view you might be better posting in the General Forum as I'm sure some would recommend the Leaf.

Yeah, that would have been a good Idea. I guess I mainly wanted to get feedback specifically from people who have either an iMiev/clone or a Leaf. So instead, I posted the same initial question in here and in the Leaf forum (and got some interesting arguments for the Leaf).

In the end, I bought an iMiev clone (a Peugeot Ion). I found a good price, and I really like it. For me it's just a local car, so the lower range isn't much of a concern. It's like having an ICE car with a 10 litre tank, but having a petrol pump at home.

I'm pretty sure I can have individual bad battery cells swapped out, and I really chimed with the comparison to a 2CV. I really prefer 'basic' cars, so this one fits the bill.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts