Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Vendor
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just had a notification through from Nissan to say that customers are now able to buy themselves out of the battery rental on a Flex agreement, and terminate the lease agreement.

If a customer decides they wish to purchase the battery they will need to visit a Nissan dealership, and provide the VIN number.
The dealership will then fill out an online enquiry form to check ownership/eligibility.
The cost of the battery is based on a sliding scale based on the battery age.
Once completed, the form will confirm the cost of the battery.
If the customer wishes to progress with the purchase, the cost of the battery purchase is to be paid directly to the dealership.
The original V5 needs to be posted back to Nissan HQ by the dealer.
Nissan will then arrange for the V5 to be amended by DVLA, in a process which is likely to take around 4 weeks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nissan had to intervene. They would have created a situation where you couldn't give away and older car in time.

It would make an awful pr problem for them.

" perfect cars written off due to Nissan greed".

"You can't give away an electric car"

"How green are EVs if they have to be binned after 8 years"

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Nissan had to intervene. They would have created a situation where you couldn't give away and older car in time.

It would make an awful pr problem for them.

" perfect cars written off due to Nissan greed".

"You can't give away an electric car"

"How green are EVs if they have to be binned after 8 years"
Renault seem quite happy to cube their battery lease cars.

Fluences going to the scrapyard?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Considering they allow for a 10% per annum devaluation then they should stick to this although there may be a charge for change of ownership. No doubt they won't be worse off. It will be interesting to see how much the administration charge will be. And whether buying a non flex leaf is cheaper or more expensive than than converting a flex leaf?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
What sort of warranty is offered with the Flex battery purchase? Is there any capacity guarantee too?

·
Registered
949 Posts
excellent news, good or bad, its always better to have the option to buy it, although I imagine there will be a lot of people unhappy when they realise it's dropped its original capacity!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thank you, Miles Roberts, for starting this very helpful thread.

I have just bought out my battery lease. After 3 years cost was £3,384.12 (incl VAT). That corresponds closely with the original cost of the battery reduced by 10% a year.
So assuming you were paying £70 per month for three years you payed £2520+ £3384= £5904 for said battery..
So my question is what was the full cost of the car now if you add the total and is this more or less than what a none flex would have cost 3 years ago on a new car?
Also working out the current price of your car non flex and flex based on auto trader prices is this more expensive than buying a non flex leaf with similar age and milage to your current car?

·
Registered
949 Posts
I wonder how much Nissan pay if a flex is in the showroom, I imagine they get a nice discount to be able to shift flex cars as the battery owned?

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
So assuming you were paying £70 per month for three years you payed £2520+ £3384= £5904 for said battery.

I do believe the additional cost of buying the car with the battery new was £5000 including VAT.
£70 per month lease buys you hardly any miles at all. About 6000 per annum I think.

The 15000 miles per year I drive would cost probably double that £70 per month.
£140 x 36 = £5040

Buying that battery at three years of age for £3384 is a very expensive way of doing things.
You'll have paid £8424 just for the battery.

I only paid £13894 for my Leaf Tekna at a few months old.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Buying that battery at three years of age for £3384 is a very expensive way of doing things.
I accept it was more expensive to buy the battery at 3 years old than the £5,000 it would have cost at the time of purchase - but nothing like the £8,424 quoted by Spirit Driver. My calculation is around £6,000 (i.e. £1,000 extra). I intend to keep the car longer so the extra cost will be reduced by the extra rental payments saved. If I keep it a further two years I will have saved a further £1,680. When I come to sell I will be able to sell a car with a battery, and avoid difficulties reported by those trying to sell older Leafs with a battery lease. On balance I think the purchase was worthwhile, but time will tell.

Of course it would have been better to have bought the battery with the Leaf originally - but having failed to do so I think the battery purchase goes some way to correcting the situation.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,018 Posts
The advantage being that at 3 year point you can retrospectively ask yourself if you have a 'good' battery or a 'Friday-afternooner'.

Given the option of a lower purchase price and 3 years of rental, followed by the option to buy, would seem like a good option.

PS - Are the batteries rented, not leased? I think you might find the battery agreement says 'rental' on it. I believe the legal difference is that a lease conveys legal ownership for the contract period while a rental does not.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I wonder if the battery can just be returned and a replacement battery fitted. Average price for a complete leaf battery seems to be about £2500....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
699 Posts
I do believe the additional cost of buying the car with the battery new was £5000 including VAT.
£70 per month lease buys you hardly any miles at all. About 6000 per annum I think.

The 15000 miles per year I drive would cost probably double that £70 per month.
£140 x 36 = £5040

I only paid £13894 for my Leaf Tekna at a few months old.
The access mileage charge on the battery is only £0.08p per 100 miles so cheaper to do that you only pay 8p per mile.
on the pcp for the car and there is no point in buying out the flex on a pcp car your going to hand back.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I wonder if the battery can just be returned and a replacement battery fitted. Average price for a complete leaf battery seems to be about £2500....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Is that fitted. I don't see why not as u can return them before lease is up for a penalty of course so it's probably best to convert your own pack

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
About this Discussion
98 Replies
45 Participants
Kingpleb1
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing