Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Owning the battery of a Leaf within the warranty period makes sense..... the warranty is your protection. Buying out the lease makes selling your Leaf much easier at the end of the lease. The interesting issue will be the value of your Leaf once the warranty expires!

·
http://ts.la/david3488
702 Posts
very annoying, i just walked away from my leaf as it was Flex, I would have bought it if i could have.
Oh well

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just rung RCI and was advised that only dealers can buy leaf out of flex. Has any private individuals bought out their leaf lease?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just rung RCI and was advised that only dealers can buy leaf out of flex. Has any private individuals bought out their leaf lease?
Yes, I have bought out my Leaf battery lease. The payment has to be made to a Nissan dealer - which is what I think RCI's advice in the quote above means.

Have been slightly frustrated by the time frame involved. I paid the dealership for the battery lease on 5th October. RCI insisted that they should still take the battery rent on 18th October, and initially still wanted it today (18th November). I received the amended V5 from DVLA earler in November (dated 3rd November showing that the Leaf was no longer a FLex).

However I am now delighted that RCI have now confirmed that the agreement will be ended on 5th October (the date I paid the Nissan dealership) and that they will refund the October battery rent. I am not sure why it takes so long - but it seems all's well that ends well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, I have bought out my Leaf battery lease. The payment has to be made to a Nissan dealer - which is what I think RCI's advice in the quote above means.

Have been slightly frustrated by the time frame involved. I paid the dealership for the battery lease on 5th October. RCI insisted that they should still take the battery rent on 18th October, and initially still wanted it today (18th November). I received the amended V5 from DVLA earler in November (dated 3rd November showing that the Leaf was no longer a FLex).

However I am now delighted that RCI have now confirmed that the agreement will be ended on 5th October (the date I paid the Nissan dealership) and that they will refund the October battery rent. I am not sure why it takes so long - but it seems all's well that ends well.
Thanks for that wanted clarification as had won a 63 reg flex for £4.5k on fleabay. Unfortunately the seller has now backed out as I wouldn't pay deposit in advance of dashboard charge picture.

Very scary amount of depreciation on the leaf especially the flex models

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
That one might have been a scam since the seller wouldn't provide a photo. - Flex cars have a battery warranty after all. (Yeah I know 3 bars down.... )

If I was selling a car privately and the buyer asked for a photo of the dash, I'd run out to the car and take the photo....

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have just had a notification through from Nissan to say that customers are now able to buy themselves out of the battery rental on a Flex agreement, and terminate the lease agreement.

If a customer decides they wish to purchase the battery they will need to visit a Nissan dealership, and provide the VIN number.
The dealership will then fill out an online enquiry form to check ownership/eligibility.
The cost of the battery is based on a sliding scale based on the battery age.
Once completed, the form will confirm the cost of the battery.
If the customer wishes to progress with the purchase, the cost of the battery purchase is to be paid directly to the dealership.
The original V5 needs to be posted back to Nissan HQ by the dealer.
Nissan will then arrange for the V5 to be amended by DVLA, in a process which is likely to take around 4 weeks.
Hi thanks for the good news! in italy Today is not possibile to do that for the moment. don' t you know if also in italy it will be possible to buy the flex Battery? thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
For what it's worth I bought a leaf today from a Nissan dealer and the salesman told me it was an ex-flex and they bought it off flex. He suggested it was difficult to sell a second hand flex leaf.

·
Registered
571 Posts
There is another way. Not that anyone could recommend this of course.

If your car is written off your insurer will settle RCI and you can then keep the salvage as a category D (definitions in the process of changing) offset against your settlement payment.

Any minor scratch should do it.

(note i say this mostly in jest).

Serious question: if i was to sell my leaf to a scrapyard what would happen and how would i ensure my lease payments had finished?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have just had a notification through from Nissan to say that customers are now able to buy themselves out of the battery rental on a Flex agreement, and terminate the lease agreement.

If a customer decides they wish to purchase the battery they will need to visit a Nissan dealership, and provide the VIN number.
The dealership will then fill out an online enquiry form to check ownership/eligibility.
The cost of the battery is based on a sliding scale based on the battery age.
Once completed, the form will confirm the cost of the battery.
If the customer wishes to progress with the purchase, the cost of the battery purchase is to be paid directly to the dealership.
The original V5 needs to be posted back to Nissan HQ by the dealer.
Nissan will then arrange for the V5 to be amended by DVLA, in a process which is likely to take around 4 weeks.

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
Serious question: if i was to sell my leaf to a scrapyard what would happen and how would i ensure my lease payments had finished?
With a Renault, you have to inform RCI then pay a dealer to remove the battery before selling the shell to a scrapyard. The battery pack goes back to Renault.

Nissan might be the same.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Personally there is no way we would buy a used EV with a leased battery as the lease costs are not much less then what we spend to fill up most months. Maybe in anther few years Leafs will have lost enough value to make them a good option for low millage usage.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Personally there is no way we would buy a used EV with a leased battery as the lease costs are not much less then what we spend to fill up most months. Maybe in anther few years Leafs will have lost enough value to make them a good option for low millage usage.
Agreed, the battery lease amount remains fixed even though the car depreciates and thus the lease payments become a larger percentage of the value of the car. It might make totally sense leasing the battery on a 2 or 3 year PCP deal for a new car but totally doesn't make sense on a used Leaf when buying outright.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wonder if the battery can just be returned and a replacement battery fitted. Average price for a complete leaf battery seems to be about £2500....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Hi Mike,

Is that a price from yourself?

Just dropped another health bar (9 left), and looking at options!

I can remove the battery pretty easily.

Cheers
Will

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does anyone know what happens to the manufacturers warranty on the battery if was rented? Im in the middle of doing a deal on a 2015 Tekna and as he was doing the paperwork he said not to worry about it saying flex as he said they have bought the battery back so I will own it. Just need to make sure that the battery is covered by the 5 year warranty the same as if it had been purchased at the same time as the car. If not I don't want it. Im buying the car from Nissan West Way and Im going in the morning to sign the paperwork.

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think the battery is warranted by Nissan for 5 years whoever owns it so I would be very surprised if the battery warranty didn't continue. I have always assumed my battery (which I bought out) still has the 5 year warranty.

I suppose only Nissan can confirm this 100% - I should give them a call.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,700 Posts
If you have a battery-owned, can you sell Nissan your battery and start renting it?

:D

41 - 60 of 99 Posts