Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
After an extended test drive, which was brilliant. It is not brilliant trying to buy a used Leaf from the main dealer...

Most cars for sale are FLEX :( So after the three years PCP the best thing to do is return the car as who wants to pay a battery rental for ever... Might suit Nissan though...

There is a chance I might want to keep the Leaf after three years so clearly don't want FLEX. I'd like the choice at that time...

It gets odd/confusing/strange as GAP does not cover the battery, I have to insure it. So if the FLEX price of the car is £8250, the real value [non-FLEX price according to the dealer] is £11,300.

So why not just change it to battery owned and sell it for £11,300!?

Argh, the search continues...

·
Vendor
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
After an extended test drive, which was brilliant. It is not brilliant trying to buy a used Leaf from the main dealer...

Most cars for sale are FLEX :( So after the three years PCP the best thing to do is return the car as who wants to pay a battery rental for ever... Might suit Nissan though...

There is a chance I might want to keep the Leaf after three years so clearly don't want FLEX. I'd like the choice at that time...

It gets odd/confusing/strange as GAP does not cover the battery, I have to insure it. So if the FLEX price of the car is £8250, the real value [non-FLEX price according to the dealer] is £11,300.

Argh, the search continues...
www.chorleygroup.co.uk

We've got quite a few LEAF in stock. And not a single FLEX amongst them!

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Sadly 200+ miles away. Cheers
I "bought" (3 year PCP) a used Leaf 24 from Chorley's Blackpool branch in the summer, which is about 185 miles away. The drive home was the first time I had driven an EV. A couple of hundred miles as a one off adventure is really not that bad!

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
I bought my first Leaf from Glasgow and so my first EV journey was 315 miles. If I'd known then the the Electric Highway was anything but reliable I doubt I'd have chanced it. Ah, the naivety ...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Our closest dealer seems only to sell a Flex Leaf after buying out the battery lease - a good policy perhaps?

On the other hand, Western Nissan do sell Flex cars (which is fine), but seem sometimes to forget to clearly label this (frustrating). I just spoke to them on the phone, and confirmed that their three cheapest Leafs are currently all flex models (only one was clearly labelled as such), which they apologised about. Hopefully that will be fixed shortly.

They did make the interesting point that flex is attractive if you're only planning to lease the car for three years on PCP, and then give it back - the monthly battery fees and lower payments can save you money overall. I hadn't seriously considered this approach until now.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Our closest dealer seems only to sell a Flex Leaf after buying out the battery lease - a good policy perhaps?

On the other hand, Western Nissan do sell Flex cars (which is fine), but seem sometimes to forget to clearly label this (frustrating). I just spoke to them on the phone, and confirmed that their three cheapest Leafs are currently all flex models (only one was clearly labelled as such), which they apologised about. Hopefully that will be fixed shortly.

They did make the interesting point that flex is attractive if you're only planning to lease the car for three years on PCP, and then give it back - the monthly battery fees and lower payments can save you money overall. I hadn't seriously considered this approach until now.
We must be looking at the same Leafs/Dealer :)

I'm not totally against Flex it just bothers me that no matter what the car is returned in three years. Never purchased a car before knowing exactly when it's end of life is... This on top of how much mileage I might do. Yes I can look at old MOTs etc but who knows what the future holds...

If it was not for the fact that my 59 plate car is 1 month to new for the switch scheme I would have done the deal this week.

Just going to see what offers, if any, Jan brings.

Worst case scenario I just soldier on with current car.

Cheers

Colin

·
Registered
571 Posts
Flex suits me quite well. Cheaper car (owned, no finance) and still flex plus electric plus charging out & about is less than I used to pay on diesel.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Wonder what happens when it becomes too difficult for nissan to replace a 24kwh pack... Do you get an upgrade to 30kwh or 40kwh even or a refund of money owed so you can then go buy a used one and get it fitted maybe?

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
Wonder what happens when it becomes too difficult for nissan to replace a 24kwh pack... Do you get an upgrade to 30kwh or 40kwh even or a refund of money owed so you can then go buy a used one and get it fitted maybe?
Nissan / RCI will probably stop renewing battery rental contracts when they get low on 24kWh spares.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Nissan / RCI will probably stop renewing battery rental contracts when they get low on 24kWh spares.
Isn't there a law about availability of spares?
I'm sure it's something along the lines of a manufacturer having to keep making spares for a minimum of 10 years after the model has stopped production.
So it could be a long time before they're 'allowed' to get low on spares.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,700 Posts
Isn't there a law about availability of spares?
Not in the UK, and there damned well should be.

Only in the US where it is mandated to have spares for emissions control related systems for 10 or 15 years, dependent on the State. (AFAIK)

Built-in obsolescence has not yet hit the automotive sector, but it would be perfectly conceivable and quite lawful for a manufacturer to release a car when the software shuts down after 5 years and there is no possibility of resurrecting it. This would then have to hinge on a court deciding that this was not 'typical' for the product in question. Obviously, you can see where that goes; first are cars that shut down after 20 years 'for safety reasons' (age of components?), then reduced incrementally as people become 'normalised' to that.

They could even quite lawfully build a component with a 'typical' life of 5 years that the car depends on, then close down new spare supply for it. Customers would then have to rely on some other company coming along to offer an alternative replacement. The manufacturers could then kill that by changing the design of the part every few 10,000s of cars, thus making it cost-ineffective for anyone to reverse-engineer the part.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Planned obsolescence has hit the car industry, they've been doing it for years.
They give you face-lift models, new-and-improved models.
They make changes that make the previous one extremely undesirable.
Who wants a used Gen-1 Leaf with its horrible handbrake now....?
It's a version of planned obsolescence.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Planned obsolescence has hit the car industry, they've been doing it for years.
They give you face-lift models, new-and-improved models.
They make changes that make the previous one extremely undesirable.
Who wants a used Gen-1 Leaf with its horrible handbrake now....?
It's a version of planned obsolescence.
Now they want a leaf 2.0 with the horrible handbrake :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Speaking of horrible handbrakes.... What ever happened to the totally reliable, perfectly positioned and easy to use lever that we all got so used to when we started driving? It's soooo frustrating! I use the handbrake every time I stop, so the "old fashioned" one is perfect.

Anyway... What I want to know is... Where do you get your hands on a Leaf battery for £2500???

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Has anyone confirmed the pricing.
is it 10% aka 1/10th per year
or 10% recorring.
Also is it £4,800 less 10% a year. or £5000?
Im looking at a 13Y flex.
so that would be 3000 to 2400 depending on actual age?

61 - 80 of 99 Posts