Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
I bought an ex-demo Leaf in 2015 from a dealer. When I bought my Tesla, I sold the Leaf to a family member. At the time, I went round in circles trying to buy the battery. I spoke to a local dealer* about buying the battery and they told me I had to speak to RCI. RCI told me I had to speak to the dealer. I didn't get anywhere and it went off my radar - I've just continued to pay for the battery.
However, I've just had a letter from Nissan about the primary period of hire on the battery coming to an end, the second sentence of which is:

"The terms and conditions of your Battery Hire Agreement do not allow you to purchase the battery."

I'm reasonably sure this is not true. Has anyone else had this and what, if anything, have you done?

* Not the dealer who sold me the car as they're the other side of the country and were bought out a couple of years ago
I had to buy my battery out through a dealer (not from RCI). It was a simple process. The dealer looked up the cost of the battery and I simply transferred the money to the dealer. I think the registration document was then sent by the dealer to Swansea so that it could be recorded that it was no longer a leased battery. It seemed to take RCI a month or two to register that the battery had been purchased but otherwise everything went very smoothly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to buy my battery out through a dealer (not from RCI). It was a simple process. The dealer looked up the cost of the battery and I simply transferred the money to the dealer. I think the registration document was then sent by the dealer to Swansea so that it could be recorded that it was no longer a leased battery. It seemed to take RCI a month or two to register that the battery had been purchased but otherwise everything went very smoothly.
Could you divulge which dealer you did this through? My local dealers say it can't be done; clearly they're just being lazy.

Thanks

·
Registered
423 Posts
Could you divulge which dealer you did this through? My local dealers say it can't be done; clearly they're just being lazy.

Thanks
The transaction was through Warrington Motors who sadly are no longer Nissan dealers. It was certainly done without difficulty in 2016. I do not know if the rules have now changed, but I would be surprised if they had. The dealer was able to look up on his computer the cost of buying the battery and I simply transferred the money to him and he paid off RCI - although as mentioned above it took RCI a couple of months to stop demanding the rent on the battery! - in the end they repaid the excess I had paid them.

If your dealer fails to organise the buy out for you it might be worth checking with RCI what the position is now. When I did it the buy back could only be done through the dealer. I am not sure if the dealer gets any commission which is perhaps why they do not seem to be keen on carrying out the transaction! I assume you have approached the dealer who sold the car?

If you are still stuck it may be worth contacting Miles Roberts at Chorley Group (see the first post in this thread). It was his post that made me realise I could buy the battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The transaction was through Warrington Motors who sadly are no longer Nissan dealers. It was certainly done without difficulty in 2016. I do not know if the rules have now changed, but I would be surprised if they had. The dealer was able to look up on his computer the cost of buying the battery and I simply transferred the money to him and he paid off RCI - although as mentioned above it took RCI a couple of months to stop demanding the rent on the battery! - in the end they repaid the excess I had paid them.

If your dealer fails to organise the buy out for you it might be worth checking with RCI what the position is now. When I did it the buy back could only be done through the dealer. I am not sure if the dealer gets any commission which is perhaps why they do not seem to be keen on carrying out the transaction! I assume you have approached the dealer who sold the car?

If you are still stuck it may be worth contacting Miles Roberts at Chorley Group (see the first post in this thread). It was his post that made me realise I could buy the battery.
Many thanks. I've called Nissan's Head Office to see if they can help. RCI already came back to me directly with the valuation.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Battery leasing doesn't make any sense at all, impossible to sell a car with a leased battery given used leaf prices with owned batteries.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We have a 24KW Tekna 15 plate has anyone purchased a battery for one recently and can give me an idea of the cost? We have 1 payment left and will own the car and are debating do we keep or buy the battery and trade. We still love the car but would like the extra mileage for my commute (140 miles). We still have 12 bars.

·
Registered
423 Posts
We have a 24KW Tekna 15 plate has anyone purchased a battery for one recently and can give me an idea of the cost? We have 1 payment left and will own the car and are debating do we keep or buy the battery and trade. We still love the car but would like the extra mileage for my commute (140 miles). We still have 12 bars.
The purchase has to be made through a Nissan dealer (unless this has changed). They can obtain a quote for you on their computers very quickly.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Personally I wouldn't buy it out as it will rarely get that value back at resale. And while it's being paid it's under warranty too...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Personally I wouldn't buy it out as it will rarely get that value back at resale. And while it's being paid it's under warranty too...
We can’t trade until we buy the battery out but it could mean we will hang onto this car And don’t buy the battery out. My husband didn’t get chance to call today.

·
Registered
423 Posts
We have been advised to call RCI.
This did not used to be the case (but might have changed). When I bought my Leaf battery it could ONLY be done through a Nissan dealer and not through RCI. My dealer was very good and gave me the price within a few hours of my request. I fear some dealers may not know how the procedure works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my 2014 flex mid Feb and RCI still has not been in touch. The private seller informed them on the sale of the vehicle. I wonder when they eventually get in touch would they chase for backdated payments or whether they have decided they have their money and do not want the liability of an elderly battery! Has anyone here had experience of this?

101 - 114 of 114 Posts