Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi good people

I'm considering buying a S 2014 Series 1, which is out of warranty by one year. Obviously the battery and drive unit are covered, but I understand that this doesn't necessarily include charging issues.

It is a great price, has done 15,000 miles only, but has been sitting for some time- last tax ran out in Nov 2018. I have no idea if it was regularly charged after the tax finished. Battery shows 93%, but no idea if it's holding that charge.

There is very limited information available on the car - I haven't seen it in person.

If I buy it and it turns out to be a 'dud', what are the common faults and how much could I need to spend to get these fixed?

I appreciate that this is all quite ambiguous, but I am keen to become a Tesla owner and this seems like the ideal opportunity. I'm happy to get work done, but just need a little heads up on how costly this 'project' might become.

Comments and thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'd want to see if its charges and extrapolate the state of charge and miles to see what you'd get - if its an 85 battery you'd want to see over 200 miles at 100%

The eMMC issue is unlikely to be an issue - its the memory effecively wearing out with lots of rewrites - with 15k miles its hardly been used

Common issues are door handles and the screen - out of warranty the doors are a relatively cheap fix if you can DIY strip it down and replace the parts. Labour wouldn't be that much for a decent mechanic if that was needed.:

The big screen can yellow around the edge, there's a Tesla fix now but functionally it still works so you might not be worried.

Suspension can play up but again I douby thats likely to be a big issue.

Never say never and all that... anything could go wrong

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hi good people

I'm considering buying a S 2014 Series 1, which is out of warranty by one year. Obviously the battery and drive unit are covered, but I understand that this doesn't necessarily include charging issues.

It is a great price, has done 15,000 miles only, but has been sitting for some time- last tax ran out in Nov 2018. I have no idea if it was regularly charged after the tax finished. Battery shows 93%, but no idea if it's holding that charge.

There is very limited information available on the car - I haven't seen it in person.

If I buy it and it turns out to be a 'dud', what are the common faults and how much could I need to spend to get these fixed?

I appreciate that this is all quite ambiguous, but I am keen to become a Tesla owner and this seems like the ideal opportunity. I'm happy to get work done, but just need a little heads up on how costly this 'project' might become.

Comments and thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks in advance
Sounds interesting, type of car I get really interested in (especially at a good price).

However most of the times somehow the sums don't add up.

Does it have AP1?

Be interested to hear what you feel a good price is, Model S can be brought from about £28k nowadays.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'd want to see if its charges and extrapolate the state of charge and miles to see what you'd get - if its an 85 battery you'd want to see over 200 miles at 100%

The eMMC issue is unlikely to be an issue - its the memory effecively wearing out with lots of rewrites - with 15k miles its hardly been used

Common issues are door handles and the screen - out of warranty the doors are a relatively cheap fix if you can DIY strip it down and replace the parts. Labour wouldn't be that much for a decent mechanic if that was needed.:

The big screen can yellow around the edge, there's a Tesla fix now but functionally it still works so you might not be worried.

Suspension can play up but again I douby thats likely to be a big issue.

Never say never and all that... anything could go wrong
Out of interest, if it was a higher mileage car with eMMC issue, what would be the fix for that if out of warranty? Having the whole MCU replaced will be costly.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Out of interest, if it was a higher mileage car with eMMC issue, what would be the fix for that if out of warranty? Having the whole MCU replaced will be costly.
Company in the US refresh them I understand, so you never get the problem again, they also open up a way for them to 'talk to your car' great video on YouTube, if you look at Rich Rebuilds, it's one of those.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys - decided not to go for it. It was £28k, but decided it wasn't worth the risk. Appreciate the comments.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Company in the US refresh them I understand, so you never get the problem again, they also open up a way for them to 'talk to your car' great video on YouTube, if you look at Rich Rebuilds, it's one of those.
There a Dutch company that does it as well but you need to do it before it fails as they copy some essential data across as I understand it (the data that codes it to the car)

If it goes bang and you have to buy a new one its a couple of grand I believe

·
Registered
514 Posts
Here's the video if anyone is interested, found it very interesting personally, link directly to piece about eMMC.

Wouldn't bother me too much as I know it can be sorted

·
Registered
714 Posts
There a Dutch company that does it as well but you need to do it before it fails as they copy some essential data across as I understand it (the data that codes it to the car)

If it goes bang and you have to buy a new one its a couple of grand I believe
Do you have a link or details on which company that is? Would be useful as a pro-active measure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tell us more! How comes it wasn't being used? Any story behind it? Spec?
No idea - it sat in a compound for over 3 month's. Tesla told me it was still a supported vehicle, but wouldn't tell me anything else without the previous owner's permission. It was untaxed for over a year. Maybe the previous owner died(?) It sold at auction today. The new owner will need to get it started without anywhere to charge it from on the site... Be interesting to see if the new owner joins the forum...

·
Registered
60 Posts
My MCU has just failed. 50k miles and 4 years old. I will ask when I pick up the car if it is a flash memory failure. I suspect it was.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Do you have a link or details on which company that is? Would be useful as a pro-active measure.
Sorry, not really. Take a look at this thread, if it’s not them it might help find who it was

1 - 15 of 15 Posts